Ryzen MB recommendation for dual boot Ubuntu/Win 10 build

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Please recommend MB for the Ryzen CPU (likely 1700) that would be used for dual boot Ubuntu/ Windows 10 system. Win 10 for gaming, Ubuntu for everything else.

What I would like to have
4 RAM slots with 64GB total support
1 M2 PCIE storage (for something like Samsung 960 EVO drive), boot drive for both OS + programs
2 SATA ports for SSD that would be used for local storage.
as good of the audio codec as I can get
intel NIC (my understanding Ubuntu has issued with Realtec NICs)
eventual ability to slightly overlock the system

what I don't care about
- I will not run more than GPU, so SLI/Crossfire is of no interest to me
- I don't need more than 1 M2 slot
- I don't need more than 4 SATA total (I have storage on NAS and would not need to connect more than 2 or at most 3 storage devices total to this).
- I don't need or care for lighting, labels, anybody's names or handles (Fatality). I don't care how my build look as it is going to be under the desk

I looked at reddit for AMD MB list and just not seeing it yet. either things are very high end with a lot of things I don't care about on very expensive boards, or it is lower cost chipset with bargain bin Realtec NICs and audio chips.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
With the currently available lineup, you cannot get Intel NIC and good audio without going an X370 board sorry. For your requirements I'd recommend the ASUS Prime X370-Pro, which is the motherboard I have.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I know the ASROCK Taichi board works in linux... Intel Gigabit NIC, and using ECC RAM.

Yeah, I know it is a bit overkill for you, but, there aren't a good selection of X300 boards out yet.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
If you want to go the PCIe NIC route, the Gigabyte B350 Gaming 3 has Realtek ALC1220 audio, the only B350-based board with good audio (so far released)

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Thank you all - I will keep watching MB availability. Basically I want decent workstation running Ubuntu, with occasional gaming in Windows 10. I don't want to buy, patch, maintain components I care none for (wifi, LEDs, SLI/Crossfire , etc). I may eventually overclock 1700 to 3.8-4 but that is not a primary concern right now.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Thank you for public service announcement - interesting and definitely something to follow until resolved.