"RV870 story: Amd showing up to the fight"

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I enjoy the articles like this, the ones that kind of give us hardware enthusiasts a glimpse of what goes on to get these things built and out on the market.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
That was fantastic. They eventually reached a decent compromise between size and performance (hyuck hyuck hyuck!) and their refined design philosophy (Do what the engineers know they can, not what marketing wants on the box). Its really paid off well for them.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Too bad I don't have time to read this now. This looks like one of the most interesting articles I have seen in a long time. (I just glanced at the page discussing "side port")

Last edited:

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Good article. The only thing that really amazed me, is that they were initially shooting for a bigger die size. Must be nice to be Anand and have acces to those engineers, not only during a pressevent, but also 'backstage'.

I wonder if Eyefinity is going to pay off btw. I can see use for it in office pc's, but for now the dell's we've got, still have quadro's in them. Most colleagues rather have my custom built pc with eyefinity though :D

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
This is what makes Anandtech stand out from the rest of the boys in the band. Great article! I really enjoyed reading the RV770 Story and this was not a dissapointment.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Excellent article, one of the best tech-based ones I've read. Thanks Anand.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Good read, just wish the writing was better. It's a shame that the site is becoming increasingly a destination for other media outlets for information in computer hardware/IT, yet the writing is still stuck, in many cases, with 8th grade grammar use.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Good read, just wish the writing was better. It's a shame that the site is becoming increasingly a destination for other media outlets for information in computer hardware/IT, yet the writing is still stuck, in many cases, with 8th grade grammar use.
Unless you show specific example of errors in grammar, your comment doesn't have much merit. There's no reason to alienate part of Anandtech's reader base with superfluous language (see what I did there?).

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Unless you show specific example of errors in grammar, your comment doesn't have much merit. There's no reason to alienate part of Anandtech's reader base with superfluous language (see what I did there?).

OK....here's one sentence with multiple problems:

In the same vain that Steve Jobs is successful because he is a product guy at heart, running a company who is best known for their products.
First, vain is NOT the correct word....it's VEIN. VAIN is an emotion.

Second, a company is NEVER a WHO. The word to be used was either which or that. (Or even better, simply leave out the superfluous "who is" and write "a company best known....")

Third, the sentence mixed a singular noun and plural possessive pronoun.....a company---their products. As a company is a singular entity, ITS should have been used as the possessive pronoun, not their.

And fourth, that sentence isn't even a complete sentence but a long sentence fragment.

And this is in just one sentence. 8th grade English isn't that sloppy.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Good read, I just wish the writing was better. It's a shame that the site is becoming increasingly a destination for other media outlets for information in computer hardware/IT, yet the writing is still stuck, in many cases, with 8th grade grammar use.

Ironic with missing pronoun, the double for, and over use of commas.

Maybe replace the second for with to acquire or something?

Edit: Use is redundant when referring to grammar as a whole.

Edit2: It would seem the best way to subordinate the second clause would be

"hardware/IT; yet in many cases, the grammar is stuck at an 8th grade level"

Edit3: With regards to your complaint here

First, vain is NOT the correct word....it's VEIN. VAIN is an emotion.

Second, a company is NEVER a WHO. The word to be used was either which or that. (Or even better, simply leave out the superfluous "who is" and write "a company best known....")

Third, the sentence mixed a singular noun and plural possessive pronoun.....a company---their products. As a company is a singular entity, ITS should have been used as the possessive pronoun, not their.

And fourth, that sentence isn't even a complete sentence but a long sentence fragment.

And this is in just one sentence. 8th grade English isn't that sloppy.

Your critism is really taken out of context and actually mostly punctuational. If you subordinate the first sentence onto the second it reads quite nicely.

In the same vein that Steve Jobs is successful because he is a product guy at heart, running a company best known for its products. Jonney Shih is an engineer at heart, and he runs a company who has always been known for their excellence in engineering.

becomes

In the same vein that Steve Jobs is successful because he is a product guy at heart running a company best known for its products, Jonney Shih is an engineer at heart and runs a company which has always been known for its excellence in engineering.

Edit: I notice some changes have been made already and maybe some more are needed.

Edit: When you mention Steve Jobs vain is appropriate usage.

Last edited:

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Ironic with missing pronoun, the double for, and over use of commas.

Maybe replace the second for with to acquire or something?

Edit: Use is redundant when referring to grammar as a whole.
Zing! (could also have replaceduse with usage, but meh).
Right, but that's one sentence. The whole article isn't like that, which was the point I was going to make. Maybe they'd be happy to have someone proofread for them.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
This is what makes Anandtech stand out from the rest of the boys in the band. Great article! I really enjoyed reading the RV770 Story and this was not a dissapointment.

Agreed. I find my eyes glazing at benchmark charts at times even though I do use them when making a purchasing decision. It's articles like these that really make a tech site stand out from the pack.

@Meghan54

Yes there are a few errors but I feel you're into nitpicking territory. The grammar errors you point out may be true but at the same time it's not like this is a literary web site and we are not English majors here. For me, so long as it's not filled with crap like "u" instead of "you" or "2day" instead of "today" then I'm fine with the writing of a tech article. I do hold to higher standards of writing depending on where it's printed or published. Don't take this to mean I'm excusing the errors such as using "vain" instead of "vein" or other error. There should be someone else who proofreads the articles and not just run a spell check considering the size of Anandtech's readership.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006

We are, for the most part, all technical people on this web site. To that end, the article read perfectly. We don't need complete and proper prose to get a point across, and short technical writing will suffice. I didn't see any glaringly obvious spelling mistakes.

Great article btw.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I am still reading the article but one thing that really got my attention was "sideport" (allowing synchronization of GPUs without performance loss).

Does anyone else see a possible connection between this and some of the other issues Carrell faced with investing two development teams on the Evergreen stack of chips?

From the article said:
The idea of taking such a huge risk made Carrell uncomfortable. Running two GPU designs in parallel, for the same family of chips, is risky. If everything works out perfectly, you get two chips out at the same time. If it doesn&#8217;t, you&#8217;ve just tied up two design teams on one product generation. A slip here would give ATI its own Fermi.

Could "sideport" be the key to developing just one small die GPU and then scaling the number of chips used on a PCB to fulfill various market niches.?

Voo

Golden Member
Feb 27, 2009
I really liked the RV770 article and this one is just as great. The only thing that'd be really cool would be if there were a similar article about nVidia - but I fear that won't happen.. completely different attitudes :(

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really liked the RV770 article and this one is just as great. The only thing that'd be really cool would be if there were a similar article about nVidia - but I fear that won't happen.. completely different attitudes :(

I kind of thought the same thing after I read this article. That AMD has done two of these meetings with Anand, but we never got something like this from Nvidia. I'm not sure if Nvidia is much more tight with their information or something, but it would of been nice to read something similar from the Nvidia side of things. But, I'll take what I can get.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3740&p=8

Regarding Nvidia, I though the discussion here regarding their separate strategies was very interesting. I definitely learned something new by reading that.

But you are right, we have to wonder what features Nvidia is planning? With their weaker process technology I have to wonder if they are trying to develop some type of "pooled/shared" VRAM for multiple GPUs. That could help them tremendously considering ATI is able to more efficiently produce larger chips on early nodes.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I enjoy the articles like this, the ones that kind of give us hardware enthusiasts a glimpse of what goes on to get these things built and out on the market.

+1

I enjoyed the first article and this one too. We pour over benchmarks and debate to no end, but rarely encounter this kind of insider info. Thumbs up to AMD for opening up. I hope nV shares similar info about Fermi's development. Regardless of how it stacks up, there's a LOT of story there for sure.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3740&p=8

Regarding Nvidia, I though the discussion here regarding their separate strategies was very interesting. I definitely learned something new by reading that.

But you are right, we have to wonder what features Nvidia is planning? With their weaker process technology I have to wonder if they are trying to develop some type of "pooled/shared" VRAM for multiple GPUs. That could help them tremendously considering ATI is able to more efficiently produce larger chips on early nodes.

AMD has sideport, in theory can be used for the same thing. So while ATI is able to deliver performance/size, they soon will be able to bring multi-gpu's.