Ryzen 1800x at 5.2Ghz. Sets a new record on Cinebench

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
xfr all core boost is likely capped at 100mhz

I suspect a range of about 3.9-4.2 GHz for 1700, 1700x, and 1800x. Assuming a good board and cooling solution.
That would seem to make the 1700 the only buy that makes sense, though. Less money and power for most of the performance.

It wouldn't make much business sense for XFR to boost the lower chips to near or above the higher chips. I would guess XFR is a small boost all around, keeping all of the chips in their price place.
If they all auto-boost to nearly the same performance, we are all going to buy the cheapest one.
Are you going to spend $400 if $300 gets you close? I guess some will.

Riek

Dec 16, 2008
Meanwhile the overhyped R7 1700x loses to the i7 6800k on gaming benchmarks
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-1700-official-gaming-benchmarks-leak/

another hype train derailed..

Did you even read your own link?

The 7700K (intels fastest 'gaming' chip according to some) wins 2 benchmarks. (of 6)
The 6800K wins 2 (or 3 benchmarks). (of 6)

True, the other results are virtually tied (gpu bottleneck maybe).

Like pointed out in other threads against you, these results are extremely good. All of these point that with all these chips, gaming won't be a problem or a bottleneck.. (like FX was).

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Did you even read your own link?

The 7700K (intels fastest 'gaming' chip according to some) wins 2 benchmarks. (of 6)
The 6800K wins 2 (or 3 benchmarks). (of 6)

True, the other results are virtually tied (gpu bottleneck maybe).

Like pointed out in other threads against you, these results are extremely good. All of these point that with all these chips, gaming won't be a problem or a bottleneck.. (like FX was).

Not to mention this slide...

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-vs-Core-i7-6800K_Power-Consumption-840x446.png

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Meanwhile the overhyped R7 1700x loses to the i7 6800k on gaming benchmarks
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-1700-official-gaming-benchmarks-leak/

another hype train derailed..

Trolling is not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator
Chip is not out officially... So no drivers to the AMD processor are available to use all the L2 and L3 cache at their finest along the drivers for the MoBo to optimize the use of the resources. So the derail is not happening for now.
-----
BTW... Seems that Samsung is helping AMD this time. Higher clocks than GloFo ones. With GloFo I would not expect more than 3.0 Ghz...

Also, seems that the heating comes since it was using a lot of L3 cache. It could explain why not overclocks more.

Finally, I call it: on air can go to 4.2 and on water at 4.5, golden chips at 4.7. But the power consumption will increase a lot.

Also, expecting more clock rate on lower tier options like the SR5 and the SR3 it can go beyond 5.2 Ghz.

Last edited:

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Literally what!?
Ok... First at all the MoBo needs some updates (drivers in this case) in order to fully use all the resources of the processor.

But at the same time (and my bad to not to use the correct terms), it needs an update for Windows and a patch from the games to fully uses the resources of the processor.

That's why the results are not good. Since the game is not fully optimized for new AMD processors for now.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Chip is not out officially... So no drivers to the AMD processor are available to use all the L2 and L3 cache at their finest along the drivers for the MoBo to optimize the use of the resources. So the derail is not happening for now..

There are no drivers for the CPU.
All of the features you mentioned are controlled by either the µcode or the SMU firmwares. Completely OS independent stuff.
But you're also correct: Neither the µcode or the co-processor firmwares have reached their zenith and things will continue to improve in many regard, at least a month or two after the launch.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
That would seem to make the 1700 the only buy that makes sense, though. Less money and power for most of the performance.

It wouldn't make much business sense for XFR to boost the lower chips to near or above the higher chips. I would guess XFR is a small boost all around, keeping all of the chips in their price place.
If they all auto-boost to nearly the same performance, we are all going to buy the cheapest one.
Are you going to spend $400 if $300 gets you close? I guess some will.
Not xfr. I was saying they would manually oc in that range.

xfr is capped at 100mhz

The 1800x only makes sense if you want the best oc potential and/or the best base clocks without overclocking.

riggnix

Jul 27, 2016
All of the features you mentioned are controlled by either the µcode or the SMU firmwares. Completely OS independent stuff.
But you're also correct: Neither the µcode or the co-processor firmwares have reached their zenith and things will continue to improve in many regard, at least a month or two after the launch.

There are no drivers per se, you are right. But IIRC e.g. for Bulldozer der were some Windows Updates that greatly enhanced performance. I think they patched the scheduler to make better use of the modules ore something like that. So OS updates might still be coming. Although they might not be that dramatic, since it's "just" another SMT chip...

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
That's what I said later sir. The game needs patches to use all the resources of the processor (AMD in this case), but also the MoBo needs an firmware update to optimize that use of resources.

And that's why I corrected myself later realizing the bad use of the terms to explain.