S@H - Hobbit site & host down! :(

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just tried to check out the site for the 1st time in a few months & its down ,along with the 'parent' site :(

Anyone know what's happened? ,anyone heard from Binky?

For those 'newbies' ;) who haven't seen it or heard of it before [edit] check my 2nd post for a few cached pages.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I thought Orange Kid was running it. It looks like he hasn't posted here since February. :(

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
He had a hand in it but it was hosted by a friend of Binky/AVG ,who I haven't seen around here even longer I think :(

Just found this about the hobbit site & a post by Binky

lol , a google search for hobbit.worldkey turns up a load of threads here & a few from my site! ;)
Google mentions a cached page from the hobbitt site was taken on the 3rd Oct 05 ,so it was up until very recently.
Its odd that a search turns up nothing about the parent site:confused:

For those who haven't seen it go here ...........grrr forum won't accept long links ,look here to find the links for the cached pages of the site

(I noticed the email add there so I'm going to send him one)

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
The TeAm Certificate is posted on the TeAm Enterprise Home Page and can be downloaded.

It would be nice if Johan et als could find a suitable spot for display on their websites. :)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Has been a long time no post

The Hobbit site has always been hosted by a friend of Binky's. I helped with the initial design and did some up dating from time to time but have never hosted it.
Too bad it's down but I don't think it was used much. No one has been maintaining it that I am aware of.
Most activity is right here in the forums and much of the Team info moved on to teamanadtech.com. Lots of sites have come and gone. Maybe it was time to let this one pass. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yea I guess ,pitty it didn't last til the end though.
I really liked the design of that site :)

Btw its approximate design lives on in another website ;)

Good to see you btw :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: Smoke
The TeAm Certificate is posted on the TeAm Enterprise Home Page and can be downloaded.

It would be nice if Johan et als could find a suitable spot for display on their websites. :)

Cool :)
I'd fit into my site if I had space ...... not that my site would AFAIK gets much traffic though!

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The hobbit site is down for good. The hosting company owned by my friend was sold and I guess they found it and killed it. Like Orange Kid said already, we haven't done anything to the site in a long time. That site went up before the "real" Team Anandtech site went live and gained an audience.There were also several other SETI websites put up after mine that were much better than the hobbitt site.

The SETI portion of the Team Anandtech website started with a bunch of text from the hobbitt site that I originally wrote and others refined. It's funny that my text is still there on Team Anandtech with all the talk about Pentium III's and 64MB of memory! ;)

Oh well, it was free while it lasted. Good to see you all. I browse the DC forums occasionally but I have been out of DC for a while since my SETI fleet was lost due to a job move.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Smoke

Thanx Greg, I'll find a nice spot for it! :D

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey good to see you Binky ,you should pop in more often:)
Btw you could still run SETI or another DC project on your home PC :p;)

I really liked the hobbit site ,it was the colours I think;) ,sad to see its gone but it did have a good innings.

Guess I'd better change my sig...... hmm I wonder which site to link to now?......

[edit]chosen teamanandtech.com for now but its somewhat out of date ,no BOINC info.At least it works.I'll have to change it soon though.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for a TA site with its own SETI FAQ/info page
Teamanandtech.net didn't seem to have its own info on SETI so that ones out ,pitty looks nice that one.

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I think http://www.teamanandtech.net/ is just fine.

Click on the Science tab and you will find just about all the links you'd want. That is the category in which you will find SETI. :)

But you are correct when you point out that some of the links may need a little update. BOINC has moved some of their pages around.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

This seems to be latest address for BOINC. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Thanks Greg :) ,didn't realise those were links! :eek: ,I'll change my to sig to that.

Some of the links are dead (S@H1 FAQ ,some BOINC as you said) but enough are working to be able to get people going :)
Btw I was refering to teamanantech.com being out of date :p