Discussion Ryzen 3000 CPUs overclocking: exercise caution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
People grasp at any straw to knock Ryzen cpu's. Unfortunately for them it isn't working very well lol!
Unfortunately, while it doesn't work on this forum, it can certainly influence things for the general public. When something like this gets released, a less knowledgeable person might look at the post Buildzoid made and think, hmm, Zen2 seems fragile or unreliable.

We all know the circumstances, that it's just a single isolated instance of making a chip do something it wasn't designed to, but this type of post has the bad effect of changing the subconscious of the general public, even if only slightly, and completely unfairly.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Unfortunately, while it doesn't work on this forum, it can certainly influence things for the general public. When something like this gets released, a less knowledgeable person might look at the post Buildzoid made and think, hmm, Zen2 seems fragile or unreliable.

We all know the circumstances, that it's just a single isolated instance of making a chip do something it wasn't designed to, but this type of post has the bad effect of changing the subconscious of the general public, even if only slightly, and completely unfairly.

Agreed. Perception is everything.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

It does not help things when people with an agenda, link to these bad posts, they just exacerbate the results and effect, and it can even snowball.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It does not help things when people with an agenda, link to these bad posts, they just exacerbate the results and effect, and it can even snowball.

I wonder in retrospect if being proactive on Zen2 OC/voltage aspects would have been a good idea.

OC on Zen2 is essentially useless and counterproductive in virtually all situations, and at best gives you single digits in rare scenarios.

The things are basically perfectly balanced and optimal at stock, so maybe this would have been better off as locked out of voltage/multiplier boosts entirely.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
why is it so hard to believe a small chip with hotspots is more sensitive to overclocking? i dont doubt this in the least, but as others have said why bother.. i have asked many times why someone spends 100$ on a cpu cooler for a 150$ chip when they could just buy the next tier cpu instead and get better performance. i run my chips underclocked / undervolted usually. in the summer its going to be even more locked down until i get solar on the house i mostly stay in.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I wonder in retrospect if being proactive on Zen2 OC/voltage aspects would have been a good idea.

OC on Zen2 is essentially useless and counterproductive in virtually all situations, and at best gives you single digits in rare scenarios.

The things are basically perfectly balanced and optimal at stock, so maybe this would have been better off as locked out of voltage/multiplier boosts entirely.
Well, I guess my chips are the exception, my 3900x's are UNDERvolted and OVERclocked (just a little)/ 1.1 vcore@4.1 ghz

Reactions: killster1

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I certainly think it would have helped more if AMD didn't talk up OC features right before the launch. That also exacerbated the issues people had with Ryzen chips not reaching the advertised boost clocks.

Reactions: yeshua and Arkaign