Sacred 2 - worth playing if I enjoyed Titan Quest and Diablo 2?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I liked it and played for a good amount of time. It is a complex game and I like games that are complex. Many stats and ways to make your toon really good or really bad. The artwork is great as well. Some people don't like the "fantasy" the game creates. It's more making fun of fantasy - the voice acting is over the top and they know some of the quests are plots that have been done to death but I find that part of its charm.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It's decent. Seems to be really easy, though I forget what difficulty I used so that may be why. I quit playing it after awhile as it was just really repetitive and there wasn't much story to keep me going. lots of quests to do and explorer though. there are a few things I don't like about it too. Spells almost seem worthless (at least for the Seraphim i was playing).

Pelu

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2008
lol Seraphim.... pick up tons of Bee Eff Gee and get ready to some pwnage... but in the long haul... this game feels like a loot fest...

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
BFG sera will get boring. The thing about the game is you can grind your way through it 4 times and have built your character wrong and it will die :0 also i think the main story line was missing in the cracked version :) not 100% on that.

don't just eat a bunch of runes. You want to balance power with recharge times. Do the math sometimes a level 1 charge that you can fire every second does more then the mega booty you shoot once a minute.

Play hardcore if you want a real challenge but I would recommend going through the game on normal first.

You will be lost at first as there is a ton to do and open up and lots of choices that cant be undone.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I went high elf first time, got to around level 60 and it was ridiculously easy as my character was quite overpowered (cast blazing tempest and watch a screen full of bad guys die... repeat). I had a lot of fun with it over lan with my brother for maybe half a week but it got very boring and repetitive and I couldn't see myself playing it further. There really is no story or reason to keep on playing after a certain point. Bosses are very easy and regular mobs fall over with one hit if you build your character properly. I spent most of my time rounding up as many bad guys as I could and killing them with an aoe. Overall I'd say it was better than Titan Quest but nowhere close to Diablo 2. It's is somewhat WoWesque in its interface.

I also had some major issues with the game crashing/freezing and the minimap causing issues where some things were not visible and required alt tabbing repeatedly to fix it, but only on one of my computers oddly enough.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It's a decent game, solid I would say, I rate it a good 6.5/10, but it's not entirely stable, there's many noticeable bugs, but the game world is very, very big, there's around 600 side quests, if not more than that, five difficulty settings (last one being the best, Niobium), superb graphics, decent although not varied music, silly character one-liners but can be funny at times (Seraphim voice over is horrendous, but it somehow makes it funny sometimes, for me anyway). The story is weak, but it unfolds nicely, the main bosses are relatively easy, but the very last one is quite a pain in the back, although the last level itself and the regular mods of that level are much more challenging than the final boss (final boss in plural, you'll understand once you get there, I don't want to spoil too much).

And there's the expansion pack, Ice & Blood, which includes two new areas, a new character, new items and a serious overall buff to enemies (from what I've read), it's released in Europe but isn't yet available in North America, it's supposed to be released here next month. The expansion also supposedly fixes a couple of issues but still has a few ones such as the infamous "black screen with cursor and nothing else" after entering or exiting any indoor area from outdoor, or vice versa, and some others. I myself am playing off-line in single-player, I tried to play on-line and only play on American servers but the ping is horrible (their "American" servers are located in Europe, last I heard, but Europe or not it doesn't seem to make a difference), I always end up either getting disconnected or dying due to lag spikes, but it's not a big deal since the game is pretty much dead on-line, I don't think I ever saw more than a dozen people playing at any given point, so staying off-line is not a big loss, but still a shame.

I played Titan Quest for about two weeks and I uninstalled it, it felt very bland and boring, more so than Sacred 2, but to each their own taste, I just prefer Sacred 2 overall, but as much as I hate saying it the one point that Sacred 2 really shines about really is its graphics, if you play it at maximum settings with the PhysX effects enabled, it's a very beautiful world, superb lightning and shadows effects, the water is barely equaled in any recent games I can think of, the textures quality is something you see occurring very rarely in PC gaming due to multi-platform games, Sacred 2 was ported to the Consoles, rather than being ported from them, and Ascaron really did take advantages of PC hardware, even with my GTX 285, if I play at maximum settings I get regular slow downs in populated areas and especially at night time with the dynamic shadows in cities and towns, but it's really worth it just to look at.

To reiterate, overall Sacred 2 is decent, it's nothing special but it can certainly fulfill that thirst for hack and slash in the meantime until Diablo 2's next patch or until Diablo 3 comes out.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Sacred 2 - worth playing if I enjoyed Titan Quest and Diablo 2

No, absolutely not. Stay away. This is a piece of crap game. If you want to play Sacred, you are better off playing the original 1st Sacred.

Sacred 2 is a very mediocre game with a very mediocre story, horrible camera, and absolutely stunning graphics. It's just a bunch of wasted potential.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Hmmm...so the comments here basically match the reviews. Thanks for the comments thus far.

ibex333 - did you like Titan Quest?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
there aren't any huge problems, its just several small problems that are annoying or were just done better in previous games.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I don't know if I got lucky but the only time I've played it my character could walk through the enemies like hot knife through butter, and therefore I found it boring.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Well I bought it. Because i'm bored and killing time for Dragon Age.

Haven't actually played the damn thing yet because the install takes forever and then it wants to patch itself to hell and back.

Will try tomorrow.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
My personal opinion, (and nothing more):
TQ > D2 > D1 > Sacred 1 > > > > > Sacred 2

Also there was a small game called Harbinger that was like a sci-fi Diablo 2, but it didnt do well.
And I just played Hellgate:London the other day (demo only includes Blademaster and Marksman) and while it was fun it wasnt awesome. Will not buy. Espcially when I keep hearing that Blademaster is by far the best class and the others struggle to keep up. They had no class balance at all in that game.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
stinkypinky a few tips:

1. expect some false starts
2. play online closed so that you can share items between characters. It helps when you start again for the 10th time to have a ton of uber 1st level stuff and some random crap to sell and get a bit of starter money.
3. Go read about builds

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I love it. Still playing it... I love this kind of game.

I would outright kill for a TQ2.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
They ever patch out the install limits for this game?

I've wanted to buy and play it, since I enjoyed the first one. I normally don't mind drm in my game, all except for install limits, and I remember I didn't buy this one because of that.

If they've patched it out though, I'll see about buying it.

Just wish I could remember to do a search on it when I'm not at work though

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I thought it was decent not great but I got my moneys worth.

I played Dryad class which was too powerful especially later on.
Price wise its bargain basement now so yeah worth a try.