Rx480 Red Devil White/Black/Green/Red Screen

Sykosis

Feb 16, 2017
First time poster, long time lurker.

I recently built a new computer consisting of the parts below. All drivers up to date, Mobo bios, Win10, Gpu etc. the problem im having is when I open a game, the minute I get past any loading screen the game my have it crashes. sometimes it crashes right at the start. Does it for both windowed and full screen. I've done the Wattman undervolting, rolled back to previous drivers. But I'm not getting anywhere. If I'm just surfing the web, everything is fine. There's no OC on the GPU or CPU (just got it yesterday). Anyone have a issue similar to this that can help me. I'm currently at work so I can provide any images. And all temps were fine. GPU never went higher then 54c and CPU stayed low 40s.

CPU: 6600k i5 w/ H100i Cooler
Mobo: Asus H110
GPU: RX480 Red Devil
Power Supply: Thermal Take 600w (can't remember the specifics)
Ram: 16gigs 2400 Corsair Dominator

Last edited:

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Is it doing this in all 3D apps/games or in one particular game?

Sykosis

Feb 16, 2017
So far its been in some AAA games. The low quality games in steam like the IDLE games, it runs fine. Cant run LoL, Dota2, Skyrim, Rust, BF1.

Sykosis

Feb 16, 2017
so i set the fans to max @ 3800rpms under wattman but fans still not spinning

Last edited:

Sykosis

Feb 16, 2017
ok so far so good. Wattman didnt change my fan speed for some reason so i downloaded msi afterburner and set it to 50%. no crashes yet. do you think im good to go or should i be safe and return it?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Probably the default fan settings are not providing adequate cooling to the memory VRMs. The solution would be to look for a GPU BIOS update that ups the fan speed, or just use Afterburner to set a manual fan curve.

Just don't do any overclocking, and it should be okay.

Sykosis

Feb 16, 2017
hmm crashed even faster @ 80% fan speed. my temps were only 37c too. i'll chect for a bios update on the gpu now

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Probably the default fan settings are not providing adequate cooling to the memory VRMs.
If that's the case then it's a defective card and he/she should RMA.
OP, do you have another card to test? All power cables are properly connected to the GPU?

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
There is a possibility that it might be defective, but I wanted him to try and see whether better cooling helps to alleviate the problem. If there is no BIOS fix, and if the PSU can be ruled out, then it would indeed be better to RMA the card.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
If you just got it and its failing, return it to the store for a replacement as it appears faulty. If you had another GPU to test with or another computer to test the GPU in that would be great, but most first time builders don't. The store should offer free replacement since it was faulty.