Question Ryzen 3000 CPUs + negative core voltage offset vs. AGESA 1.1.0.0 [avoid! doesn't work/unstable]

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
AMD has announced recently that:
Beyond AGESA 1.1.0.0 for Ryzen 5000 Series:

Returning support for negative core voltage offsets (“undervolting”) with all-new AMD functionality for better frequency, voltage, and performance tweaking

Are there any people here who have a Ryzen 3000 CPU (4000 APU) and have already upgraded their BIOS to this AGESA? Is the core voltage offset option still there? Does the CPU respect if you have a negative offset set?

I'm afraid to upgrade because I won't be able to easily downgrade to the BIOS version I'm currently running (it's almost a year old but works best for me).

Thank you!

Last edited:

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
No, it didn’t like the negative offset, at least on the ASUS board I have. It didn’t like any offset for that matter. This was on their last two bios versions.

Reactions: yeshua

PJVol

May 25, 2020
What the "returning support" means in original quote ? (as if it wasn't there before 1.1.0.0). As for the negative offset, can confirm, unless you upped certain voltaged, system become quite unstable with 1.0.8.0 +.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
What the "returning support" means in original quote ? (as if it wasn't there before 1.1.0.0). As for the negative offset, can confirm, unless you upped certain voltaged, system become quite unstable with 1.0.8.0 +.
Because the current state of bios’ are a crapshoot. I have no idea why less time is spent on these things than I believe they should.

I’ll run these steps to confirm.

Bios reset first each time:

Default with negative offset enabled
ASUS O/C detection
ASUS O/C with negative offset

I won’t modify any other settings.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
In general, unless you have a Vermeer, you shouldn't upgrade your UEFI past AGESA 1.0.0.4 or so. I'm still running 1.0.0.3ABBA since it was ideal for my 3900x.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
In general, unless you have a Vermeer, you shouldn't upgrade your UEFI past AGESA 1.0.0.4 or so. I'm still running 1.0.0.3ABBA since it was ideal for my 3900x.

The newer bioses provide a faster boot up process for me aswell was security fixes.

SMM Callout Privilege Escalation was fixed in a bios update after 1.0.0.4

The newest 1.1.0.0 has the Fmax PBO option that works great on my rig currently there are reasons to be on the latest bios updates.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Makaveli

Pretty sure SMM Callout Privilege Escalation only applies to the APUs. If you aren't using one of those then there's no real benefit there. And I would definitely not upgrade to 1.1.0.0 for a PBO option if I also lost the ability to use negative voltage offsets.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
@Makaveli

Pretty sure SMM Callout Privilege Escalation only applies to the APUs. If you aren't using one of those then there's no real benefit there. And I would definitely not upgrade to 1.1.0.0 for a PBO option if I also lost the ability to use negative voltage offsets.

I never use negative voltage offset so its not a loss for me.

And since i've owned this board this bios is the best performing so far, plus this board will see a Zen 3 chip before the year is over so not much of a choice.

But for those that use it I could see why you would stick to those older bios versions.