RX 480 seem to be selling like hot cakes.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I bet the 1060 surpasses the 480 in sales by August 6th.

I am sure it will. NV has a long history of selling worse videocards based on brand name alone. Off the top of my head: FX5200, 8600GT/S, GTS450, GTX550, GTX650/Ti, GTX750/750Ti, GTX960 2GB, etc. all overpriced and underperforming garbage that still outsold far superior competition. Even during HD5000/7000 when AMD had a massive lead in the $100-350 price segments, NV still smashed AMD. You ever heard of brand name and brand loyalty? Ever wonder why Tide demolishes Persil in North America but not in Europe? Same product. Ever wonder why Audi sells so well in Europe/Asia and Russia but trails Mercedes/BMW in North America by 2:1 in key market segments? Consumer buying prefers don't always follow logic.

Honda Civic and Accord, Toyota Corolla and Camry by far outsell the superior Mazda 3 and Mazda 6.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2014-compact-sedans-the-big-test/

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2016-chevrolet-malibu-vs-2016-honda-accord-2016-mazda-6-2016-toyota-camry-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

Most consumers make purchases based on brand value, perception and emotions, not logic. Since we don't know if 1060 6GB will cost $249 or $279-299, it's not yet conclusive but if 1060 6GB costs $279-299, it will just continue the trend of NV selling overpriced mainstream GPUs and still successfully outselling the competition. The fact that NV garnered 82% peak dGPU market share and yet over the last 7-8 years every AMD GPU could be had for free is everything I need to know about the lowest common denominator that prefers NV.

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Well, Gibbo @ OCUK expected the card to sell like hotcakes. He sold over 2000 reference cards in the 24 hours after launch, and has sold many thousands since. It exceeded his already lofty expectations for sales.

He has an initial order of 2000 Sapphire Nitro RX 480s coming in a few weeks and claims to be the first reseller in the world to be getting them. I suspect he'll sell out in short order.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29723575&postcount=156
I've taken 2000 to start with, this card gonna sell like crazy!!!

P.S. My local Microcenter still has a quantity restriction on GTX 1070/1080 of 1 per customer. No such limit on RX 480s.

May 11, 2008
Well, Gibbo @ OCUK expected the card to sell like hotcakes. He sold over 2000 reference cards in the 24 hours after launch, and has sold many thousands since. It exceeded his already lofty expectations for sales.

He has an initial order of 2000 Sapphire Nitro RX 480s coming in a few weeks and claims to be the first reseller in the world to be getting them. I suspect he'll sell out in short order.

P.S. My local Microcenter still has a quantity restriction on GTX 1070/1080 of 1 per customer. No such limit on RX 480s.

This seems to me your local microcenter wants to prevent that some people with large pockets buy the few cards that are there all at once and sell them for a higher price at sites like ebay. It seems like the babymilk formula issue we have here in NL.

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
This seems to me your local microcenter wants to prevent that some people with large pockets buy the few cards that are there all at once and sell them for a higher price at sites like ebay. It seems like the babymilk formula issue we have here in NL.
Holy... makes you think about priorities

Back to GPUs. Yeah, most of the cards on ebay etc had a good markup when i last checked.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

In Russia, major stores get favorable credit terms from NV/AIBs but not so from AMD. It means the same store has to pre purchase the entire AMD inventory with cash. When there is a customer base willing to pay more for slower $100-300 NV cards based on the last 10+ years of GPU history, in many countries it's simply better to sell more Nv cards. The stores aren't brand agnostic because they are in it to make $.

AMD is like Mazda - their global logistics and distribution network as well as the advertising and credit terms with retailers/wholesalers is weak. Same reason the garbage Pentium 4/D outsold Athlon XP/64.

Even the horribly overpriced 770 2-4GB probably sold as much as all 7950/7970/7970Ghz combined.

If we were to reverse the situation and AMD sold a card 15% faster for 25-40% higher cost, very few people would buy it over NV. Remember HD5850 vs GTX460? NV customer base waited 9! months to not buy a 5850..

HD2000/3000 devastated Radeon Group but FX5000 and GeForce 7 sold well despite being mediocre. Either way it's disappointing to see both AMD and NV paper launching the next generation. GTX1080 is close to a 2 months paper launch. AMD aimed at the $100-300 market but couldn't even supply enough 480s for more than 1 day of sales while paratoring how they we're targeting 84% of PC gamers. Both companies rushed their launches.

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
but when one vendor ships 200k cards and the other ships 10k cards, you see why there is a legitimate difference in the comments, no?

(numbers pulled entirely out of my ass; but still reflective of the situation)

I was thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if there's any way of getting those sales figures to compare, like opening week of major motion pictures.

I'm not seeing the big "$199US" deal here either... the short supply is driving up prices at the same time nVidia is clearing out GTX 970's. Even so, it's still a bit cheaper with twice the RAM and a lower power requirement. I'll admit I'm tempted...

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Care to explain why this thread is annoying for you?
As I guess you have no problem with that one?
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2477931

You'd have a point if the person you were complaining about hadn't posted this in the thread you linked over a week ago:

Ok, now everyone ask yourselves, no matter what side of the fence you sit on or balance on top. Do you really care how many 1080s Nvidia sells or doesn't sell?
Why is this a subject for debate, and why is this cared about? I can understand friendly observance and commentary on how well or poorly a product sells, but some of these posts are really heated and filled with animosity.
So come clean folks.
I don't personally care if 1080 out sells or undersells other products. But I'm super curious why others are. Shed some light.

It's pretty much the same post as he mad here, only more articulated. Going to have to say that you're grasping at straws on this one.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
that's a risky bet considering the strong rumors that available 1060 stock is just as bad as 1080/1070 stock.

I highly doubt any sizable quantity of 1060 cards approaching the quantities of 480 cards exist. Will be fun to watch this one unfold, and becoming the 1065.

Slaughterem

Mar 21, 2016
My local microcenter has both:
QTY 10+ MSI 1070, Qty 6 MSI 1080, Qty 0 Zotac 1080
Qty 6 8G Visontec 480 Qty 1 XFX 8G 480 cards available. In store pick up only.
Pricing - 1080 MSI $780 1070 MSI $490, Zotac 1080 at $699 is sold out.
The Visiontec is $249 and the XFX is $239.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005

Much to your disgust even the 960 wiped the floor with AMD in sales despite it being nothing special when compared to the AMD opposition. Being as the 1060 does look like being better in pretty well every way then the 480, realistically the 480 has no chance.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Much to your disgust even the 960 wiped the floor with AMD in sales despite it being nothing special when compared to the AMD opposition. Being as the 1060 does look like being better in pretty well every way then the 480, realistically the 480 has no chance.

And that is precisely why I continue to hold NVDA. It doesn't matter that it has a ridiculous P/E ratio, nor that its products are priced with a premium - it is a premium that consumers (and investors) have been and continue to be willing to pay.

The same can't be said of AMD. They pretty clearly have inferior products this generation unless you consider performance per dollar, but that's not a metric that's particularly appealing to shareholders who care about margins. People like me on the other hand will always consider perf/$ as one of my most important metrics.

Feb 19, 2009

Actually this is an accurate assessment.

1060 should have similar performance to custom RX 480 that will be in market at the time, but it wins in perf/w and importantly, it's low power enough to fit into crap OEM systems for easy upgrades.

It didn't help that the RX 480 had the PCIE issue, a tarnished reputation on an otherwise great product.

If NV can produce enough 1060 so they are in stock (ie, not a paper launch), AMD is in for a world of hurt.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not sure I'm going to pay up to $300, when I can get a 4GB card for $200. The final price will make a difference. 3GB is simply not acceptable.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
I am sure it will. NV has a long history of selling worse videocards based on brand name alone. Off the top of my head: FX5200, 8600GT/S, GTS450, GTX550, GTX650/Ti, GTX750/750Ti, GTX960 2GB, etc. all overpriced and underperforming garbage that still outsold far superior competition. Even during HD5000/7000 when AMD had a massive lead in the $100-350 price segments, NV still smashed AMD. You ever heard of brand name and brand loyalty? Ever wonder why Tide demolishes Persil in North America but not in Europe? Same product. Ever wonder why Audi sells so well in Europe/Asia and Russia but trails Mercedes/BMW in North America by 2:1 in key market segments? Consumer buying prefers don't always follow logic.

Honda Civic and Accord, Toyota Corolla and Camry by far outsell the superior Mazda 3 and Mazda 6.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

Most consumers make purchases based on brand value, perception and emotions, not logic. Since we don't know if 1060 6GB will cost $249 or $279-299, it's not yet conclusive but if 1060 6GB costs $279-299, it will just continue the trend of NV selling overpriced mainstream GPUs and still successfully outselling the competition. The fact that NV garnered 82% peak dGPU market share and yet over the last 7-8 years every AMD GPU could be had for free is everything I need to know about the lowest common denominator that prefers NV.

BAHAHHAHAHAHA you have to audacity to not only bring in auto comparisons but plainly go on to cherry pick articles and plainly state Mazda is superior to Honda/Toyota as if it were fact? Mazda is garbage in my opinion and there are far more reviews and actual figures favorable to Honda/Toyota, so please take this absurd, laughable Mazda dribble to the auto forums where you will be laughed out of there as well.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
BAHAHHAHAHAHA you have to audacity to not only bring in auto comparisons but plainly go on to cherry pick articles and plainly state Mazda is superior to Honda/Toyota as if it were fact? Mazda is garbage in my opinion and there are far more reviews and actual figures favorable to Honda/Toyota, so please take this absurd, laughable Mazda dribble to the auto forums where you will be laughed out of there as well.

Your opinion and no data versus motor trend and car & driver, you know actual data, yea....

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I guess the current over blown pcie- power issue is not resulting in people returning cards or not buying them.

They are very popular. Lot of sold out here.
Alternate.de still has them. I am seriously going to investigate if i can buy my upcoming (AIB + 2xhdmi)card there. It is almost 50 euro cheaper in Germany. :mad:

That's odd. I bought mine June 29 on Newegg. Just got it today because I opted for free shipping instead.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
Your opinion and no data versus motor trend and car & driver, you know actual data, yea....

You bother reading those links? What "actual data" did you see there? Or did you see a conglomerate of irrelevent statistics (who cares about quarter mile times for a 155hp car?) interweaved with highly subjective criterias (like rear seat comfort) that resulted in the overall ranking system? Oh look the Mazda 6 scored a 210 while the Chevy Malibu scored a 207.... Yeah... thought so. Funny enough Motor Trend/C&D and even Consumer Reports are notorious for these type of subjective rankings.

I know from experience the Mazda speed 3 is utter garbage as it consistantly broke down. The Honda Civic proved itself for the last decade, someone looking at a high end 280hp Accord or Camry with all the bells and whistles will laugh at someone suggesting a paltry Mazda 6 instead (and don't get me started on the Speed 6, another piece of garbage that breaks more often than castle made out of ice cream sticks).

Point is, there are multitude of reasons of why people buy and prefer cars and there is no "cut and dry" superior model. Anyone who suggests otherwise is clearly ignorant. All cars within a segment are functionally the same, what people make their buying choices on are the intangibles thats important to THEM, like performance, styling, standard features, etc.. And for most people, you only get a first impression once...unlike these arbitrary magazine articles that every competent reader sees through.

Last edited:

faseman

May 8, 2009
Not surprised that the RX480 is doing well. $199 is a good price for the performance it gives.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004

Mayfield Heights by chance?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-6

The sad thing is you would expect consumers that posses technical knowledge building and maintaining computers to be more on the ball about being logical and vetting reviews and information before spending money on a gpu.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Really? consider that TSMC will deliver ALWAYS the supply issues. nVIDIA might have not so much chance this time.

nVIDIA should tought to ally with Intel and use their fabs in order to deliver the most powerful chip ever made... with highest ammounts ever. With that AMD couldn't stood a chance.

Rannar

Aug 12, 2015

Agree 100%. Here in Eastern- Europe some Mazda generations have had great short term success but in the end they have always fallen behind Toyota for a reason. Can't hold up with pace of improvements (are usually at least 1 generation behind in engine efficiency).
I would also not say 750/ 750 TI were garbage -had very good perf per watt. About the rest agree.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Really? consider that TSMC will deliver ALWAYS the supply issues. nVIDIA might have not so much chance this time.

nVIDIA should tought to ally with Intel and use their fabs in order to deliver the most powerful chip ever made... with highest ammounts ever. With that AMD couldn't stood a chance.

What makes you think this is even an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.