Ryzen temp jumps

Armus

Aug 8, 2017
I've tried to find info on this unsuccessfully. Running a 1600X using Ryzen Master to monitor temp I see jumps of several degrees per cycle. I find it hard to believe the chip can go from 35 to 40 and then 45 nearly instantly and all while idle. It falls similarly just as fast. I'm running an AIO water cooler, so sure it's not great but it maxes out at 63C on a prolonged stress test. At least that's what RM shows.

I am OCed to 3975Mhz at 1.4V.

I'm debating on upgrading the cooler to a custom loop but the temp variance makes me wonder if this is due to the AIO or normal behavior. And ultimately, what effects would a custom loop have? Is it worth investing $300 when my system is already very quiet (a little fan noise when stressed but normal usage is silent)

Thanks for any help.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I've tried to find info on this unsuccessfully. Running a 1600X using Ryzen Master to monitor temp I see jumps of several degrees per cycle. I find it hard to believe the chip can go from 35 to 40 and then 45 nearly instantly and all while idle. It falls similarly just as fast. I'm running an AIO water cooler, so sure it's not great but it maxes out at 63C on a prolonged stress test. At least that's what RM shows.

I am OCed to 3975Mhz at 1.4V.

I'm debating on upgrading the cooler to a custom loop but the temp variance makes me wonder if this is due to the AIO or normal behavior. And ultimately, what effects would a custom loop have? Is it worth investing $300 when my system is already very quiet (a little fan noise when stressed but normal usage is silent)

Thanks for any help.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're really curious, monitor your background tasks with the task manager and see if there is something that runs intermittently. While you may not be running anything, and 'idling' your computer isn't. Lots of little background tasks are running all the time.