SAF Sues in New York to Void 'Good Cause' Carry Permit Requirement

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This guy is hitting unconstitutional gun laws at every angle. Same guy that won the Heller and Chicago handgun bans. With the right to keep and bear arms now a fundamental civil right any infringement is unconstitutional. I see him winning this one as well. Keep knocking down the gun laws, one by one, building precedent to hopefully go after the big ones. He's also suing NC's law that you can't bear arms during time of emergency as well as "Heller 2".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20100715/pl_usnw/DC35941

BELLEVUE, Wash., July 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Second Amendment Foundation has filed a federal lawsuit against Westchester County, New York and its handgun permit licensing officers, seeking a permanent injunction against enforcement of a state law that allows carry licenses to be denied because applicants cannot show "good cause."

SAF is joined in the lawsuit by Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov, both Westchester County residents whose permit applications were denied. Kachalsky's denial was because he could not "demonstrate a need for self protection distinguishable from that of the general public." Nikolov's was denied because she could not demonstrate that there was "any type of threat to her own safety anywhere." In addition to Westchester County, Susan Cacace and Jeffrey Cohen, both serving at times as handgun permit licensing officers, are named as defendants. The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, White Plains Division.

Attorney Alan Gura is representing the plaintiffs, along with attorney Vincent Gelardi with Gelardi & Randazzo of Rye Brook, NY. Gura recently represented SAF and the Illinois State Rifle Association in their landmark Second Amendment Supreme Court victory over the City of Chicago.

Under New York Penal Code Section 400.00, handgun carry permit applicants must "demonstrate good cause for the issuance of a permit," the lawsuit alleges. This requirement violates the Second Amendment, according to the plaintiffs.

"American citizens like Alan Kachalsky and Christina Nikolov should not have to demonstrate good cause in order to exercise a constitutionally-protected civil right," noted SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. "Our civil rights, including the right to keep and bear arms, should not be subject to the whims of a local government or its employees, just because they don't think someone 'needs' a carry permit. Nobody advocates arming criminals or mental defectives, but honest citizens with clean records should not be denied out of hand."

"Thanks to our recent victory before the Supreme Court," Gottlieb stated, "the Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a 'Bill of Needs'."

The case is filed as Kachalsky v. Cacace, U.S. Dist. Ct. S.D. N.Y. 10-05413

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nation's oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 650,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

SOURCE Second Amendment Foundation

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I hope they win. I can't wait til they hit up CA and smash our idiotic laws.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I live in NY state and it has the most idiotic laws. The only reason this law exists was so a political boss could hand out permits as favors and keep his enemies from legally owning them . I shit you not.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I live in NY state and it has the most idiotic laws. The only reason this law exists was so a political boss could hand out permits as favors and keep his enemies from legally owning them . I shit you not.

Correct. That's normally the case with laws like this, new york is nothing different.

Gura is picking the low hanging fruit, the easy ones to defeat. It's a brilliant strategy actually. Oh, and CA's laws WILL be next. That's why the recent chicago McDonald ruling was so important - the 2nd amendment is now a basic fundamental civil right. That's a big deal, very big deal. Now any gun laws must stand up to strict scrutiny on if they address a very narrow and specific reason for the law.

Last edited:

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Is it correct that you can't even OWN a handgun in NY state without a permit?
Correct. In Broome County (upstate, 3+ hours from NYC), it's about 6 month wait, requires fingerprints, references, etc just for a purchase permit. Counties can be more or less restrictive but that's probably about the norm.

Though in this county I have heard that lately, carry permits are amazingly being given to average citizens, after an 8 hour class (which I have no issue with) and such. I have yet to see this first hand as I might be moving.

Still, there is the ridiculous "high capacity" magazine ban, so no pistol or rifle can have more than 10 rounders.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
It's a shame so many people feel a need to carry. By that I don't mean shame on those people, I mean this country has gone down the shitter so much that these people believe they have a legitimate reason just for personal protection.

It's gotten to the point that if you work in a high stress job you'd want to be able to protect yourself from some fellow employee who's gone postal and the only way to do that is to be packing yourself.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
I'm a Nassau County, New York resident. We have the very same idiotic law here. It is common knowledge that it is impossible to obtain a carry permit in the County. Even though I doubt I would personally ever want to carry a handgun, I hope this lawsuit is successful.

Note that every police union and benevolent group in New York will come out against this lawsuit. They will claim they are concerned about safety, but the real reason will be that because retired and off-duty police are the only people in the State who may legally carry, they have a monopoly and usually earn significant money moonlighting as armed security guards.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
From the sound of it that should be a slam dunk. The law basically turns the constitutional right upside down, requiring honest citizens to somehow prove their need to have a weapon, when the constitution gives them the right to bear arms regardless of need. All these stupid laws need to go the way of the dodo.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
From the sound of it that should be a slam dunk. The law basically turns the constitutional right upside down, requiring honest citizens to somehow prove their need to have a weapon, when the constitution gives them the right to bear arms regardless of need. All these stupid laws need to go the way of the dodo.

Should indeed be a slam dunk post McDonald v. Chicago, but it won't be. While all three district judges in White Plains are Bush II appointees, they would not have been appointed without approval of both of New York's very liberal and anti-gun senators Chuck Schumer and (at that time) Hillary Clinton. Add to that the number of anti-gun zealots on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and I predict this one may have to go up to the Supreme Court.

Westchester County, wasting your money on lawyers to fight against your right to exercise your Constitutional rights.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I dont doubt it.
Gun control is concerned with exactly that: Control.
It has nothing to do with safety.