Question Ryzen 5950x with icegiant prosiphon elite build 👌

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechyGeek

Feb 23, 2015
Hi guys

Building a 5950x system here :)

• Primary role is gaming development and vms.
  • Thinking of buying 2 crucial BL2K32G36C16U4BL kits for 128gb ram total.
  • Already bought icegiant pro siphon cooler - look that one up :)
  • Already have asus gaming tuf x570 mobo.
  • Already have evga supernova 850 g3 psu
  • Already have fractal r7 case.
  • GPU is going to be 6800xt?
Questions :

Is Mobo/PSU combo OK for 4.4ghz all core pbo and 5 ghz single?

Can I do tweaks and slight ram oc on this mobo/PSU? Like run it at 3733mhz 15 cas latency and 1.4 v?

Can I throw in a gpu overclock too?

Thanks all!

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Airflow over the back of the MB would benefit mainly the power delivery components.

I do not believe this cooler has a traditional heatpipe design inside. That is why it cannot work upside down.

The gal said they will come with a new version with copper plate which will work better with small AM4 CPUs.

I hope they read it here and they will supply some mounting solution on the case too to prevent severing motherboards .

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
@aigomorla CPU Heatsinks have a liquid in the pipes??

uhhh very little....like you wont be able to collect it little.
Theoretically a heat pipe works like a capillary.
The "liquid" will sit at the bottom until heated up. Usually the liquid is a low boiling point kept under low pressure to lower boiling point.
As the heat boils the liquid, it forces the gas to go where the cooling fins are situated at.
The fins then cool the gas and forces the liquid back down to the heat source to repeat the cycle.

You will never find liquid in a heat pipe if you cut it up.
Chance are it will mostly either boil away once STD pressure hits it.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
This cooler is intended mainly for Threadripper. They are preparing a new version, which will work better with smaller CPUs.

OP should return his cooler and get the proper one, once available.

There is only a few ml of water in a heatpipe soaked into the "wick" - sintered copper or whatever. There is a nice video on Youtube about cooler production including heatpipes, but I cannot search youtube now.

Reactions: Drazick