Ryan Clark Lays Out Wes Welker

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Video

There was a penalty on the play, but Clark didn't actually break any rules. NFL officials deemed it a legal hit after the fact.

"Launching" isn't illegal, he led with his shoulder, and CBS announcers prove their idiocy.

Edit - New link

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Probably the biggest hit this year...can't really think of many off the top of my head but the Hines Ward hit on the Bengals rookie was also beastly.

edit: misspelled hines...lol

Auggie

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2003
Legal or not, it's dangerous. I could give a flying fuck about technical details - it was a savage hit, and I'm glad Welker was able to get to his feet after that. Only Clark knows if it was malicious, and there's inherent danger to playing in the NFL, but still, I just never enjoy watching that.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Auggie
Legal or not, it's dangerous. I could give a flying fuck about technical details - it was a savage hit, and I'm glad Welker was able to get to his feet after that. Only Clark knows if it was malicious, and there's inherent danger to playing in the NFL, but still, I just never enjoy watching that.

Shouldn't be running a slant across the middle without paying attention. If receivers didn't get popped doing that, then that's the only play you'd ever see.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
it was a wonderful hit. too bad wes welker didn't get paralyzed like darryl stingley was by jack tatum. now taht was a vicious hit.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Holy lord, that was beastly. Perfectly legal and a perfect example of why they're fully armor clad these days. That's football

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: dbk
Probably the biggest hit this year...can't really think of many off the top of my head but the Heinze Ward hit on the Bengals rookie was also beastly.

Hines Ward Hit

Yeah... Ward has laid some hits as a WR over the years. There's gotta be a huge "bounty" on his head from the opposing defenses but I can't remember Ward taking major hits. I guess he's just crafty. *shrug*

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Probably the biggest hit this year...can't really think of many off the top of my head but the Hines Ward hit on the Bengals rookie was also beastly.

edit: misspelled hines...lol

that's only because some assclown shot and killed shawn taylor last year :(

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: rasczak
it was a wonderful hit. too bad wes welker didn't get paralyzed like darryl stingley was by jack tatum. now taht was a vicious hit.

wtf....

I think ^ about explains my thoughts. I know DB's look for that insanely hard hit but like you said its part of football.

Nice videos of Ward, I never realized he ran over so many people.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Ballatician

wtf....
Call it a morbid curiousity, but i wonder what would happen if someone die from a hit on the field. i wonder things like how long will the nfl take to get games going again. will there be any remorse ont he part of the player who caused the death. iirc, jack tatum to this day denies causing darryl stingley's paralysis. i just wonder. i do believe taht the NFL would kinda push it to the side and try to get things going back to normal after such an incident because they've got too much money at stake to stop the games.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Ballatician

wtf....
Call it a morbid curiousity, but i wonder what would happen if someone die from a hit on the field. i wonder things like how long will the nfl take to get games going again. will there be any remorse ont he part of the player who caused the death. iirc, jack tatum to this day denies causing darryl stingley's paralysis. i just wonder. i do believe taht the NFL would kinda push it to the side and try to get things going back to normal after such an incident because they've got too much money at stake to stop the games.

I seriously doubt they would stop the games at all. I don't think they'd push it aside, but after years and years w/out a death, one would not be enough to really change much IMO...

And how the hell is it "too bad" he wasn't paralized? Thats sick...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

Yeah I can't think of a reason a normal tackle wouldn't have sufficed in that situation. But, by the books is by the books. Kudos for Welker (who is a tough little bastard!) for getting right back up, even if it was with a helping hand.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

WTF? Paralysis is somehow funny now? I enjoy seeing a good football hit like any other fan, but I don't want to see anyone hurt.

This hit was nasty, but I think it was a cheap shot. The ball was already gone and the WR was defenseless. The refs made the right call, I'm sure the league will come calling with some additional monetary incentive not to do it again ;)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Video

There was a penalty on the play, but Clark didn't actually break any rules. NFL officials deemed it a legal hit after the fact.

"Launching" isn't illegal, he led with his shoulder, and CBS announcers prove their idiocy.

They do that every Sunday.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
The biggest problem I have with that hit is that Welker had zero chance to catch the ball.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
Originally posted by: soxfan
The biggest problem I have with that hit is that Welker had zero chance to catch the ball.

If you missed it, the ball was tipped. Welker was in line to catch the ball.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I love seeing hits like this. It makes me want to see footage from when they didn't wear helmets. Oh wait, they didn't hit like this. :p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Probably the biggest hit this year...can't really think of many off the top of my head but the Heinze Ward hit on the Bengals rookie was also beastly.

Hines Ward Hit

I dont watch the NFL much but I see video's of this guy pwning defensive guys all day long. Is that his thing?

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yahoo story
The image played out on a highlight film as Baltimore Ravens linebacker Bart Scott watched in rage, grinding his teeth into a fine powder. He knew what was coming. He saw Pittsburgh Steelers wideout Hines Ward peel back on the television screen. He saw Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers running in a full sprint, head turned away from an artillery shell headed in his direction. As Ward?s helmet connected with Rivers? jaw ? breaking it into three pieces ? a sports anchor squealed gleefully.

Scott muttered an expletive. He looked at the hit, and saw only a coward.

?The media was like ?Oh, Hines is tough,? ? Scott said of the Oct. 19 hit. ?No he?s not. He?s a cheap-shot artist.?

- snip -

1. Bart Scott vs. Hines Ward

Photo Ravens LBs Scott (57) and Suggs (55) watch Steelers WR Ward (86) and RB Willie Parker (39) laugh during the first quarter at Heinz Field in November 2007. The Steelers won 38-7.
(Luc Leclerc-US Presswire)

There is a special dark spot in Scott?s heart, and it?s filled with every nasty thing he wants to unleash on Ward. He never liked the Steelers receiver, but his furor intensified Nov. 2007, when Ward blew up Scott and safety Ed Reed on a pair of running plays. Both plays were legal by the letter of the NFL law, but both lit a fuse under Scott, who threatened to kill Ward late in that Ravens loss.

Since then ? and despite various warnings from the NFL ? Scott has continued a slow burn. He?s watched Ward light up several other players, including the jaw-shattering shot on Cincinnati?s Rivers, and dreamt of a day he could return the favor without a fine from the NFL.

?There?s nothing mano y mano about that,? Scott said of Ward?s penchant for peeling back and leveling defenders who aren?t looking. ?You put him in a phone booth with half those guys that he?s taking those shots at, he?d get his a** whupped.

?If we?re going to play that way, let?s play that way. Let?s not play that way just when it benefits you, let?s play that way all the time. That means when Keith Rivers is defenseless and you take a shot and break his jaw, that means when you come across the middle and you?re defenseless, I get to take that shot. ? That?s not man on man. That?s a cheap-shot artist. If you?re going to take a shot, that?s cool. But allow me to take mine without a $35,000 fine.?

Scott?s anger has added intensity to an already white-hot disdain between the two teams. A disgust that included linebacker Terrell Suggs at one point suggesting the team had a bounty on Ward and running back Rashard Mendenhall. The Ravens knocked out Mendenhall with a season-ending shoulder injury when the teams met in September. Suggs later recanted the notion of a bounty, but only after an NFL official met with him about it in Baltimore.

Asked about Suggs? talk of a bounty, Scott replied, ?Whatever Suggs said about Mendenhall or Hines or whoever, everything was done cleanly on our side. Mendenhall got put out the game legally. What he said about a bounty, I don?t understand why people deem that as something dirty.?

When you talk to Ward about it all, he gives only a Cheshire grin. It seems there is a certain sense of satisfaction to be gotten when other players are out there thinking about you.

?I?d be mad too if a 200-pound wideout knocked me out,? Ward said. ?I?d get upset at that, too. He has every right to be upset. But a cheap shot? If that?s what he wants to call it, then I?m a cheap shot.

?Maybe they feel like their defense wants to bully everybody, and we?re not bullied by them. We know they?re going to hit us in the mouth and we?re going to hit back. And they don?t particularly like that.?
-snip-

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
you so tough, you put on a jersey