Question Ryzen 3xxx memory controller

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
So, I purchased an x570 MB with a better VRM to see if I could push my Ryzen 3xxx series CPU a little further, but it would not post. Post error on RAM. So, I began poking around, maybe a bad RAM stick. Well each stick would post in the B2 Slot, but the Board would error on post when I tried to use both the B2 and A2 slot. well, huh. Maybe a bad slot. So, I moved my other 3xxx CPU to the MB, and both memory sticks. Alternately, I took the original CPU, and moved it to the other known good MB, and there, the problem moved with the Chip . Moved back again, and the trouble followed the CPU(RAM controller I believe) Is it possible for 1of2 of the CPU memory controllers to go bad? Has anyone had experience RMA'ing with AMD directly?

Thanks in advance.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, it is possible. Although the most common cause for problems like this is usually bent pins, you might want to check for those before you do anything. It's kind of hard to notice a slightly bent pin if you just look at the pins straight on, to be sure you want to look at each row of pins on it's "edge" to see they all line up correctly.

Spook

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Thank you for the help, and inspiration to trudge on. I had previously looked at the pins of the chip, twice. But this time I cleaned it all up, and pulled out the camera to give a better view. I still didn't find any bent pins, even under the microscope. But something happened, possibly the clean scrub... but now it will boot with both sticks again.