Saddam to speak today...CNN (Not a joke)...17:00GMT

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Was at the bank a bit ago and they have a TV on with CNN and a reporter was mentioning Saddam was going to speak on TV in a bit. I didn't catch the time he said but I gathered it was going to be rather soon.

Haven't seen a link on CNN's site or others, yet.

Will be interesting to see if he mentions anything specific about the war.

Just saw it on breaking news on BBC's site...1700GMT

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
It was not Saddam. It was the Minister of Information reading a supposed statement from Saddam.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Yep, basically just a rallying speech. He made some references to an invasion of Iraq over 700 years ago, and told the Iraqi's they would be awarded a trip to heaven if they died fighting the "evil invaders"...the "satans". So...same old, same old..

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Personally, I think he is alive, but he was severly injured in the first attack. I think the first video of Saddam after that, the one with him wearing glasses was real, but all the following ones have been from recent video footage. I also think both sons were killed in the attack, and that Saddam being paranoid that someone close to him betrayed him, does not want to come out of hiding for fear we will nail him. Only time will tell I guess...

Edit:

Also, the fact that we have seen no more videos of him that were like that first one may mean his condition has worsened to the point that he can't make a new video.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I quite agree, Insane3D!

I didn't catch the speech but since it wasn't Saddam speaking live...well...I really doubt he's much in control of things.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Yep, it's pretty clear that something is up. If Saddam was alive and well he'd definitely show his face and give a speech saying all is well. I too subscribe to the belief that he's alive, but either incapacitated, disfigured or near death. I also think some member of the family is probably alive and in charge. If Saddam and his sons were all out of the action, it's likely that the leaders would be seeking out some terms of surrender. Only one of Husseins family would be pushing for the fight to the death since they're the targets. The other leadership would not be be willing to decimate the country to protect an already dead regime.

Best guess - Saddam is lying in a hospital bed either comatose or too badly injured to be propped up in front of a camera for 20 seconds. His son Qusai is running things.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I still think he's a clever b*stard who would like nothing more than to convince the world he's gone/dead. IMHO this is most likely just another example.

Andy

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well I think that he's either severly injured or dead. Now would be the time for him to address the Iraqi's and showe his face to help boost their and his soldiers moral going into the battle of Baghdad.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Has anyone else heard that we broke his back with the bombing? Like he is now paralised from waist down.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Well I think that he's either severly injured or dead. Now would be the time for him to address the Iraqi's and showe his face to help boost their and his soldiers moral going into the battle of Baghdad.

Totally agreed. Which makes me think the same. His face on LIVE TV, rallying the population/troops would be huge right now. But it isn't happening. You know all the Iraqi's are talking about the same rumors...some of them have satellite dishes...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Reminds me of the quote from The Usual Suspects: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist."

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bigsmooth
Reminds me of the quote from The Usual Suspects: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist."

The only problem with that statement is that Keyser Sose was a genius. Saddam isn't. He's a thug, plain and simple. Cunning, sure, but not intelligent.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Personally, I think he is alive, but he was severly injured in the first attack. I think the first video of Saddam after that, the one with him wearing glasses was real, but all the following ones have been from recent video footage. I also think both sons were killed in the attack, and that Saddam being paranoid that someone close to him betrayed him, does not want to come out of hiding for fear we will nail him. Only time will tell I guess...

Edit:

Also, the fact that we have seen no more videos of him that were like that first one may mean his condition has worsened to the point that he can't make a new video.
I firmly believe he wants "you" to think exactly that. ;)

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
2 possibilites by him not doing anything live, he's dead or serioulsy fubar, or he wants you to think that... I want definitive proof, his head will be fine.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
2 possibilites by him not doing anything live, he's dead or serioulsy fubar, or he wants you to think that... I want definitive proof, his head will be fine.

Precisely why we havent seen waves of Iraqi happy to see us there. They want proof the wicked witch is dead.

Im sure it will greatly sadden some of the resident anti americans on this forum if he truly is.

Sxotty

Apr 30, 2002
I agree with insane3d also, but I further think that he killed the leak, the reason is that otherwise we would know if he was alive or dead.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Originally posted by: Alistar7

Precisely why we havent seen waves of Iraqi happy to see us there. They want proof the wicked witch is dead.

Im sure it will greatly sadden some of the resident anti americans on this forum if he truly is.

In the areas where average Iraqi citizens feel safe they are helping US and British troops in delivering aid, and restoring water and power to areas, etc..

I agree public sentiment will be much different once they can all speak freely.

I just spent about an hour talking, mostly listening, to the maint guy at my Apt building, he is from Cuba, came over during the Mariel boatlift in 1980 when he was 14, he still has family over there.
According to him the Cuban people would kiss our feet if we did them this same favor...