RX 480 seem to be selling like hot cakes.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
What amd could do instead of this mess is just doing like with 390 launch. Let the aib take care of it. Wait 3 weeks. Build stock of chip while doing so. Tune and test bios and drivers. Diversify to different 480 variants. Let the aib take glory and blame. Let them work for you.
They know market better.
They know retail better.
They know reviewers better.
And foremost. They know consumers better.

Amd is selling this card in huge numbers. No wonder loking at perf vs price and the sweetspot its in. Having let the aib handle it they would have been in a far better sitution where they would strengthen their brand as a quality product instead of just beeing value.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
@ $200/250 how could it not sell? The low price and nothing in this price range that matches it, it would have to sell very well. Does this surprise anyone?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The only thing missing about that cool story is unfortunately real 1080 cards.

So he didn't miss the absence of the hypocrisy he accused me of? Methinks he did and I'll not get an apology either. That's how forums roll right?

And I don't care if 1080s or 480s or whatever are missing or not. Hence my question, why do others. I know you get it. :thumbsup:

Aug 11, 2008
Care to explain why this thread is annoying for you?
As I guess you have no problem with that one?
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2477931

That thread had a documented source, whether one accepts it or not. This one is just based on out of stock retailers, which seems to be a positive for AMD, and a "paper launch", (criticized very harshly) for NVidia. So yes, it annoys me too, because of the double standard.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Why VIA? How can it cause issue for 1060?

Not that complicated, but I can explain.
Thanks to the Chinese government, VIA got funds to develop their 16 nm processor and along Lenovo they are preparing to sell it in all the Chinese market and soon other markets too. And that along Apple and Mediate demand of 16 nm chips will complicate nVIDIA supply even more.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I dont want to come off as an amdfan or otherwise but i dont get the grief.
In my mind, AMD just had a successful launch of a very competetive product... on a glofo process... on a Global Foundries process node. GLOBAL FOUNDRIES.
Is this not a massive success (ibm or not) in it self?
I know I had zero expectations for this launch.

As I understand AMD is planning to stay on this node till 7nm, that means what, 5 years to hone and enhance the node, we may be looking at a very immature node here, this launch may shape up to iron out some kinks before zen as well.

Ill award 10 points to team red for this launch.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Why is this a topic?

AMD is the underdog in all its match-ups at this point. Everyone likes an underdog success story.

Maybe some people like seeing AMD do well to bring more a more competitive market.

Everyone knows NV is going to sell a truckload of whatever it makes. The same cannot be said of AMD.

DidelisDiskas

Dec 27, 2015
Well, the ones here go for 310-350 euro and they are still able to sell them (1070 being 600 euro and the 1080 being infinity euro might have something to do with it).

atticus14

Apr 11, 2010
hopefully their strong sales continue with the AIB cards, and specifically looking at the Nitro which isn't supposed much more... hopefully only 10 more then reference. Of course MSRP prices usually only last as long as launch day, then the gouging begins. I need to see the 1060 prices and let the hype prices die down a bit. Once the sales start happening and rebates kick in is when the real price/$ war starts for me. Probably about 3 months out, unless they just keep selling at an inedible pace. I also wonder how long reference models will be in production.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah...pretty funny.

I can't find a new NV card!
Yields are very low. Card shipments are pitiful.

I can't buy a new AMD card!
They're selling like hotcakes! Can't keep 'em in stock!

but when one vendor ships 200k cards and the other ships 10k cards, you see why there is a legitimate difference in the comments, no?

(numbers pulled entirely out of my ass; but still reflective of the situation)

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
that's a risky bet considering the strong rumors that available 1060 stock is just as bad as 1080/1070 stock.
I pity anyone who buys a 1060. Give it a year and the rx480 will like be nearly as fast as the gtx1070 in dx12 games.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Damn. I guess if you frequent this forum you probably would have underestimated the demand for a good $200 video card. I hope the supply catches up when the AIB cards start releasing. I want to upgrade my 760, but I ain't supporting price gouging.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Haven't checked Amazon for a few days, but today I see them listed....and the various Amazon vendors have them going for $240-340. o_O

At least Newegg has kept their (OOS) listings very close to MSRP.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
but when one vendor ships 200k cards and the other ships 10k cards, you see why there is a legitimate difference in the comments, no?

(numbers pulled entirely out of my ass; but still reflective of the situation)

What I see is that a lot of people here say things as if they know what they are talking about, when they haven't got a clue. :D

It's just something you roll with though, when you read things here. :)

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
That thread had a documented source, whether one accepts it or not. This one is just based on out of stock retailers, which seems to be a positive for AMD, and a "paper launch", (criticized very harshly) for NVidia. So yes, it annoys me too, because of the double standard.
Wrong.
Speculation is not a source even if its from wordpress or tapatalk.
Its crap exactly without a source.
What we have is hard evidense pointing otherwise. Then a man getting click from writing otherwise.
Always sensational clickbait news.
Btw. There might perhaps both be high demand for 1080 AND low supply.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What I see is that a lot of people here say things as if they know what they are talking about, when they haven't got a clue. :D

It's just something you roll with though, when you read things here. :)

well as far as stock is concerned, the issue from each vendor had been well-reported throughout the nVidia launches and the AMD launch.

It was pretty well understood here that AMD had far more supply to sell. Yes, you can say that "both sell like hotcakes" when x amount of stock is sold out from each vendor, but you can't dismiss the criticism of one having supply issues when their x is compared to the 20x of their competitor.

Plenty of people here were also predicting that AMD would fail and sell nothing. People here think that their ~1% representation of this market is somehow relevant to the actual market, so you see a lot of bizarre opinions on what AMD was aiming to do with this card. Even when they have issues with this launch regarding the power draw, you can only conclude that this has been a great success for AMD...but, well, unless you are a certain type of ATer that still claims AMD is dead, this is a complete failure, Everyone knows this issue will kill them (Again confusing "everyone" with the 1% of people that actually pay attention to these forums :D).

etc

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
well as far as stock is concerned, the issue from each vendor had been well-reported throughout the nVidia launches and the AMD launch.

It was pretty well understood here that AMD had far more supply to sell. Yes, you can say that "both sell like hotcakes" when x amount of stock is sold out from each vendor, but you can't dismiss the criticism of one having supply issues when their x is compared to the 20x of their competitor.

Plenty of people here were also predicting that AMD would fail and sell nothing. People here think that their ~1% representation of this market is somehow relevant to the actual market, so you see a lot of bizarre opinions on what AMD was aiming to do with this card. Even when they have issues with this launch regarding the power draw, you can only conclude that this has been a great success for AMD...but, well, unless you are a certain type of ATer that still claims AMD is dead, this is a complete failure, Everyone knows this issue will kill them (Again confusing "everyone" with the 1% of people that actually pay attention to these forums :D).

etc

Actually, I would expect much higher numbers of lower level cards.

I would expect way more 480s than 1080s in the marketplace.

The 1080 and the 1070 are made from the same chip, too.

The 1060 is a different chip. So we will see if it seems to be in greater supply?

May 11, 2008
Oh, you Nvidia fans are so boring.
Shall i make you happy and make a GTX 1080/1070 hot cakes thread too ?
Come on. You guys cannot stand it do you that people are actually happy with the RX 480. I remember Bush junior had a nice comment about choosing sides...

I rather be discussing interesting details such as downclocking a GTX 1080 to the level of a GTX 980 and see how much faster it still is at the same clock. Just for the understanding how Nvidia improved Maxwell to what it is now : Pascal.
I like the little details in the creation of a gpu.
And do the same thing with an RX480 with the R9 380X.
Just to see the differences.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
1080 already has the best selling high end card in history thread, but sadly it did not get the hot cake award as well. Tough cookie.

Yeah, you can't even make a joke about the threads.

You just can't win. :D

Drama queen forum. :)

May 11, 2008
Yeah, you can't even make a joke about the threads.

You just can't win. :D

Drama queen forum. :)

latest

:biggrin:

I sure got response...

Status
Not open for further replies.