Sadly, my old man died this morning!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

What a horrible thing to go through anytime, but even more bitter during the holidays. :(

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Thats horrible.

:(

I'd be looking into why he was even able to get out in the first place without someone knowing.

Best of luck to you and your family in this time of grieving.

Aug 23, 2000
rose.gif

Don't take legal action, just let the police do what they do. All that will happen by you taking it to civil court is you will drag out the grief and make his memory one of trying to cash in instead of celebrating his life and accomplishments.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
My condolences. My mother was in a nursing home for about two years because she was in a car wreck and was rendered mentally and physically retarded. One day while at college I got a call saying that she was in the hospital. It turns out that she had not had anything to drink in like three days. She died a few days later.

I hope that you don't let up on these people. If they were at fault (and it sounds like they are), make sure you take legal action. Money won't bring him back, but maybe it will make that place think twice about its security.

rose.gif

What is it with everyone wanting to sue just because someone died? I know it's a loss when a family member dies, but do you really need to sue?

I'd say that the problem in your case was that severely mentally handicapped at the time of death. It's not the hospital's fault. I'm not sure why people feel the need to keep someone alive if they're in a vegetative state. They're no longer a functioning person, and the real loss occurred when the brain damage occurred.

Do people really feel better if theykeep a lump of flesh alive so that they can visit it? It sounds like they need to let go. Remember Terri Shiavo's wacked parents? They kept claiming that Terri was smiling at them and recognising them when the hospital folks weren't looking. After the death, they looked at the brain and found that it was completely atrophied away, it was dead. The parents were just lying.

Sorry about the loss, but suing isn't going to bring anyone back. You just lost a loved one, you didn't hit the lottery.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
My condolences. My mother was in a nursing home for about two years because she was in a car wreck and was rendered mentally and physically retarded. One day while at college I got a call saying that she was in the hospital. It turns out that she had not had anything to drink in like three days. She died a few days later.

I hope that you don't let up on these people. If they were at fault (and it sounds like they are), make sure you take legal action. Money won't bring him back, but maybe it will make that place think twice about its security.

rose.gif

What is it with everyone wanting to sue just because someone died? I know it's a loss when a family member dies, but do you really need to sue?

I'd say that the problem in your case was that severely mentally handicapped at the time of death. It's not the hospital's fault. I'm not sure why people feel the need to keep someone alive if they're in a vegetative state. They're no longer a functioning person, and the real loss occurred when the brain damage occurred.

Do people really feel better if theykeep a lump of flesh alive so that they can visit it? It sounds like they need to let go. Remember Terri Shiavo's wacked parents? They kept claiming that Terri was smiling at them and recognising them when the hospital folks weren't looking. After the death, they looked at the brain and found that it was completely atrophied away, it was dead. The parents were just lying.

Sorry about the loss, but suing isn't going to bring anyone back. You just lost a loved one, you didn't hit the lottery.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss, Number1.

91TTZ, someone was probably paying a great deal of money for this place to take care of his father. It is pretty clear that they failed. They will not just give up money and take blame for what happened because people will start moving their loved ones to places they can trust. If he wants to recover some of the money that was spent he will probably have to sue unless they offer some settlement amount in exchange for his silence.

If people just let places like that get away with these kinds of things it will only happen more and more often.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Sorry for your loss man. I am sure language fails you right now.

I had a great-grandmother in a nursing home, she got out twice and rolled down the hill in the back of the property. She broke her hip, had her leg taken off, I dont think my grandpa did anything about it. She died.

I hate those places they make me sick. Just visitng her there made me decide to take care of my parents if I need to. In the past you kept your family with you. I feel like thats the only way I would know they are safe.

Sorry to rant and I mean no disrespect.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Well, she could hold a conversation and what not, but she certainly wasn't normal. If I had to guess, I'd say her IQ was around 50 or 60. She could also walk with a walker, and she attended the little gatherings they had where they played music or whatever. She could feed herself and go to the bathroom by herself, and what not.

It sounds to me like his dad was in a much better state than Terry Shaivo. Regardless, it's their *job* to watch over people. It's like saying that the day care killed your new baby by leaving it outside, but it doesn't really matter because you only had a month to get attached to it.

As for the money in my case, I don't want the money, I want the place closed. When the lawyers asked me about this stuff, I said I'd rather have 10 minutes in a locked room with the nurses who were supposed to give my mother water and a baseball bat.

Failing that, I'd like to see them lose their jobs and have the place closed down. My grandmother, who was in the same nursing home, died of similar issues a couple of months later. In my mind, this place deserved to be sued.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.