Safe to delete $NtUninstall* dirs in Windows directory?

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
I'm going through and clearing out space on my C: drive. There is at least 90MB of being taken up by those uninstall directories. Is it safe to delete them? I'm not planning on doing an uninstall for any of those fixes. Maybe future fixes, but not the ones currently installed.

Can I delete them and not worry?

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
It won't blow anything up if you do. Is that what you wanted to know?

they contain a snapshot of files altered during update installs. They are usefull for correcting dll mismatches if there is a problem with an update install. They get automatically deleted when you install a service pack that includes them (XPsp2 for instance).

I would recommend leaving them in place unless you are reallying hurting for drive space. 90MB? Just how bad is your space right now?

edit: I would HIGHLY recommend you leave $NTServicepackuninstall$ in place even if you decide to delete the rest.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
It's Windows 2000 Pro with SP4. I'm trying to install Office updates but I think it's low of space on the C: drive.

I just decided to move those directories to another drive for the moment.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
You can actually keep those directories permanently on another drive if you want... You'll just need to update the uninstall txt files in them before they can ever be used from recovery console.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
Office update finished. It used up around 300MB of space during the update process. :p I just moved the folders back. Less for me to think about if I don't mess with them.

Thanks for the help. It was pretty informative.