Ryzen, Skylake, and everything that's coming next. (MEGA discussion thread)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wildhorse2k

May 12, 2017
NUMA is naturally not the biggest issue when considering Threadripper as you pointed out as Intel also recommends enabling it for high core CPUs. Although the 18C may not suffer from this problem as badly as 28C so it may not be necessary to use this mode even if it was supported (we will see with new boards + CPUs). Bigger issue is the reliability problems of Ryzen (ESXi, GCC).

wildhorse2k

May 12, 2017
No you get an epyc 32 core for 2000 usd for that.
Its faster and if you really want high end and no compromises in speed and io.
You can get an 7980x for your vm and save a few dollars in total cost but its really the poor mans non professional solution for lots of VM.

Epyc is very specialized and low clock solution. I also don't need that many cores, 12 would actually probably be sufficient. I want something that can handle VR in the future as well. I don't want to buy 2 computers. 1 desktop + 1 laptop must be sufficient. We haven't seen performance of 7980XE therefore there is no clear decision yet. I don't need ECC or as many PCIe lanes TR/Epyc provides.