• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question RX 5700XT with Nvidia Shield Gamestream?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
This may be a really dumb question, but I'm thinking of upgrading my video card from a 1070 to either an RX 5700XT or RTX 2060 Super for play at 1440p. The 1070 is actually doing just fine, but it would allow me to give the 1070 to my oldest son and his 1060 3GB to my youngest. In reality this makes it a lot easier dealing with the wife ;-) I do on occasion though use my Shield for streaming from Steam to the upstairs TV. I'm leaning towards the 5700XT as it's price/performance is very appealing, even though I haven't owned an AMD card in ages. Obvious question, would Gamestream still be usable somehow?

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Doesn't Gamestream from NV, require NV Game Experience or whatever their NV helper app is? I don't think that will load with a non-NV card. Better get a 2080 Super instead.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Doesn't Gamestream from NV, require NV Game Experience or whatever their NV helper app is? I don't think that will load with a non-NV card. Better get a 2080 Super instead.
It does require GeForce Experience, but I was able to dig up threads with people using some sort of emulator to the same effect, although these were old threads and it's unclear if it's 'more' possible now? I very rarely use the Gamestream option, but I'm sure I'll miss it if it's no longer available. I suppose the 1070 will still be in my son's PC and I could use his.

The other thing that concerns me is the number of reviews on Newegg/Amazon complaining of crashes/instability/overheating with the AMD cards.

I assume you're being tongue-in-cheek with your 2080 Super comment...it will be hard enough getting a 2060 Super in the door as my wife feels that games are for children and vacations ('memories') are far more valuable than computer parts for said games ;-) It's also way overkill for 1440p/75Hz...my 1070 tops out already at that resolution.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Thanks for that. KinoConsole seems the most likely to replicate the Gamestream experience, I'll have to look into it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY