[SA] GK110 aka GTX 680 release date: Late Q3 '12

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
@railven the difference between pointing out something is more expensive, and slower, and bragging is that 470 SLI was never fast in the first place. Tri, Quad, all options, it's nothing to brag about. 7970 quad fire would laugh at my performance, obviously you missed the memo on bragging or were fooled by users with one card attempting to brag about being a "enthusiast".

I don't worry about AMD or Nvidia, my only concern is me.

What I can get for how much is all that matters. Who has the top gpu or who doesn't means absolutely nothing to me.

What I care about is how much performance I can get per dollar spent. I'm very happy with what I have now, so very glad i held off on the 5xxx wagon that went around here same as the 7xxx is now. It's the same song and dance every generation and people are struck every time by the initial cards performance as if it wasn't expected.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
@railven the difference between pointing out something is more expensive, and slower, and bragging is that 470 SLI was never fast in the first place. Tri, Quad, all options, it's nothing to brag about. 7970 quad fire would laugh at my performance, obviously you missed the memo on bragging or were fooled by users with one card attempting to brag about being a "enthusiast".

I don't worry about AMD or Nvidia, my only concern is me.

What I can get for how much is all that matters. Who has the top gpu or who doesn't mean absolutely nothing to me.

What I care about is how much performance I can get per dollar spent. I'm very happy with what I have now, so very glad i held off on the 5xxx wagon that went around here same as the 7xxx is now. It's the same song and dance every generation and people are struck every time by the initial cards performance as if it wasn't expected.

Funny, because when people argue the exact same thing I just bold in your response, you quickly snicker and bring out the GTX 470s. Again, an arbitrary configuration that applies to only one person in the discussion, not easy to recreate or obtain, and then some benchmarks are exchanged that mean relatively nothing to the conversation about the perf:price ratio of the product being discussed.

Again, I could trump your configuration with two free HD 7970s, but what would that prove? That free is better than costly? Or that I'm a crook or an AMD shill haha. (I'm not, just using exaggerrated counter-points.)

I'm all for someone getting the best bang for their buck, I'm all against people shitting on that because it doesn't conform to their example and thus "LOL, you got ripped off" or some other nonsense trite about being pro-company/anti-consumer.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
my 7970 is not loud either. Sure you can hear it at full load with a heavy overclock but loud? No. It's just a whoosh of air sound. Not high pitched at all.

Now if you are manually cranking the fan speed up yes it can get very loud. Not really any louder than my 580 or 480 if you cranked the fan on those either.

Hot? I think not. My overclocked 7970 1125/1575 with stock fan profile barely touches the 80's in games. These are temps we have been seeing for years now and hardly considered anything but the norm.

I think the only way any of us are going to agree with Balla is if we say the 7970 sucks.

Sure his cards are impressive but those overclocks are hardly the norm nor is watercooling.

The fact that it takes 2 of your cards strung out under watercooling to match what a 7970 does easily speaks for both setups. Yes, Balla, Your setup is nice but comes with the draw backs of Sli, and there is a single gpu solution out there that is better called the 7970.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Funny, because when people argue the exact same thing I just bold in your response, you quickly snicker and bring out the GTX 470s. Again, an arbitrary configuration that applies to only one person in the discussion, not easy to recreate or obtain, and then some benchmarks are exchanged that mean relatively nothing to the conversation about the perf:price ratio of the product being discussed.

Again, I could trump your configuration with two free HD 7970s, but what would that prove? That free is better than costly? Or that I'm a crook or an AMD shill haha. (I'm not, just using exaggerrated counter-points.)

I'm all for someone getting the best bang for their buck, I'm all against people shitting on that because it doesn't conform to their example and thus "LOL, you got ripped off" or some other nonsense trite about being pro-company/anti-consumer.

It's not hard to get good deals on products, it's not my fault if you think it's a rare occurrence.

my 7970 is not loud either. Sure you can hear it at full load with a heavy overclock but loud? No. It's just a whoosh of air sound. Not high pitched at all.

Now if you are manually cranking the fan speed up yes it can get very loud. Not really any louder than my 580 or 480 if you cranked the fan on those either.

Hot? I think not. My overclocked 7970 1125/1575 with stock fan profile barely touches the 80's in games. These are temps we have been seeing for years now and hardly considered anything but the norm.

I think the only way any of us are going to agree with Balla is if we say the 7970 sucks.

Sure his cards are impressive but those overclocks are hardly the norm nor is watercooling.

The fact that it takes 2 of your cards strung out under watercooling to match what a 7970 does easily speaks for both setups. Yes, Balla, Your setup is nice but comes with the draw backs of Sli, and there is a single gpu solution out there that is better called the 7970.

Is your 7970 at 1250MHz on air? Reference air? Let's keep my comments in perspective, I'm already the focus of a witch hunt without adding misinformation to the menu.

No, it would sound just like them, they sound bad too though at high speeds.

We're talking about 1250, not 1125, with voltage added and power draw well over a stock 580.

I never said it sucks, it's good. Nothing better is out currently. It's not the second coming though, and it's not eclipsing last gen by so much everything else just became obsolete. It won't play any more games than what else is out will. It's not cheap either, there better options available for most people at 1200p or lower, 1600p is in the realm of $1000 screens for PC gaming, price/performance is not a factor anymore only performance and the 7970 is the best choice there.

Nor is a $550 video card, look around... There aren't a lot of 7970 users here, there aren't a lot of 580 users here either, many of those who have either only have one of them. Watercooling is about as normal as $550 cards if you ask me.

930MHz isn't strung out, and it eclipses the 7970 @ 1250MHz not *match* which if on reference air is at 100% fan speed on a open bench which would be annoying as all heck in a gaming situation. Everyone keeps talking about Nvidia as if their driver support for SLI is just as bad as AMD's CF support, it's not. Nvidia hasn't had negitive scaling while in SLI like AMD has commonly, and any problems they've had this year such as DA2 were fixed. They had SLI profiles for skyrim before it released, they have AO support for Skyrim, AMD still doesn't even support CF for 5xxx or 7xxx and it took them two months to add it for 6xxx. Don't confuse SLI with CF, they're not on the same level.

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
It's not hard to get good deals on products, it's not my fault if you think it's a rare occurrence.

Really? Damn, I thought we all only paid one price all the time. Here I thought you had an insider deal with nVidia which is how you score the GTX 470 for an amazing $150, on Black Friday.

I know who to go to for the scoop on firesales when I'm ready to buy.:rolleyes:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Your sarcasm is wasted on me.

Instead try wording your posts properly and you won't need to resort to sarcasm because you don't like the response your poorly worded post garnered.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I have nothing better to do, I'm a stay at home dad whose child is sleeping.

And yes that means I never paid a dime for my system, my woman did. Zing!

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I have nothing better to do, I'm a stay at home dad whose child is sleeping.

And yes that means I never paid a dime for my system, my woman did. Zing!

Slow day at work here too. I actually just slammed my head on my desk haha.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yea no, pretty obvious you disabled tess in driver control panel. No wait, your score is decent so you MUST have disabled any quality settings too. And you obviously ran unicorn piss as your loop coolant, giving you higher than normal clocks. There's a reason you got a good score and its definitely not because your setup is decent. Nope, I won't admit it. Wait, I dropped my pom poms.

Heh. See what I did there?

You cannot disable tessellation on Nvidia cards. Only AMD has this driver cheat...feature, cough.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
lol :)

Good to see some humor come from all of this, was getting too personal.

At the end of it, were just digital warriors trying to prove something that won't make a remote difference in the other person's life. Haha.

But at least it makes the time go by :)

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm testing 1250MHz on 1.25 volts right now... three hours of Skyrim, all is well. :) My Kill-a-Watt shows about 450 watts while gaming, my CPU is at ~35%. Does this set up draw more power than a GTX580? I don't know, but it's quite possible. But I think you are missing the poing, Balla. No one would care about power draw if the performance is there. The GTX480 drew a lot more power than the 5870 for not much more performance. I got to enjoy 5870 performance months before the GTX480 launched, there is alway something faster coming later. If Kepler comes out soonish and uses 50 more watts than a 7970 but offers 45% more performance, no one will care about the power, the performance justifies it.

I'm glad you enjoy your rig, I would certainly be happy with that overclock as well. I'm on the reference blower cooler and happily churning out 1250MHz. I imagine that 1250MHz and 3GB of vram will make this card last me a while. I think I'll get two years of useful gaming life out of it, maybe more. Anyway, I'm off to talk to the Greybeards in Skyrim... :)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
fullscreencapture121201.jpg

How about posting the actual link to the results? I want to see what the bolded text on the top of the results page would say ;)

kidsafe

Jan 5, 2003

Sometimes loudness is perception. My last three video cards have been a HD 7970, HD 5870 and a HD 4890. Before that I had a GTX 260...and I owned a Folding machine with three GTS 250s.

The NTK blower-style fan on AMD's reference coolers have a lower rumble than the Deltas used by Nvidia. It's more noticeable to me and I wish AMD would just switch to the Delta fans. Only one AMD/ATI reference design to date has used a Delta fan, and that was the original HD 4770. Only XFX shipped that reference design...everyone else used the cheaper flower-style heatsink and fan.