Question ryzen 7 2600 and support for windows 7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rocketman122

Jul 22, 2013
I dont see myself moving to w10 anytime soon. if I can, I wont ever move over. if I could, I would have stayed with xp, but no support for memory and ssd cleaning, I had no choice to move to w7

but looking to upgrade my 8320fx to ryzen 7 and doing my first research I come acroos the fact that you cant run w7 with ryzen7?

why? is there no workaround that allows it to function correctly?

Lovec1990

Feb 6, 2017
I currently have a gtx660. im looking to upgrade to a ati 580. id like to support amd as much as I can. if amd goes, prices will be way too high with nvidia and intel

out of curiosity, what will it affect to use an rtx card?

partially yes RTX needs DX 12 or Vulkan too be fully used and W7 does not support DX 12 only Vulcan can work on WIN7

Lovec1990

Feb 6, 2017
Win10 is very good, imo.

I have never understood any of the dislike for it.

If you are worried about being spied upon, then throw your cell phone away, it spies on you far more than Win10 ever will.

true but every time you enter a webside it can collect data on what do you like and use it. Besides if WIN10 was spying on you or invade your privacy countries would ban or sanction Microsoft i know win10 collect data but i never experienced any unsettling stuff like ads in Windows explorer or any other thing

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In my experience, the attempts by Windows or Android to decipher what I like and don't like are nearly always wrong, often hilariously so.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
As Larry mentioned you can get Windows 7 to install on Ryzen. I did it the other day actually, without injecting anything but I wasn't using a nvme. I just used a SATA cdrom drive for the installation and made use of the PS/2 keyboard to muddle through the install. Then it was a surprisingly painful process to get the AMD USB 3.0 drivers to install from the driver disk using only the keyboard. After that the hard part of the install was over and things became normal.

Its not really accurate to say Ryzen doesn't support Windows 7. Its more like Microsoft doesn't support Ryzen on Windows 7, since there are drivers. I believe there are workarounds for the updates but I was just running some quick tests so I never got that far. Weird thing I found was there are no Windows 8.1 drivers for much of the hardware while there are Windows 7 drivers for everything!

Reactions: Rocketman122

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
I dont see myself moving to w10 anytime soon. if I can, I wont ever move over. if I could, I would have stayed with xp, but no support for memory and ssd cleaning, I had no choice to move to w7

but looking to upgrade my 8320fx to ryzen 7 and doing my first research I come acroos the fact that you cant run w7 with ryzen7?

why? is there no workaround that allows it to function correctly?

I have at work a Ryzen7 1800X on a B350 motherboard running Windows7 without problems.
You might have to create your own installation kit (to add USB3 and NVME support), but that's just a 30-60 minute job, and you'll be able to use it countless times for re-installs.

Reactions: Rocketman122

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well then it looks like that the OP should just buy a Gigabyte board and be done with it.

Yes, I do like gigabyte MB. ive bought asus msi and asrock in the past, but have always just had good experiences with GB.
I will say 1 thing. after installing w7. I have yet to install 1 single windows security update and I have no spyware virus apps as well. theyve only just slowed down my pc.

@whm1974 im a professional photographer looking to start doing full time video edits as well. I no longer use adobe software. I use acdsee pro and affinity, but for video, I havent decided what Ill work with. im not going to pay for subscription fees anymore. gimp though while a good free option doesnt offer much for me specifically.

why though would I eventually need to go with w10 or linux? will it be because ms forces mfr to stop support for certain hardware?
There other FOSS applications like GIMP, But Kdenlive is considered one of the best FOSS video editing software out there.

As far as hardware support, MS doesn't need to force Manufacturers to do anything. They will quit supporting Windows 7 along with software developers as less people use it and due to new computers coming with Windows 10. Don't forget MS doesn't sell Windows 7 anymore either.