• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

S8 battery issues

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
I have a 2+ yo Verizon S8, Android 9, which has rarely traveled far beyond home or work or car. I would not have said that I had a battery issue until a 4 day trip away from home. The battery gave me fits, and of course I needed it for electronic boarding passes, Ticketmaster (Thursday nite football, Pats win again!) and generally staying in touch with home. I had to keep turning it off so, for instance, I could be sure I could actually get into the game after an afternoon of tailgating. Even turned off, it would boot up with less battery than I shut it down with. No pictures of tailgating for me! Maybe the bootup process is power intensive or whatever, but I held my breath when I needed to pull it up to get into Gillette. And when it gets down in power, charging it makes it VERY hot. Scary hot if you believe battery fire stories. So a couple questions: Is this an "old phone, old battery" issue? Could this be due to some app I've added or updated? My habit is to stream all night, leaving the phone plugged in next to the bed and bluetoothed to a speaker. Could this prolonged charging cause battery issues long term? Android warns me of high battery usage by Tunein app, even when I'm plugged in, but I did no streaming while away from home.
If I do replace it, thinking about an S10e, but really was enjoying not paying the extra money per month on the bill... Thanks all

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I have an S8 with none of that "Scary Hot" issues. What type of charger are you using? Could be the charger or cable... Buy a new type C cable, then try a new charger, if that doesn't stop the "Scary Hotness"... I'd say it's the phones battery is probably toast.

You could try to discharge the phone all the way down, then charge it all the way back up a few times. Or you could try to wireless charge it, and if your doing that now, try a different wireless charger. Usually a wireless charger won't charge that fast to cause the battery to heat up. I would say, you probably damaged the battery by letting it get too hot. Tho, depending on how long it's been getting hot, would depend on the damage done.

Good Luck! The s10e, has the same battery capacity as the S8. What are you paying monthly for Verizon?

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Thanks for your reply Eric. So for overnight streaming/charging I use one of the devices that take a duplex outlet and turn it into multiple outlets and a couple of usb ports. 2.4 amps I want to say. The cord is a long one, but for what I've been doing with it, seems to be fine. In fact, since home, and back to regular routine, my phone has behaved as it always has. Yesterday back at work a streamed to my bluetooth earpiece for at least 6 hours and took calls, did texts, messaging, the usual, and when I got home in the afternoon I still have 42% in the battery. It charges easily and doesn't get hot. So I don't really get it. Up there I was using a Samsung charger that may or may not have come with this phone, but we've had S3s, S6s, before this 8 so maybe I didn't grab the right one to travel. And the same cord I use here at home. Maybe it was just cold, going from FL to MA where we enjoyed a subtropical gale and COLD by my standards anyway... FWIW I never had a great signal up there with Verizon, not at Gillette, not up on the north shore where we stayed. Does it work harder when the signal is weak? Dunno, don't get it!
My Verizon bill is about $200, but $30 odd of that is herself's phone, and is for 3 lines; 2 phone 1 tablet. I guess I'm going to let it ride for a while, I'm not traveling anywhere anytime soon. Sure was a PITA during the trip tho! Thanks for your input.

ASK THE COMMUNITY