Ryan Booed At AARP Convention

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 27, 2012
They also voted for the gov't to spend that money on themselves during that same working life. I'm tired of seniors whining about "they paid" for it when it's already been spent - ON THEM. It's a double dip because we've had politicians who were too afraid to face the problem of old age entitlements. It's broken and needs to be fixed so the next generations don't abuse the purse too.

Yes, they voted to spend the money for themselves but to saddle the next generation with the debt, entitlement culture

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
They also voted for the gov't to spend that money on themselves during that same working life. I'm tired of seniors whining about "they paid" for it when it's already been spent - ON THEM. It's a double dip because we've had politicians who were too afraid to face the problem of old age entitlements. It's broken and needs to be fixed so the next generations don't abuse the purse too.

Had the SS funds not been raped by politicians on both sides of the isle many years ago there wouldn't be the issue there is today.

Apr 27, 2012
Had the SS funds not been raped by politicians on both sides of the isle many years ago there wouldn't be the issue there is today.

Except that SS shouldn't have been there, these seniors should have been allowed to KEEP more of there own money, there's nothing wrong with that

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Has insurance prices, the price of utilities, gone down with competition?

Those are government regulated industries. Get the government out of those industries other than as watchdog, and yes, the price would come down.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Gotta admit Ryan had some guts in trying to sell his message to the AARP that was certain to flop flatter than a pancake. As Ryan was maybe lucky to escape the encounter with nothing more than a few boos instead of being pelted with rotten tomatos and maybe a few rocks and bricks.

But still as a large arragate of some 38 million voting AARP members, the real question is not what you and I think about the Romney Ryan ticket vs the Omama Biden ticket, and instead will hinge on how the AVERAGE AARP MEMBER Votes in 2012. As my gut predicts AARP members will probably vote Obama Biden by a 2 to one margin or better over Romney Ryan. A net Romney Ryan defecit of up to 13 million votes

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
shit like this actually makes me consider voting for the RR ticket.

fuck the AARP, they're the biggest lobbyist in the country. I don't think their interests extend far beyond getting money for themselves.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
shit like this actually makes me consider voting for the RR ticket.

fuck the AARP, they're the biggest lobbyist in the country. I don't think their interests extend far beyond getting money for themselves.

Nah. Not even close. The US Chamber of Commerce dwarfs the spending of all others-

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?showYear=a&indexType=s

And there are organizations widely regarded as having more clout, like the NRA, AIPAC & ALEC.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
Just so you all know I am retired. My generation is the first that will never get back what we and our employers paid into the system. Our SS is not an entitlement it is a poor investment forced on us and our employers. And you can bet your fanny I am going to try to get some of it back. I retired at 62 at very reduced benefits. The knothead that is tired of seniors whining has no clue. I am wondering what money they have already spent on me. I have never collected a dime from the government except a pitiful amount from SS which I indeed paid for.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Good point D-Man as you perhaps forget to say, you have been paying into Social Security
in dollars worth a dollar 30 years ago, and why should you receive that social security money back in dollars worth only 30% of what it was before?

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Nothing like trying to change the past after the fact.

Fuck the past. Just learn from it, then go out there and change the future.

Medicare is not, repeat, NOT a viable service as it is structured and organized now. It is going to be changed. Let's get it done now before it fails. Or would that not be in the Democrat play book.

Vouchers and free market competition are the way to go.

p.s., If I had my way I would, over a period of 30 years, get rid of both Medicare and Social Security.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Fuck the past. Just learn from it, then go out there and change the future.

Medicare is not, repeat, NOT a viable service as it is structured and organized now. It is going to be changed. Let's get it done now before it fails. Or would that not be in the Democrat play book.

Vouchers and free market competition are the way to go.

p.s., If I had my way I would, over a period of 30 years, get rid of both Medicare and Social Security.

I understand things must change for future generations however, you have many people/couples who contributed to SS all their working years with the promise they would receive a pension/medicare in their retirement years. Maybe we should do away with military retirement as well.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I understand things must change for future generations however, you have many people/couples who contributed to SS all their working years with the promise they would receive a pension/medicare in their retirement years. Maybe we should do away with military retirement as well.

And so they should get what was promised them. Did you read my 30 year time frame?

As far as the military retirement is concerned, it's not comparable. There are no civilian jobs that even come close to being in the military and the programed limited advancement.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Just so you all know I am retired. My generation is the first that will never get back what we and our employers paid into the system. Our SS is not an entitlement it is a poor investment forced on us and our employers. And you can bet your fanny I am going to try to get some of it back. I retired at 62 at very reduced benefits. The knothead that is tired of seniors whining has no clue. I am wondering what money they have already spent on me. I have never collected a dime from the government except a pitiful amount from SS which I indeed paid for.

When you consider that it's also long term disability & survivor benefit life insurance, it's not as a bad a deal as you think. Indexed to wages, it's yours for as long as you live or as long as the govt exists, pretty much. That's not necessarily true of investment income, at all.

It's a constant fight for seniors to preserve their principal beyond what income they need to support their lifestyles, other than the very affluent. Seniors' worst fears are running out of money before running out of time on this earth. SS addresses that concern.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Respect is earned, not given. Ryan and anyone who supports his voucher proposal are saying that they don't respect the people who will be affected by that proposal.

Except that his changes to medicare won't effect anyone who is in medicare TODAY.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Except that his changes to medicare won't effect anyone who is in medicare TODAY.

As of the Ryan/Romney proposal right now-which frankly is totally unworkable and doesn't go into effect for a decade or more. What seniors and near seniors (like myself) that paid in SS for decades should worry about-A LOT- with the RR proposal is that if it becomes law it will be very easy to amend it in the future to strip PRESENT and near future retirees of their benefits-all to further line the pockets of the very richest.

I'm surprised so many younger people are apparently buying into this line of pure BS that Ryan is pushing.