Saab 9-3 Aero Thoughts?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Went test driving this weekend and drove a 9-3 Aero & MazdaSpeed 6 GT. Will be buying 1yr used.

I'm a car guy through and through but also am frugal. I'm no fan of BMW's, Lexus, Acura or MBZ. Way too common in the bay area plus standing apart from the crowd (exclusivity) is a good thing. Plus these cars do not depreciate as fast, therefore they are out of my price range. Hondas & Toyotas bore me.

What else should I be driving?

The Saab was refined, decent sized back seat, every luxury item I could ever dream of, clutch had a light feel to it which was nice, manual trans felt good. No severe torque steer like I had anticipated. Steeering was nice, suspenison was firm, handled well, soaked up the bumps, very quiet interior. Wished I could have heard more exhaust note as it was really quiet.

0-60 6.0s and 1/4 mile 14.5s Plenty fast for me and I'm sure this car would do 150+mph if I ever wanted it to. Pic of 9-3 Aero on Custom 17" Saab Wheels!

MazdaSpeed 6 was nice. Roomier than the Saab. Interior was very nice and I liked the materials used. Did not like the clutch at all, I adjusted the seat and steering wheel 3 times beofre I actually felt somewhat comfortable. Shifter was good, car was loud! Loud exhaust, intake, and tire roar on the highway. They skimped on the sound proofing. Felt heavier and not as tossable the Saab. Definitely felt the turbo lag. 6spd on the freeway at 80mph was also a bit buzzy at 3000+rpm.

Want to spend about $24,000.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Subaru legacy gt wagon! You definitely won't see as many of you out there. You can find an 05 manual gt wagon (only year they were offered in manual) for less then 24 easy.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Subaru legacy gt wagon! You definitely won't see as many of you out there. You can find an 05 manual gt wagon (only year they were offered in manual) for less then 24 easy.

No chance I'm driving a wagon, the 9-3 Aero that I'm looking at is a sedan.

The Legacy GT is a good choice. Not sure if it's as peaky as the MazdaSpeed 6, turbo on turbo off. I may test drive that soon as well.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I drove a 2005 9-3 aero for a few hundred miles. I've also driven a 2005 legacy gt.

I'm not particulary fond the newer saabs but I liked it more than the legacy.

What's you end up buying?

Rogo

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Lots of these cars here.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Saab's are among the worst in reliability and despite being AWD, it pulls mostly from the front wheels. FWD = BLEH

If I was to get one, I'd lease a new one and make sure my lease ended at or before the time the warranty expired.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Saab's are among the worst in reliability and despite being AWD, it pulls mostly from the front wheels. FWD = BLEH

If I was to get one, I'd lease a new one and make sure my lease ended at or before the time the warranty expired.

:confused: Saab isnt AWD, except for the 9-2X and the SUV.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

And the 9-2 is the sabaru, basically an impreza with a couple suspension/interior upgrades, nice car but alot more money.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I thought the 9-3 had a AWD option now... maybe it's the new version. Anyways, another reason to avoid Saabs.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
Seriously, go with Mazda or Subaru. They Saab might look a little fancier but I can assure you it's only in looks and that won't stop the rest of your car from falling apart on your in a few years. (This is an even bigger concern because you are buying a USED Saab.)

EDIT: My friends and I call anyone complaining about a Saab, a "Saab Story", because they are hilarious and always self induced.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
If you want a Saab you might look at the 9-5 over the 9-3. Much better car.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
Seriously, go with Mazda or Subaru. They Saab might look a little fancier but I can assure you it's only in looks and that won't stop the rest of your car from falling apart on your in a few years. (This is an even bigger concern because you are buying a USED Saab.)

EDIT: My friends and I call anyone complaining about a Saab, a "Saab Story", because they are hilarious and always self induced.

lol

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

You mean the Saabaru?