Review RX 6600XT Reviews Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Rather than burry these in some 1000 page thread, may as well make them easy to find.

The performance is better than I expected. Fair bit faster than a 5700XT, but at a lot lower power consumption. Ray Tracing is poor, but that should not be a surprise. I do find it sad that TPU had to change their `Performance per Dollar` chart to include the obscene street prices :(

Reactions: Mopetar
Feb 4, 2009
Due to supply and demand, they will ALL still make extra bucks.But I do like the new/Su AMD. I could roast 75 percent of these forums digging up posts about how AMD is done, put a fork in them. AMD response - How do you like me now?

They have done everything and more, every detractor thought they couldn't, but they still are not happy. I wonder why? ;)

Fix my understanding I took the the 6600xt was super good at 1080P but thats pretty much it. Didn't work so great with ray tracing or 1440P.
Am I wrong?

I typically find amd video cards pretty unexciting. I really want them to be exciting, they just rarely are exciting.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Bryan has a great take on this. And he gives a quick economics lesson (I think it was his major at Uni) of why comparing prices to 2yrs ago is derptastic.

Best part is, check out his undervolting and clock limit test. Almost the same performance in SotTR but at under 80W! Outstanding performance per watt.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
You spent 3 pages talking about the pricing of Polaris cards that came out half a decade ago.

At *NO POINT* have you actually talked about the cards. All you have done is talk about general pricing in your specific area of the world, and how much you hate AMD.

If you have other things related to the reviews of this card and how it compares to the competition, you are welcome to discuss them.

But leave the nuances of socioeconomic variances by region and general fanboyism out of it.
I spent one post about Polaris to show that AMD pricing had been crap. My very first post on 'your' thread was on performance of the 6600 XT at its price, and how that is crap considering the 5700 XT. I also point out how the equivalent cards from the competition didn't receive a price increase, and that didn't sit well with you either. I only point out these things and the real fanboyism starts, ranging from denial to comically absurd justifications to show AMD in a good light. You are guilty of it too, don't deny it.

User insults (such as "fanboyism") is not allowed.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So the jest of your problem here is AMD is not as good at the corruption game as Nvidia?

AMD needs to up its game when negotiating with criminal scum?

AMD is just not buddy buddy with the right criminal organization to get the best prices?
LOL, NVIDIA is more competent at negotiating with distributors means that they are more corrupt. And then people have the audacity to call me a fanboy.

Reactions: Leeea

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So the jest of your problem here is AMD is not as good at the corruption game as Nvidia?

no they aren't but they are learning faster, and with deeper bad habits because they are also picking up some really bad habits from Intel as well.

Honestly you can't tell me the 6600XT is a 349.99 card.
And this isn't the higher classed AIB's.
Its a serious slap in the face to the budget gamer telling them go stuff yourself pleb, and get an XBOX / PS

Bryan has a great take on this. And he gives a quick economics lesson (I think it was his major at Uni) of why comparing prices to 2yrs ago is derptastic.

Best part is, check out his undervolting and clock limit test. Almost the same performance in SotTR but at under 80W! Outstanding performance per watt.

Reviews only get me more depressed when you compare it with a 5700XT.
Unbelievable how they were similarly priced.

Which makes me really sad we lost the RX580.... also sad you can't get a 1660 super even at the same price.

The GPU market is a mess.... Only only hope in salvation is if Intel does something or can even make an impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea
Feb 4, 2009
no they aren't but they are learning faster, and with deeper bad habits because they are also picking up some really bad habits from Intel as well.

And this isn't the higher classed AIB's.
Its a serious slap in the face to the budget gamer telling them go stuff yourself pleb, and get an XBOX / PS

Agreed at the 10k foot level. Without mining I believe there should be a competent 1080P card for $200 to $250. That card should last multiple years as in more than three years before failure.
Competent means high game settings and consistent 60fps give or take a bit.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Fix my understanding I took the the 6600xt was super good at 1080P but thats pretty much it. Didn't work so great with ray tracing or 1440P.
Am I wrong?

I typically find amd video cards pretty unexciting. I really want them to be exciting, they just rarely are exciting.
You have admitted your Nvidia bias before, and that's cool, nothing wrong with liking things.

Now let me give you my hot take on your technically correct (the best kind of correct) analysis.

Anyone judging ray tracing on a card of this level, is either being intentionally disingenuous, or is unintentionally parroting talking points from Nvidia and its massive marketing (including stealth, forum posers, bullying editorial direction, etc.) machine. I have a 3060, it is also not worth using ray tracing on. It's better than the 6600xt. But to put its advantage into context, Imma quote Mitch from Waiting - It's like being the smartest kid with downs syndrome.If I have offended anyone, too bad, grow thicker skin, it's a joke. These cards are simply not powerful enough to make it worthwhile. Same goes for the 2060 and super. Some disagree; whatev.

As to 1440p, definitely not up to snuff in the latest poorly optimized, Crysis is their inspiration, type games. I assure you there are far more games it can play well at 1440p than not. I never lose sight of the way data is manipulated by reviewers. Or how they use it to make a conclusion, that usually disagrees with my own experience and criteria. If your needs reflect the narrative they choose, good for you. I must be an outlier, because I disagree with many of their conclusions. And I will leave ranting about their technically correct, but insufficient to my needs, testing methodologies, for another thread.

And if almost 2070 super performance for $400 (5700xt) wasn't exciting to you, that's on you. Once 5700s going for as little as $325 were getting modded to be approx stock XT in performance, that was exciting to many of us too. And I consider all open source projects AMD gets involved in exciting.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Which makes me really sad we lost the RX580.... also sad you can't get a 1660 super even at the same price.

What do you mean? You can buy as many used RX580's for $300-$400 as you want.

That's half sarcasm, half serious.

That's a card that is half as fast as the 6600XT. If you have a RX580 in your hands and could buy a 6600XT for $380 (or $350, seems like splitting hairs atm) you could upgrade for ~$100-$150 and get a 100% performance increase which is very noticeable. This is not different than how it would have been before, all card values have shifted up. This doesn't make me mad.

For anyone sitting on a 1060 6GB or RX470-590 that have been waiting for something give them double performance for maybe a couple hundred bucks from AMD, here is the card.

I've seen a handful of RX cards crossing down below $300 (4GB ones mainly) and that's a good sign, I think? ha. I only got $325 for my last RX480 8GB, but they are valued far below the 580 for reasons.

I sold a RX470 8GB for $380 a few months back that I paid $90 shipped for about 18 months ago. The market is fubar.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I love these fantasy numbers that keep getting thrown around. Bryan nailed it, tech now has a minimum 25 percent inflation across the board. If you are here in the U.S. it is worse yet, due to the added tariffs.People paying VAT and such already had the cost built in, but for us, the tariff are a new expense to add.

I get it though; it is hard to change your Ferengi math, to the new Ferengi math, after doing it most of your tech enthusiast life. Much like parents helping their children with the new math homework?

I share the grim outlook that if you are expecting things to go back to the way they were, you are going to be most disappointed. And the MSRP crying is going to age horribly, because they are meaningless now, and will still be meaningless later. It is nothing more than a talking point to bash whatever the target of it is.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The GPU market is a mess.... Only only hope in salvation is if Intel does something or can even make an impact.
LOL@Intel saving us! :D And I will not hold my breath for them to help out DIYers. They provide a GT1030 competitor, when it was selling for $140 or more, then only give it to OEMs.

I think the only hope in the near future, is the glut of mining cards that will hit the market. If that does not leave cards sitting on shelves, forcing major price reductions, don't expect things to shake out until late next year or 2023. This is a sellers market, and they ain't in no hurry to change that. I fear even ragged out mining cards are going to reflect the new market by being at least 70 percent of the street price.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Its the debate between the people who live in the now and only relate to the now vs those who don't ignore history. In the end, a mostly pointless debate because these products are overpriced dreck. Just pay what you can afford or want to spend and move on. Most reviews of this stuff are a waste of time. Oh..oh.. you're getting a better value from the ultimate 1080p card at $379/399 with street prices all over the place changing weekly depending on where you live! That 3080ti is a good card says SegwayButterfingers Guy at $1200 vs the 10% slower $800 card vs the 5% faster $1500 card!

But hey, perf per watt debate is back in action! Which might matter a lot now that energy prices are going up everywhere. But then, spending $400-500 on a card to save 100watts of power from say a 5700xt to a 6600xt doesn't seem like a long term win to me. Better than the old FX vs SandyBridge++ cpu power debates I guess. Those were fights over $50 price differences.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
We had inflation before, that didnt stop AMD and NVIDIA to increase the perf/$ each generation before.

But let me explain a little,
In 2019 AMD released the RX5700XT at $399 using a NAVI 10 die with a die size of 251mm2 on a new and very expensive 7nm TSMC process.

Im sure AMD doesnt pay the same price for Wafers at 7nm for the smaller NAVI 23 (237mm2) today.
Also the cost of BOM for the RX6600XT is a lot lower vs RX5700XT because RX6600XT has a simpler PCB and smaller heat sink due to its 150W TDP vs 225W TDP of the RX5700XT.

Bottom line is that even if we get the 25% higher price due to inflation then the RX6600XT should have been priced lower that the current MSRP $379 and closer to $300.

I wonder how NVIDIA did priced RX3060 at $330 with a bigger chip and more memory or how they priced the RTX3060Ti at $399 using a chip as big as mound Olympus

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
We had inflation before, that didnt stop AMD and NVIDIA to increase the perf/$ each generation before.

But let me explain a little,
In 2019 AMD released the RX5700XT at $399 using a NAVI 10 die with a die size of 251mm2 on a new and very expensive 7nm TSMC process.

Im sure AMD doesnt pay the same price for Wafers at 7nm for the smaller NAVI 23 (237mm2) today.
Also the cost of BOM for the RX6600XT is a lot lower vs RX5700XT because RX6600XT has a simpler PCB and smaller heat sink due to its 150W TDP vs 225W TDP of the RX5700XT.

Bottom line is that even if we get the 25% higher price due to inflation then the RX6600XT should have been priced lower that the current MSRP $379 and close to $300.

I wonder how NVIDIA did priced RX3060 at $330 with a bigger chip and more memory.
You're not wrong, inflation is far from the only reason prices are so high. But we have been over that and over that, some are being willfully ignorant of it, because it gets in the way of manufactured outrage towards certain IHVs.

Material shortages, massive increases in shipping and transportation costs, unprecedented demand, bots enabling scalpers better than ever before. But no, let's roast AMD for asking more monopoly money than the old Ferengi math says is okay. A point that is whooshing over far too many heads it seems. That being, the old Ferengi math is no good now, and any analysis based on it is inane IMO.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
LOL@Intel saving us!

i know its not going to happen, but i can hope can't i? like how i can hope my doge coin hits 5 dollars by 2022?
(unrealistic hope, is still hope no? )

:p

In realistic sense tho, i just want a healthy supply of cards to goto GAMERS, so i can you know actually game with people, and not have dev's think up writing complex AI BOTS to play with.
I also want photo realistic graphics in games i play, and not have to go outside to experience it....

oh wait... i should go outside and get some sun and exercise....

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
i know its not going to happen, but i can hope can't i? like how i can hope my doge coin hits 5 dollars by 2022?
(unrealistic hope, is still hope no? )

:p
Turns out, no you are not allowed to hope anymore. See, we are in hardware hades now, and the sign at the gates clearly states "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." ;)

I am definitely very bearish on the near future of the DIY market. Pay attention to the trends, and all signs point to us being last in line in all respects. I remember begrudgingly recommending prebuilts a couple of years ago. The S.I.'s learned from that it seems. They are dominating parts allocation, getting desirable parts exclusively, like APUs, and being able to offer the systems for what they cost to buy the parts. While including comprehensive warranty, tech support, labor. A couple of years ago, we were all talking about how the desktop market was nearly dead, now they are seeing big growth. They are not going to cede those parts to us if they have anything to do with it.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Head on down to your beach front property in Arizona and do some surfing!...Maybe check out the babes while your at it?

my anime Wifu? can't even get those because of scalpers and COVID.

as for the property i sold it for:

10 Billion Dollars
(dramatic BGM queue)
*puts pinky on lower lip*

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
So my 6600XT arrived. I have the Asus Dual OC and it is nice to look at. Apart from that no idea because I am an idiot and I can't find the modular power cables for my PSU so my pcie 8 pin is MIA.

I must have put them somewhere 'safe' and now i cannot for the life of me remember where that actually is.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
So my 6600XT arrived. I have the Asus Dual OC and it is nice to look at. Apart from that no idea because I am an idiot and I can't find the modular power cables for my PSU so my pcie 8 pin is MIA.

I must have put them somewhere 'safe' and now i cannot for the life of me remember where that actually is.

Oh man. I can feel the anxiety. This is something I would totally do - and use the same "safe" descriptor for where it was. With the motherboard box? Did you keep the PSU box somewhere?

I am lame enough to have one of those big file drawers where you put hanging files full of spare PSUs and the bags of modular cables.

I've started to, with PCs that have covers over the PSU area, just plugging in a SATA cable and the included PCIe power cables, even when not used. I hate the find the cables game.

Good luck! The moment you stop looking you'll remember where they are :)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Timorous

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

Hope you find it!

I try to put everything in the motherboard box as my "safe" place.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Timorous

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Oh man. I can feel the anxiety. This is something I would totally do - and use the same "safe" descriptor for where it was. With the motherboard box? Did you keep the PSU box somewhere?

I am lame enough to have one of those big file drawers where you put hanging files full of spare PSUs and the bags of modular cables.

I've started to, with PCs that have covers over the PSU area, just plugging in a SATA cable and the included PCIe power cables, even when not used. I hate the find the cables game.

Good luck! The moment you stop looking you'll remember where they are :)

Dunno man, I have had 3 kids between the build and now and my office has moved rooms twice. I would probably have kept them in the PSU box but it came with a nice bag to put the cables in.

Anyway message sent to Seasonic to see if they will provide a quote for replacements. Meanwhile I will get some sleep and see if it comes to me in a dream.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno man, I have had 3 kids between the build and now and my office has moved rooms twice. I would probably have kept them in the PSU box but it came with a nice bag to put the cables in.

Anyway message sent to Seasonic to see if they will provide a quote for replacements. Meanwhile I will get some sleep and see if it comes to me in a dream.

Your probably just going to toss and turn instead of sleep....lol

Amazon would have been my 1st thought if I was in your situation....Of course I'm a box, accessory hoarder so I'm not. I use the case box to store all build related items, box's, etc.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Your probably just going to toss and turn instead of sleep....lol

Amazon would have been my 1st thought if I was in your situation....Of course I'm a box, accessory hoarder so I'm not. I use the case box to store all build related items, box's, etc.

So am I usually and I did have all the boxes hanging out in the case box for a while but when I had to move office room I got rid of the box. My hope is the PSU / cables were not inside. My alternative hope is that I was lazy so rather than it all going down the tip it ended up in a storage unit under my car port and is still there.

Edit: I did check amazon and there are extension cables but nothing to replace the bit that plugs into the PSU. I think the problem is there are no standards so wiring can be different for each PSU making it a bit of a lottery. Cablemods do some but they are £67 so might as well buy a new PSU rather than spend that much on cables.

I have been stuffing the extras into computer cases. Usually there is space near the back of the power supply.

If I find them / seasonic have a reasonable quote that is where they will go from now on.

Modular cables, great people say, much clean, very airflow, lose them like a doofus.

Reactions: Leeea