Question RX 7900 XT Crashes - Help!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cableman

Dec 6, 2017
I recently replaced my GTX 1070 with a RX 7900 XT. Finally had time to install it today. Used DDU to clear the old drivers. Ran Heaven a few times without any problems. Then started a few games to check the performance. Tried Control. Within 5 mins, I get a black screen and the PC crashes. It started doing the same in Witcher 3. Then I tried Heaven again and was running GPU-Z to monitor the temperature. It never goes beyond 76-77 degrees. After a few minutes, I get the same black screen and crash (at 75 degrees). No other apps are running.

Any ideas? I would appreciate any help.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
First reply from XFX. Despite explaining the issue in detail in my ticket (including the 2 PSUs), the technician sent me a 10 step guide on installing AMD drivers. That's it. Oh boy, this will be a long road...

Yeah, I would expect that any company is likely going to send you a boilerplate message or two and make you jump standard hurdles before exchanging hardware.

Being a bit on the other side of it, so many folks need to try the basics first.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah, I would expect that any company is likely going to send you a boilerplate message or two and make you jump standard hurdles before exchanging hardware.

Being a bit on the other side of it, so many folks need to try the basics first.
Damn straight. It's always PICNIC until proven otherwise.

If you are getting nowhere after a few exchanges, start a dispute with your CC company, Paypal, whatever.

Reactions: Leeea

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I had to RMA a card to Sapphire a few years back, and I didn't have to jump through any hoops. With the OP writing out a full email of everything they have tried, it was clear that the drivers had already been reinstalled. And that they were not the issue.

Reactions: Leeea and Cableman

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I predict this process takes a month - a week of back and forth to get the RMA approved, a week to ship it to them, a week for them to test it, a week to get it back.

I jumped through hoops for Visontek a couple years ago and that was my experience.

Most recently I contacted XFX about the warranty on my dads card because he waited too long to register it for the free extended warranty and after one response the second was a ticket responded to my question directly. FWIW, he told me in writing that as long as the card was registered in the first warranty period the warranty applied to the extended period as well. If you are just registering it now you may want to get the same assurance as I think the period was 30 days.

Cableman

Dec 6, 2017
Another update: UPS took forever to deliver the card to XFX - 9 days with delays at the UPS center on my end and then the blizzard in California where their RMA center is located. XFX received the card yesterday and after just over 24 hours, they approved a replacement and already shipped it back to me. I am pleasantly surprised by the speed with which XFX handled the RMA process. I checked their notes and it just says "Failed: Final Fantasy 14 black screen". I guess we'll never know what exactly caused it, but it was definitely a faulty card. I am assuming that they test thoroughly the replacements so I don't expect issues with that.

Once I receive it, I'll test the replacement and will post an update here. On the plus side, I ended up with a new 1000w PSU so I'm well covered :) Thank you everyone for the help with the troubleshooting!

Cableman

Dec 6, 2017
RMA update: I received the replacement GPU and have been testing it the last few hours. Ran Heaven around 10 times, played Control for about an hour and tested Witcher 3 with maxed RT to push the card. So far, everything is stable. Given that the original card was also stable initially, I'll keep testing the next few days before assuming it's all good. But there is currently no indication of problems. I hope that this is the end of that saga...

Cableman

Dec 6, 2017
Just a heads up here, that there is a chance this may be a driver issue. There is a new Radeon driver update out, that says it should fix driver hangs and crashes happening for some on 7000 series. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-3-1
It was 100% not a driver issue. The original card was tested by XFX and deemed faulty. And I tested the replacement with the same driver version as what I used with the original card. No issues whatsoever. Just updated the drivers - no change before and after.