Ryzen... Ryzen makes me Happy. I think. ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
Does Larry still have the Pentium G3258 today he was raving about? I went to Micro Center, and bought the newest mfg. dates as best as possible.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Larry - for your temps, my experience has been people using too much Arctic Silver. I'd try taking the cooler off, cleaning, and using half as much as you tried. Then remeasure. Worth a shot as it is surprising how little is actually needed.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
How much of a performance gain I would get with new Ryzen APUs coming out? My understanding is AMD is required to lower the clock speeds to make sure there's enough GPU power within max TDP watt. I fear they won't be too much faster vs. Trinity APUs I've been finding good deals lately.
Most likely monumental
we don't know yet how the Ryzen APU's will handle CPU clocks when the GPU is loaded, but even if they downclock to 3ghz they would still be more powerful than even highly overclocked APU's of previous generations.
Ryzen cores 55-65% better than the best in previous APU's, plus new vega GPU cores have better delta compression and access to much faster RAM than previous generations.

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A friend of mine is looking forward for the Ryzen APUs, whatever they are called. Will they be out by August?

Anyways, ordered my third Ryzen CPU. These things are addicting. There are those out there with more of them. You know who you are. :)

Might just switch back to stock cooling and drop the water thing, and just run them at stock. Or maybe I'll do that for the next few of them, and keep one water-cooled and overclocked, for gaming purposes.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, call it "ThreadRipper on a budget". I mean, I should probably have just saved my money for TR, but OTOH, I don't need massive PCI-E lanes or quad/octo-channel memory. Or do I? Maybe when TR comes out with 24C/48T CPUs?

I don't know, Ryzen 5 just seems like it gives awesome value for price, right now, compared to the competition. So I'm gettin' while the gettins' good.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Yeah, call it "ThreadRipper on a budget". I mean, I should probably have just saved my money for TR, but OTOH, I don't need massive PCI-E lanes or quad/octo-channel memory. Or do I? Maybe when TR comes out with 24C/48T CPUs?

I don't know, Ryzen 5 just seems like it gives awesome value for price, right now, compared to the competition. So I'm gettin' while the gettins' good.
If you buy threadripper, I'll know you were kidnapped by aliens and are really a pod person. ;-)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, got my second Ryzen 5 1600 rig built and spun up.

Stock clocks/volts, on an ASRock AB350M Pro4 (hey, it's decent, but cheap). Team DDR4-2400 running in XMP Profile 1 mode, which sets it to 2400.

Temps on Wraith Spire air cooler (included with CPU), are hitting 75C, running an 11-thread BOINC / PrimeGrid load. (May be using AVX?)

Package Power is showing 83W. (That actually seems a bit high for stock clocks. Like, really high. My first Ryzen 5 1600 sample, at stock, was running around 65-66W, running a BOINC WCG load, which was lighter and non-AVX, pretty sure.)

So much for TDP of 65W. Maybe that's why they include a 95W cooler with it. ^_^

Reactions: .vodka and Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you using the same PSU model as the 1st rig?
No. The first rig was using a newer-model ThermalTake TR2-430 430W PSU (not 80Plus, I don't think?), and the second build is using an EVGA 600W (80Plus, but otherwise no color rating, this is before they came out with their "White" models). I may stick one of my R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 cards in here to crunch with, if temps don't get too bad doing that. There are two PCI-E 6-pin plugs, off of one set of wires.

Reactions: Jen and Drazick