Question S/PDIF Audio Output-intermittent

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not sure if this belongs in Motherboards or Audio Devices...
I have my MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 connected to my Fiio K5Pro via a S/PDIF cable. When it works...it works GREAT, but intermittently, I'll grab the headphones to listen to something...and it's dead. I check the sound settings to make sure it's set for the S/PDIF, then I have to turn off the DAC/amp, unplug the cable from both the back of the amp and the PC, then reconnect everything. USUALLY it works after that. (kind of a PITA though)
I'm currently using USB until I get it resolved. I have the latest Realtek driver from MSI for the board.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
When I assembled my new build, I put in the new HDD and SSD, installed both of my NVMe drives, (one was my boot drive in the old PC) fired it up...everything fired right up...all the drives recognized, old boot drive was C:, as if the drives had never been in a different PC. No issues with Windows 10, no driver issues...nothing.
So your current PC has a Windows install from your old PC? I've done this before as well with no issues, but it's possible this may be causing you a problem.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A cable is cheap, a swap is easier than attempting to figure out the reason why.

I'm running it on USB now...seems to be working fine. From reading various forums, it seems like I'm not the only one having issues with S/PDIF and the Realtek ALC4080 codec. No one seems to have found a solution yet. I'll contact MSI support to see if they have any solutions.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Welp...the same thing happened on USB. No sound output to the DAC/amp. got down, unplugged it, plugged it back in...everything works.
Next time it happens, I'm going to see if the front panel audio jack works with headphones.

Submitted a ticket to MSI. I'll see what they have to say.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AnitaPeterson

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
problem still exists. When the sound stops working, it takes a reboot to get it working again. So far, MSI and FiiO are blaming each other.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Some good info here if you haven't already tried it.

Double checked all the things listed. I DO NOT have another optical cable to try, but I DID connect my TV to my soundbar with this one without issues.

If it was a constant failure, that would be one thing...but it's intermittent. One thing I have noticed...Windows now lists the connection as "Realtek Digital Output (Realtek USB Audio)" instead of "Realtek S/PDIF Output" like it once did.