Question RX 480 No Signal on new setup - Motherboard incompatibility? At a loss.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
Hi all, this is a bit of a redacted for me at this point so please bear with me, I want to try to go through as much of the troubleshooting I've done as possible to avoid wasting anyone's time.

I was using an FX4300, Asrock 760gm-hdv, 8gb ddr3, rx480 8gb (SKU 21260-00) setup but decided to upgrade and picked up:
- Intel i5 10400f
- Gigabyte H410m S2H (later replaced by an ASUS Prime H410M-E; I'll get to that)
- G.skill aegis 2x8gb ddr4 @3000mhz

I slapped my old parts into another pc with a 560ti and installed the new ones with my rx480.
Attempting to boot the new setup with the RX480 gave me no display signal - at that point I tried to slot in an old HD 4550 into the new build and everything worked flawlessly. I then try to boot new build with the 560ti - everything works fine again. So it's not the hdmi cable, it's not the pcie slot on the new mobo.

Worried that my 480 is dead, I plug it into the old setup with the fx4300 and... it works fine. The PSUs are 500 and 600w for the old and new setups respectively and both have run the 480 no questions asked, so neither of them are dead or insufficient. Have tried all possible configurations of the RAM as well, no change, and the RAM does work when I boot with other cards.

I tried updating the bios for the new motherboard to the new version - no dice. Same with fiddling with bios settings - CSM on or off, above 4g encoding, just about every setting that makes any mention of UEFI or Legacy I try either way, etc. - once again, no luck. No signal when I use the RX480 with the new build, but it works fine with both the 560TI and the 4550.

To be clear, the 480s fan does spin up with the new build (and yes lol I'm plugging in the 6pin), I just get no display with it specifically. I booted with the 4550 and used DDU to clear previous drivers, I've reset the CMOS twice now, still no display from the 480 and only the 480 in the new setup. Will also mention that I'm almost certain the system is booting, to Windows, as I've found that in the first couple of seconds when I boot the system with the RX480 I only need to press the power button once to shut it down (as per the BIOS setting), but when I let it go for a minute (ie, when I give it enough time to get to Windows) I need to hold down the power button.

At this stage I return the Gigabyte motherboard and grab an ASUS one - exact same situation. No signal from the 480, works completely fine with the other 2 cards.

What's the chances that my 480 just doesn't play well with the BIOS' on these new motherboards? I'm seriously confounded, as searching up the SKU of the card gave me the knowledge that it's a UEFI card, but it works just fine on the AM3+ socket motherboard, but not on the LGA1200 ones.

I'm approaching wit's end here and am contemplating just shelving the RX 480 and trying to sell it while the GPU situation is as crazy as it is and using the 10400f system with a 560 Ti (ugh...).

Would really really appreciate any advice.
Cheers

Profanity isn't allowed in the tech sub-forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Hmm interesting. The card definitely works.

I think it may be because you have the 10400F. Try seeing that the output is to the dGPU, not the iGPU(which doesn't exist on the 10400F).

Also you are saying it doesn't display at all? Not even safe mode? I realized on the RX 570 sometimes nothing shows until it boots to Windows.

I boot the system with the RX480 I only need to press the power button once to shut it down (as per the BIOS setting), but when I let it go for a minute

Sorry I don't understand what that means. For years I have set it so when I don't see the display but feel it's in Windows, when I click and release the power button Windows will properly shut down. Holding it for a few seconds is when I want to force shut it down since the system hard crashed.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
did you try disabling gen 3 pci, seemed to help this guy having similar issues

Yes try setting it to PCI gen 3 or 2 and see if anything changes.

Yes, I've tried all options between Gen 1/Gen 2/Gen 3/Auto, doesn't seem to have an impact.

Hmm interesting. The card definitely works.

I think it may be because you have the 10400F. Try seeing that the output is to the dGPU, not the iGPU(which doesn't exist on the 10400F).

Also you are saying it doesn't display at all? Not even safe mode? I realized on the RX 570 sometimes nothing shows until it boots to Windows.

Sorry I don't understand what that means. For years I have set it so when I don't see the display but feel it's in Windows, when I click and release the power button Windows will properly shut down. Holding it for a few seconds is when I want to force shut it down since the system hard crashed.

The display output is set to use the PCIe slot, yes; as you point out the 10400f doesn't have an iGPU so the BIOS settings don't even list using the iGPU as an option.

Yes, that's correct - it doesn't display at all. I admittedly haven't tried setting Windows to boot into safe mode while on another GPU, then installing the 480 and booting while set to Safe Mode - I'll try that today, thanks!

Apologies if I was confusing; what I was trying to convey is that, before getting to Windows, as per the BIOS settings, it only takes a single press of the power button to shut the system down - whereas when I'm in Windows, a single press will shut down eventually, but to shut down instantly, you need to hold down the power button (ie force the shutdown). Hence my guess that the 480 is in fact getting to the OS. Hope that clears it up.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, I've tried all options between Gen 1/Gen 2/Gen 3/Auto, doesn't seem to have an impact.

The display output is set to use the PCIe slot, yes; as you point out the 10400f doesn't have an iGPU so the BIOS settings don't even list using the iGPU as an option.

Yes, that's correct - it doesn't display at all. I admittedly haven't tried setting Windows to boot into safe mode while on another GPU, then installing the 480 and booting while set to Safe Mode - I'll try that today, thanks!

Apologies if I was confusing; what I was trying to convey is that, before getting to Windows, as per the BIOS settings, it only takes a single press of the power button to shut the system down - whereas when I'm in Windows, a single press will shut down eventually, but to shut down instantly, you need to hold down the power button (ie force the shutdown). Hence my guess that the 480 is in fact getting to the OS. Hope that clears it up.
That is how the power button is supposed to work.

I want to make sure I understand the main issue: you put the RX480 in and press the power button and get no output at all? I have seen stuff like that before but I have never figured out why.

My best guess is something is preventing the RX480 from initializing properly. Is it possible that card isn't seated properly? The power cable(s) not seating correctly? Any dirt in the PCIe slot? Is there a BIOS switch on the RX480? This is most definitely a card issue but the particular cause is going to be difficult to isolate.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
That is how the power button is supposed to work.

I want to make sure I understand the main issue: you put the RX480 in and press the power button and get no output at all? I have seen stuff like that before but I have never figured out why.

My best guess is something is preventing the RX480 from initializing properly. Is it possible that card isn't seated properly? The power cable(s) not seating correctly? Any dirt in the PCIe slot? Is there a BIOS switch on the RX480? This is most definitely a card issue but the particular cause is going to be difficult to isolate.

Yes, no output from the 480 only on this newer system.
With the number of times I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 480 at this point (due to needing to use a separate GPU to try alternate BIOS settings) I'm fairly confident I'm getting it seated properly; same with the 6pin power from the PSU.

I've disqualified PCIe slot issues as being the culprit, as two other GPUs (a 560Ti and an HD 4550) work with no issues.
There is no BIOS switch on the 480, as it's a reference model, manufactured by Sapphire (SKU 21260-00).

I'll add that at this stage, about two weeks into this whole adventure, I've stumbled upon reports of people having similar issues and them stemming from the hybrid ROM of the GPU (meant to accommodate both Legacy and UEFI systems), so I'm exploring that on Winraid forums.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019

Also check and see if there are any bios updates for your particular 480. You could just be having a weird incompatibility issue with that specific board/gpu combo.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, no output from the 480 only on this newer system.
With the number of times I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 480 at this point (due to needing to use a separate GPU to try alternate BIOS settings) I'm fairly confident I'm getting it seated properly; same with the 6pin power from the PSU.

I've disqualified PCIe slot issues as being the culprit, as two other GPUs (a 560Ti and an HD 4550) work with no issues.
There is no BIOS switch on the 480, as it's a reference model, manufactured by Sapphire (SKU 21260-00).

I'll add that at this stage, about two weeks into this whole adventure, I've stumbled upon reports of people having similar issues and them stemming from the hybrid ROM of the GPU (meant to accommodate both Legacy and UEFI systems), so I'm exploring that on Winraid forums.
perhaps a BIOS flash for the RX480 could fix this issue? I had to flash an RX570 mining card to get it working correctly.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
Also check and see if there are any bios updates for your particular 480. You could just be having a weird incompatibility issue with that specific board/gpu combo.

perhaps a BIOS flash for the RX480 could fix this issue? I had to flash an RX570 mining card to get it working correctly.

Yep, this is what I'm exploring at the moment. I'll note that this issue has persisted across two motherboards (the Gigabyte H410M S2H and the ASUS Prime H410M-E), so I'm unsure that it's a very specific mobo-gpu thing (unless I'm just very thoroughly unlucky!).

The official page for the GPU has no BIOS updates that I can see; Tech Powerup does host vBIOS' but the ones they have for this GPU in specific seem to just be the default initial one. Nonetheless I'll check what's on the 480 currently.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Yep, this is what I'm exploring at the moment. I'll note that this issue has persisted across two motherboards (the Gigabyte H410M S2H and the ASUS Prime H410M-E), so I'm unsure that it's a very specific mobo-gpu thing (unless I'm just very thoroughly unlucky!).

The official page for the GPU has no BIOS updates that I can see; Tech Powerup does host vBIOS' but the ones they have for this GPU in specific seem to just be the default initial one. Nonetheless I'll check what's on the 480 currently.
maybe that RX480 doesn't like the H410 chipset?

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
maybe that RX480 doesn't like the H410 chipset?

It's a possibility!
One that I'd be unsure what to make of, though, partly because I'd have to just accept defeat here (and I've still got a tinge of optimism in me here!), and partly as the place I picked up the motherboard(s) at straight up doesn't have any B460's in stock (go figure, that's what I get for living in redacted nowhere ey?) - otherwise I would've just picked one of those up as the replacement for the initial Gigabyte H410M board. I don't really feel like jumping to a Z490 since I've already spent a lot on this whole shebang.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It's a possibility!
One that I'd be unsure what to make of, though, partly because I'd have to just accept defeat here (and I've still got a tinge of optimism in me here!), and partly as the place I picked up the motherboard(s) at straight up doesn't have any B460's in stock (go figure, that's what I get for living in redacted nowhere ey?) - otherwise I would've just picked one of those up as the replacement for the initial Gigabyte H410M board. I don't really feel like jumping to a Z490 since I've already spent a lot on this whole shebang.
sometimes you have to admit defeat.

You are fitting in well here on our forums. Hopefully, you become a life long member with the rest of old timers. :)

PS: we don't allow profanity in the tech sub-forums so I redacted it.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
Haha all good, apologies for the occasional f-bomb.

Yeah, I don't know - I think I'll spend the day fiddling with the vBIOS and see where that lands me. If I still don't manage to fix it I think it'll be the stage at which I admit defeat and I'll just rock with the 560ti. Maybe try to sell or trade the 480 but not super optimistic in the middle of bumf- er, redacted nowhere :p

Will report back for any other poor saps who find themselves in a similar situation.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
It's a possibility!

Just a last check try disabling fast boot and disconnecting your SATA/hard drives to prevent booting to windows.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
That 480 8GB is going to net you like mid $300 - $400+ if you use something like eBay to sell it, regardless of where you live.

You should (maybe) be able to turn that into something like a 1070 which would be a nice match for your upgrade. I for sure see 1650 Super OEMS (ie, Dell/HP pulls) in that price range on the regular.

Madsen03

May 6, 2021
Just a last check try disabling fast boot and disconnecting your SATA/hard drives to prevent booting to windows.

Tried, no dice.

That 480 8GB is going to net you like mid $300 - $400+ if you use something like eBay to sell it, regardless of where you live.

You should (maybe) be able to turn that into something like a 1070 which would be a nice match for your upgrade. I for sure see 1650 Super OEMS (ie, Dell/HP pulls) in that price range on the regular.

Yeah I mean trying to sell it is a consideration for sure. I don't think I could expect $300-$400, though, and living in Bosnia I'm unsure how trying to sell outside of the country would go considering shipping/customs shenanigans.

On a separate note, as an update:
I have tried modifying the 480's BIOS as per this post on Win-Raid forums. No change.
I then reflashed my initial, backed up copy back onto the card, and used a GOP updater from the same forum -- no change, no matter what the mobo BIOS settings.

Might just call it a day at this stage. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, appreciate it.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Uh, when you said middle of nowhere I didn't fully understand that meant Bosnia! Sorry about that.

Sorry you are having so much trouble. If I were in your shows I would be extremely frustrated. The RX480 is a really solid card even these days.

Can you mine with your old rig? Eth prices are the same across the world so far as I know :D

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Tried, no dice.

Yeah I mean trying to sell it is a consideration for sure. I don't think I could expect $300-$400, though, and living in Bosnia I'm unsure how trying to sell outside of the country would go considering shipping/customs shenanigans.

On a separate note, as an update:
I have tried modifying the 480's BIOS as per this post on Win-Raid forums. No change.
I then reflashed my initial, backed up copy back onto the card, and used a GOP updater from the same forum -- no change, no matter what the mobo BIOS settings.

Might just call it a day at this stage. Thanks to everyone who tried to help, appreciate it.

Yeah sucks, sorry. Gotta chalk this up to a weird compatibility problem, rare, but happens.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm having a similar problem with a newly-purchased GT710 2GB GDDR5 from Asus, trying to it to work with a Gateway SX-285x slim desktop with a Sandy Bridge Pentium G630 CPU and 2x4GB DDR4, and a SATA SSD.

I pulled out a previously-working PNY GT430 DDR3 LP card, and slotted in the GT710, and I don't get any output at all (*), for some reason. But my two different LCD monitors (tried both the HDMI and DVI-D outputs on the card, show it is getting a signal, but just black-screen. (* But NOT "No signal" from monitor OSD.)

I get POST beeps, and POST when using the onboard, so the PC isn't dead.

Very weird. I don't know if the base PC mobo has a BIOS update or not, I believe being so old that it already has the newest, but maybe there were some Spectre/Meltdown patches that updated the BIOS, and maybe it picked up some more updated bits regarding UEFI or Secure Boot? Maybe this is just a Secure Boot issue? (Did Sandy Bridge-era PCs even have UEFI or Secure Boot?)