Russian bombers flew undected over Arctic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Meuge
I am not aware of more than several SU-37s, but the SU-30K, which also packs thrust vectoring and advanced avionics, and which has been produced in numbers, has been recognized as the best fighter at the moment.
Its generally recognized that the SU-30 is behind both the Eurofighter and the Rafale, at least as far as air to air combat is concerned, as well as the F-22. You can also make the case that the Swedish Gripen has the edge over the SU-30 in pure air to air combat, although this one is certainly debatable.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
A forward-looking point-type emitter radar is a lighthouse. You turn it on - you've painted yourself. These engagements were again conducted in the presence of external radar, without a doubt.
A key point about AESA radar is its FAR harder to detect it and determine its source, so your point is not true. Of course this brings up important detail that US F-22s will have AWACS support for a large portion of their missions. Russia has AWACS aircraft now as well, although not as good as the US, but the F-22 is practically ideal for sneaking up on Russian AWACS aircraft and taking them out without being sucessfully intercepted.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Russia has the ability to create a stealth aircraft.
The question is do they have the money to make one.
It's not as rich as you think.
They have wonderful tech and wonderful weapons, but they don't mass produce most of their amazing stuff.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: K1052
That's ok, even if true (which is suspect since there is no source besides the Russian military).

I don't think Russia's under-funded decrepit ass warning system could tell if we launched our entire Minuteman III inventory at them. Even then I'd lay good odds that most of their ICBM fleet hasn't been maintained properly and would never get out of their silos.
I really don't understand how after so much historical evidence to the contrary, people still underestimate Russian military capability. You've bought into the hype. There is a reason why the top military experts have rated Russian aircraft at being far superior to their American counterparts... and why american soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan if they ever encounter a Russian-made AK, will usually keep it as a primary weapon, if their superiors allow them.

Both are wrong. Russian hardware is sh1t compared to ours, and our GI's dont swap AR's for Ak's.

In the hand they sure as hell would, AK's easy to maintain while less accurate, M16s are very likely to jam, difficult to clean and maintain in the sand.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Low observability is built into the Tu-160, just as it was in the B-1B program. They are big but they are built to minimize obvious radar reflections from the engines and wing sections. You also have to remember that they intend to drop their missiles 2,000 miles out, meaning they never had to get close to U.S. territories to claim penetration of the American airspace. I have a feeling the claims are going to turn out to be rather dubious in the end.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Both are wrong. Russian hardware is sh1t compared to ours, and our GI's dont swap AR's for Ak's.

Don't tell that to the GI's over in Iraq. Its common knowledge they've been used by our men.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't believe everything the Russians tell you. Actually, don't believe anything the Russians tell you.

If this was of any consequence to US intrests, we'd have responded. Apparently, it wasn't

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
According to sources it is the airliners from Russia that moved Sadam's weapons of mass destruction.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
It wasn't Russian airliners until they reached Syria, it was their diplomatic convoy composed mainly of their pre-planted cell of spetsialnoye naznachenie from within their own embassy and a secondary group from the KGB and military. The sleepers came out of the woodwork upon the arrival of a vysotnikis from Russia's 103rd guards, a highly specialized group for trafficking sensitive cargoes. (These people are infamous for their gun running throughout Africa.) Everything was packed into trucks and sped off across the western border to a secure redevous point near Deir el-al Zeur, a Syria location. Civilian chartered flights moved them to Sverdlovsk and Ufa, within Russia. The US knew what was happening and could do nothing to force Turkey to intercept them as they overflew the Turkish airspace. This is common knowledge within some european journalist circles and the US military. The US retaliated by killing the Russian mastermind in an airstrike, and the story was later kept under wraps by the untimely death of two Serbian journalists in Belgrade. It may have been the Russians, it may have been us. It doesn't matter who killed them. Neither the US or Russia gained anything if it got too public, so its best left quietly alone.

Grimner

Nov 12, 1999
That article lacks too much detail. If the Russians were able to sneak right over the North Pole to Canada, there would be some serious celebration in the streets of Moscow.

Far as I know the Tu-160 is a rip-off of the B-1B air-frame (right down to the original fuel leaks), but without even the B-1Bs claim to semi-stealth. It is a long range bomber and that's about it. Lots of pictures.

As for the F-22 vs anything else, we don't know yet, but I suspect the old dog-fight is not on anymore. Given the stealth, range and detection systems (it has got a little more than radar to find you with), your first warning should be a missile homing in on you.
Possibly not even that if there is a corresponding development in missiles.

If you can shoot someone in the back from far away, why on earth should you bother with a "fair" fight?

And in something as big and heavy as the F-22, "fair" could quickly become "unfair" :)

Don't get me wrong, I think the F-22 is great, but it was built on different ideas and concepts from the others - thus it will fight in other ways.
Just knowing one of those things is in the neighbourhood should lower morale considerably :)