News [SA] AMD hires Intel vet to manage server unit

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
At a glance he joined Intel in Dec of '15. I'm not that familiar with him.

I don't feel like Intel has been all that successful in the last few years; can anyone link or speak to his personal success?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

I don't feel like Intel has been all that successful in the last few years; can anyone link or speak to his personal success?
Based on my knowledge of how the server space works, and where AMD WAS and where Intel WAS, I think the Intel side was a "gimmie" as they had almost all the servers. But now that AMD has the superior product, its changing, and I think with Intel experience (assuming this guy works hard), he may know how to leverage the Rome chips and make AMD a serious player/contender.

Now this is just my gut feel, don't hold me to it if he does not work out.

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Based on my knowledge of how the server space works, and where AMD WAS and where Intel WAS, I think the Intel side was a "gimmie" as they had almost all the servers. But now that AMD has the superior product, its changing, and I think with Intel experience (assuming this guy works hard), he may know how to leverage the Rome chips and make AMD a serious player/contender.

Now this is just my gut feel, don't hold me to it if he does not work out.
This, or something around this. I would suspect its the case of buying contacts. This is the guy who would be bringing in a team of engineers and sales people to a company. Lets say Dell. Maybe with a couple of tapeouts of their next few chips. Demo the performance difference on their current hardware using their (customer) tools, and get the sales guys to lockup intial shipments and stuff and at the end of the day goes out with Michael Dell to a restaurant for dinner to talk shop. Or maybe another VP. Point is, its the last part that AMD would really want. Get someone that knows the guys who make the real decisions, get them in a room. It has to be grating that no matter how much better Rome is for example Dell still isn't really offering it. Get guys who dine with the big wigs and you at least have a chance. Because its obvious that just being better isn't helping as much as it should.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Pretty much. This is the type of guy who knows the players in the industry. The people who push decisions down the ladder. It's a big win for AMD. Much more so since Intel still seems to be hemorrhaging employees via layoffs. I, too, wish that grandiose events with free kit and kaboodle along with paid food and open bars demoing your company's new focus when it's suffering in other metrics would be the fix to a company's issues, but it's wishful thinking. Especially with a product that's worth more in sincere words than an actual unit that doesn't resemble a carry on case.

Reactions: Zstream

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
This guy essentially was Altera personified at Intel. Altera is known for all the FPGAs, Intel bought them in 2015. McNamara joined Altera back in 2004.

To me this seems like a move strengthening AMD's server business in general and AMD's semi custom business (which is now part of the server business so part of McNamara responsibility) in particular. The latter can be very interesting since the server chip MCM packages should allow for plenty customization through FPGAs. Intel already has some offers in that area combining Intel chips with Altera FPGAs, and that (aside AVX512 etc.) is the one area where Intel still is unrivaled.

Reports say Intel is in process of restructuring their datacenter business (probably with the prospect of not being competitive in that market for a couple years) and laying off thousands of employees (once again) so there may even be room for AMD to grow without direct competition.

Reactions: HutchinsonJC

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This guy essentially was Altera personified at Intel. Altera is known for all the FPGAs, Intel bought them in 2015. McNamara joined Altera back in 2004.

To me this seems like a move strengthening AMD's server business in general and AMD's semi custom business (which is now part of the server business so part of McNamara responsibility) in particular.

To me it looks like McNamara got moved to Intel as a part of the Altera acquisition, and after four years of watching Intel's server business go into metldown, he's jumping ship for greener pastures elsewhere.

Reactions: guachi

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
To me it looks like McNamara got moved to Intel as a part of the Altera acquisition, and after four years of watching Intel's server business go into metldown, he's jumping ship for greener pastures elsewhere.
That appears to be the case indeed, AMD own page on him mentions:
"McNamara was senior vice president and general manager for Intel Corporation, where he led Intel’s Network and Custom Logic Group. Before this role, he was senior vice president of Intel’s Programmable Solutions Group from December 2015, after the close of Intel’s acquisition of Altera Corporation, to May 2019."
Note that his post as the GM of the "Network and Custom Logic Group" was really short lived, from May 2019 until whenever he left Intel, in any case significantly below a year. There's an Intel press release by him from June 2019 where he explains what the group is supposed to offer.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
Mark, I was thinking the same thing with the "gimmie", as you put it.

Intel got stagnate, which is where my comment about them not being all that successful in recent years is rooted. It seems like they are trying to get some other things going now that AMD has rocked the boat, though.

So thanks for that bit of history, Moinmoin, about the guy going back to 2004 (Altera), and I agree, too DrMrLordX, he's probably jumped ship.

So potentially a win for AMD and for himself.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010

Intel's server business has been tremendously successful. They were and continue to be a huge monopoly.

Of course that's more to do with AMD blowing it than Intel winning it.

We shouldn't hold Intel's 10nm failure on this guy.

Reactions: spursindonesia

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Another high profile hire for AMD, this time from IBM.

Seems like a really high profile recruitment. Just wonder what makes him suitable for the GPU part of the CPU-GPU integration he's supposed to work on? His work at IBM was solely on Power, wasn't it?

This article also mentions that Scott Aylor (GM for Enterprise Solutions) is leaving this year, and McNamara is taking his position.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Reports say Intel is in process of restructuring their datacenter business (probably with the prospect of not being competitive in that market for a couple years) and laying off thousands of employees (once again)
It seems to be mostly based on SemiAccurate, but heise.de reports that Intel unified all their datacenter business (Data Center Group, Network and Custom Logic Group, Optane etc.) in the Data Platforms Group and letting go of 25-33% of the staff.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
EDIT: WHOOPS: wrong thread. can mods move it to this thread or do I need to delete and repost manually?

I'm not sure about the thread to post this in, but seems quite relevant considering Intel Shortage and Apple modem business:

Broadcom has made a mandatory announcement to the stock exchange that it has concluded two agreements with Apple that will generate a total of around $ 15 billion in sales in the coming years up to and including 2023.
The contract includes deliveries of unspecified "specified RF components and modules" and "specified high-performance wireless components" . The contract is valid for three and a half years from January 2020.
Share on Facebook: 0Share on Twitter: 2

To me it seems, that one of the main causes for the shortage will be over once 5nm phones start rolling out.

Also a longer article on venturebeat.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It seems to be mostly based on SemiAccurate, but heise.de reports that Intel unified all their datacenter business (Data Center Group, Network and Custom Logic Group, Optane etc.) in the Data Platforms Group and letting go of 25-33% of the staff.
To keep the numbers updated here: According to Intel in the earnings call the actual number of jobs cut was 1,100 in the last three months of 2019 and expects to cut more in the coming months, but fewer than 1% of the overall workforce of 111,000 employees is supposedly affected.

But 1,100 is fewer than 1% of 111,000 by only 10 employees, this doesn't really match up... Edit: I have to guess the "fewer than 1%" is in addition to the cuts from last year.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
To keep the numbers updated here: According to Intel in the earnings call the actual number of jobs cut was 1,100 in the last three months of 2019 and expects to cut more in the coming months, but fewer than 1% of the overall workforce of 111,000 employees is supposedly affected.

But 1,100 is fewer than 1% of 111,000 by only 10 employees, this doesn't really match up... Edit: I have to guess the "fewer than 1%" is in addition to the cuts from last year.

Pro-tip: Intel is hiding the real numbers by offering "redeployments", i.e. the employee has some amount of time to find another position within Intel before they are cut. These redeployments happen to coincide with company wide req freezes.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Pro-tip: Intel is hiding the real numbers by offering "redeployments", i.e. the employee has some amount of time to find another position within Intel before they are cut. These redeployments happen to coincide with company wide req freezes.
I would add early retirement offers to that list as well.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
I would add early retirement offers to that list as well.

From what I heard, early retirement packages are no longer offered. I personally know of a very senior engineer in his early 60's who met all the long-standing requirements for the early retirement and was frog marched out the door back in 2016 with a redacted package. This is a guy who was a college professor and noted expert in his field. The old rules just vanished into thin air.

I highly doubt things have gotten any better in 2020.

Profanity is not allowed in any of
the tech sub-forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
From what I heard, early retirement packages are no longer offered. I personally know of a very senior engineer in his early 60's who met all the long-standing requirements for the early retirement and was frog marched out the door back in 2016 with a redacted package. This is a guy who was a college professor and noted expert in his field. The old rules just vanished into thin air.

Wow, that sucks. Used to be fairly common I guess a long time ago now. Such a shame.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

In the last huge rounds of layoffs in 2015 and 16 there was quite a discrimination against older employees apparently, and lawsuits are still ongoing.

1-630.394cc2f3.png

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
In the last huge rounds of layoffs in 2015 and 16 there was quite a discrimination against older employees apparently, and lawsuits are still ongoing.

1-630.394cc2f3.png

I guarantee you that age discrimination is ongoing. Apparently this time around Intel is attempting to play CYA by firing the occasional younger/non-white/female engineer per X laid off old-white-male engineer so they can pad the stats against future lawsuits. HR/C-suite is playing a numbers game as befitting the new management.

Knowing how Intel operates they will just fire the smart young guy who makes lower management look bad by actually being good at his job. The total collapse of the Intel talent pool continues unabated.

Last edited:
Reactions: scannall

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
If you want to read up on "retirees" getting shafted check out IBM. Somehow they have been able to skirt laws against discriminating against older employees. Actually anyone older than 40. It is actually disgusting.