S2KI forums: "So I drilled a hole in my cam cover for the NAWZ..."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
What's the big deal? It's not obvious, at least to me. But I've never even considered nitrous. The problem I see is that the cylinders will get unequal amounts of nitrous oxide and the engine will blow up, but that may not be obvious to everyone..

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
What's the big deal? It's not obvious, at least to me. But I've never even considered nitrous. The problem I see is that the cylinders will get unequal amounts of nitrous oxide and the engine will blow up, but that may not be obvious to everyone..

Well, the problem is that there's no way into the combustion chamber where he's spraying. The only thing under that cover is the stems of the valves, valve springs, and camshafts. I mean, you might as well spray into the oil pan. It'll do you about as much good.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

You'd only be spraying it on 'top' of the engine. On the valve springs and such. No in the engine, where it needs to be. If you read below, the guy actually froze the top of his engine, and it broke/snapped/cracked/popped.

the apparent 'truth'

MarkW

Sep 12, 2001
hahaha... Manties... oh man, cant stop laughing......

ohhhh, they have 7 day briefs. I guess that will give me a reason to change, and if i ever forget which day it is, all i got to do is look down..... nice......

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Saw it linked on another board a while back, definately a parody thread. (and it was a Sunfire motor in a Cutlass in the original story)

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Alright I know cars but I haven't much experience working on the newer stuff so someone tell me something. Why the heck are they calling the valve cover the cam cover? The cams are under the cylinder head aren't they? If you pull that cover off you're not going to see the camshaft you're going to see valve stems, valve springs and rockers right? This is the second time I've seen it called the cam cover. I think they just like the way it sounds!

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
In a DOHC engine, the cams are above the valves. On my engine (4.7L DC SOHC V8) the rockers are pinned between the cam, and a valve/lifter set.

Alright I know cars but I haven't much experience working on the newer stuff so someone tell me something. Why the heck are they calling the valve cover the cam cover? The cams are under the cylinder head aren't they? If you pull that cover off you're not going to see the camshaft you're going to see valve stems, valve springs and rockers right? This is the second time I've seen it called the cam cover. I think they just like the way it sounds!

I assume you are joking, right ?

Years ago i had a customer come to me wondering why his N.O. would not work, I lifted the hood and found that he plumbed the nozzle into the fuel line :)

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: AMCRambler

Is your post a parody?

The camshafts are located on top of the head, under the "red thing." No push rods in that puppy.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Camshafts are over the cylinders. (DOHC = Dual OverHead Cams).

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Roger

Years ago i had a customer come to me wondering why his N.O. would not work, I lifted the hood and found that he plumbed the nozzle into the fuel line :)
You service riceboys?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

You service riceboys?
Not all users of N.O. are riceboys.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

You service riceboys?
Not all users of N.O. are riceboys.
If you don't read the instructions, or read them poorly enough to make that mistake, YUO R TEH RICE

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: DaZ

You'd only be spraying it on 'top' of the engine. On the valve springs and such. No in the engine, where it needs to be. If you read below, the guy actually froze the top of his engine, and it broke/snapped/cracked/popped.

the apparent 'truth'

Ah ok. I figured the cam cover would be covering the heads too. Didn't realize they were separae compartments.