Question Sabrent 1tb M.2 PCIe 4 or Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2

Pumice

Jan 17, 2011
Building computer from the ground up. Plan is to get the Ryzen 3900XT and X570 mobo.

Since I am getting the PCIe 4.0 capable Ryzen and mobo, which 1tb storage to go with?

Sabrent or Corsair PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2

Samsung is only PCIe 3.0

Johnny Lucky

Apr 14, 2012
www.johnnylucky.org
If you are ready to buy, then I am inclined to agree with aigomorla. However, if you are not in a hurry, then there might be an alternative. Last January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Samsung showed off their new 980 Pro, PCI-e 4.0x4, M.2, NVME ssd that outperformed the current PCI-e 4.0 x 4 ssd's. At the time the Samsung representatives stated that the release was planned for the second quarter of this year which ends this June 30th. Apparently the release date was overly optimistic. My own sources as well as several articles published in the last few days indicate that Samsung will release the 980 Pro in August. Historically, the August release date is typical for Samsung. The company usually announces new products at a large event in August.

Now, having said that, it is only fair that I mention a few things. First, Samsung charges a premium for their drives. They are usually more expensive than other brands. Second, although the 980 Pro can outperform the current PCI-e 4.0x4 ssd's, the increase in performance may not be noticeable to the typical user. Third, although the new release date is August, it may take some time before the new model is available for purchase. Finally, the decision whether to purchase or not is a personal matter.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think that the important thing, is not so much absolute performance, but the lithography that the controller chip(set) is fabricated with, and the thermals that it puts out, which can really put a dent in performance if not kept in check. This is especially true with PCI-E 4.0 NVMe SSDs.