Ruth's Criss Steakhouse

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Wife and I took our daughter out for her birthday. Worth every penny for the experience.

I thought I had Prime Filet, but never like what I had last night. I think I might want to try out other high end steak houses now.
agree i really enjoy the spot, i usually get lobster and tbone.

Reactions: rasczak

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
"Each steak is prepared just the way Ruth liked it: seared to perfection in an 1800° custom broiler, finished with butter, fresh parsley, then served on a 500° sizzling plate."

WTF? They can fuck the fuck off with that bullshit!

I don't get expensive steakhouses. I like steak. I like eating steak out. But its the simplest thing to cook. If I'm eating something expensive out I want it to be something that's a pain in the arse to cook.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
"Each steak is prepared just the way Ruth liked it: seared to perfection in an 1800° custom broiler, finished with butter, fresh parsley, then served on a 500° sizzling plate."

WTF? They can fuck the fuck off with that bullshit!

I don't get expensive steakhouses. I like steak. I like eating steak out. But its the simplest thing to cook. If I'm eating something expensive out I want it to be something that's a pain in the arse to cook.

I typically grill my own steaks, but this time, I didn't have to cook it, only had to eat it. Delicious doesn't do what I ate justice. Expensive steak houses have a place, not an everyday place, but a place. I would definitely go again.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I typically grill my own steaks, but this time, I didn't have to cook it, only had to eat it. Delicious doesn't do what I ate justice. Expensive steak houses have a place, not an everyday place, but a place. I would definitely go again.
idk what costco has now but they often has gift cards for a discount to ruth criss. i enjoy smoking all my meats or sui vide then smoke / grill

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I typically grill my own steaks, but this time, I didn't have to cook it, only had to eat it. Delicious doesn't do what I ate justice.

I see the attraction of someone else cooking (and particularly cleaning up after) but I'd rather it was something that takes ages to cook and uses every pan in the kitchen!

Expensive steak houses have a place, not an everyday place, but a place. I would definitely go again.
Good steak and good wine is great!

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've only been to it once and i agree, those steaks were immaculate , absolutely drowned in butter when cooked, the most tender aged steaks i've ever eaten.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I see the attraction of someone else cooking (and particularly cleaning up after) but I'd rather it was something that takes ages to cook and uses every pan in the kitchen!

Good steak and good wine is great!

Agreed. Overall, we had fun. Lots of wine and steak indeed.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I've only been to it once and i agree, those steaks were immaculate , absolutely drowned in butter when cooked, the most tender aged steaks i've ever eaten.

Yea, it's really inspired me to look for really great cuts and finish them like I what i ate last night. I've rarely done the butter, but when I did it came out tasting nice. However, the steak I ate yesterday, I wont find at Costco that's for sure. I'm gonna have to find a really good butcher here in town.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yea, it's really inspired me to look for really great cuts and finish them like I what i ate last night. I've rarely done the butter, but when I did it came out tasting nice. However, the steak I ate yesterday, I wont find at Costco that's for sure. I'm gonna have to find a really good butcher here in town.
Its worth finding a good butcher! Do it!

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Don't serve your steaks on a 260°C plate though!
Yeah that was a bit weird, the plates were cooking the cuts of steak i had...absolutely delicious though.....server said something about them being imported from the states and being a AAAA cut and dry aged for 30+ days or something like that (could be marketing blah blah)

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah that was a bit weird, the plates were cooking the cuts of steak i had...absolutely delicious though.....server said something about them being imported from the states and being a AAAA cut and dry aged for 30+ days or something like that (could be marketing blah blah)
I think the beef from my local butcher is dry aged for over 24 days, its a standard thing for good beef. Gives it better flavour and texture.

Yeah I can imagine the steak being cooked a perfect rare and ending up medium if you don't eat it quickly on those plates! Also do they provide welding gloves as well because I'm totally going to burn myself on that!

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
But its the simplest thing to cook
It's nearly impossible to get a proper steakhouse sear in a home kitchen, you just don't have equipment that gets hot enough (unless you're fairly wealthy and specifically bought a nice infrared grill or similar)

I like good steaks too, I've bought and grilled at home USDA prime steaks, A5 wagyu imported from japan, american Wagyu, etc. But it's still something else to have it at a proper steakhouse that has the equipment to do it right.

You can still make an amazing steak at home, don't get me wrong. But a steakhouse has it's place.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's nearly impossible to get a proper steakhouse sear in a home kitchen, you just don't have equipment that gets hot enough (unless you're fairly wealthy and specifically bought a nice infrared grill or similar)

Charcoal gets nearly hot enough to melt steel!

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Charcoal gets nearly hot enough to melt steel!
Yes but without radiant heat (infrared grilling) you can very easily end up with hotspots and an uneven sear. It CAN be done well with someone who knows what they're doing, but infrared grills really make a significant difference in consistency without needing to spend a large amount of time learning to do it over charcoal.

Just like traditional japanese rice cooking methods CAN produce better results than a rice cooker when prepared by a chef that spent years specifically learning how to cook rice this way. Or you just get yourself a nice zojirushi and you get consistent high quality rice every single time with minimal effort.

I wont begrudge a man who likes charcoal, the flavor it provides alone is enough reason to use it, but it's got a higher skill ceiling and it's easier to fuck up your meat if you don't know what you're doing.

And at the end of the day, especially when we're talking about potentially $40-75+ steaks (wholesale wagyu), i'm not against paying ~2x that for it to be done at a steakhouse where i'm not having to do any of the work and if it's not done correctly, I can just send it back.

Reactions: Pohemi

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ruth Chris is pretty good. I wouldn't pay to eat it but if someone was buying, I wouldn't turn it down.

The only time I eat at steakhouses anymore is when I'm traveling. But when I'm at home, I prefer to grill steaks at home. Just too many advantages cooking at home vs eating at generic chain steakhouse.

Reactions: Pohemi

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I like good steaks too, I've bought and grilled at home USDA prime steaks, A5 wagyu imported from japan, american Wagyu, etc. But it's still something else to have it at a proper steakhouse that has the equipment to do it right.

You can still make an amazing steak at home, don't get me wrong. But a steakhouse has it's place.
Steakhouse sear is overrated. You can get great searing at home using lump charcoal. And I prefer the taste of steak cooked on lump from start to finish over steakhouse infrared grill and broiler cooked steak.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
High end steakhouses are definitely an experience. And life is about experiences and enjoying/sharing great food with family and friends. I still remember my first dining experience at fancy steakhouse. My cousin took me to Chops & Lobster Bar in Atlanta. It was great experience, and something I still remember. You always remember your first.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante
Feb 4, 2009
Went there once for a work award thing. Real good food, highly recommend it as a “special dinner” place provided you are not an AT Baller earning $350k plus per year.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Wife and I took our daughter out for her birthday. Worth every penny for the experience.

I thought I had Prime Filet, but never like what I had last night. I think I might want to try out other high end steak houses now.

I've cooked steak @ home that was every bit as good as the $250 20oz filet's I used to think were "cool" to spring for back when I worked in NYC. (this was in the 1980's too ... I hate to think what they must cost these days!)

51% of this involves starting with the right cut of meat, BUT the remaining 49% is all in the prep. (well-seasoned cast iron & 500f + broiler ftw)

Reactions: pauldun170

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
I've never eaten as Ruth's Chris, but I have had the privilege of having meals at a couple of Michelin listed restaurants - one with three stars. You're paying for service more than anything else at restaurants like that, but the food really is genuinely extraordinary. The meat course at the three star restaurant (Alleno Paris) remains the best thing I've ever eaten. It *is* an indulgence, but it's an experience I don't regret.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Alton Brown did an episode where he cooked a steak over a chimney starter to replicate the steak house sear

It's his technique I use with the cast iron pan/broiler cooking method. (which also produces a delicious sear... AND a butt-ton of smoke!)

At one point in my life I came to the realization that I was unlikely to ever be rich enough to have a chef on-staff full time, so if I wanted to eat fantastic cooking "on the regular" I had to learn to do it for myself!

Expensive steak houses have a place, not an everyday place, but a place. I would definitely go again.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Ruth Criss is the McDonalds of "expensive" steak houses.... not saying its bad by any means but it's nothing special. (barely better than Outback and inferior to Texas Roadhouse for the price... Chucks for example shamed them)

Last edited: