Russia to Complete Iran Reactor Despite Snags and US objections

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Russia to Complete Iran Reactor Despite Snags

BERLIN (Reuters) - Russia will finish an atomic reactor in Iran despite technical complications, unresolved commercial issues and strong objections from the United States, a senior official said on Friday.

Sergei Antipov, deputy minister for atomic energy, said strict U.N. controls would ensure no fuel could be diverted to help build a nuclear weapon.

The United States accuses Iran of trying to build an atomic bomb under cover of what Tehran insists is a peaceful nuclear energy program based around the planned $800 million Russian-built reactor at Bushehr.

Antipov said Moscow would supply fuel for the reactor only on condition that spent fuel be returned to it later, although he said the commercial terms for this had not yet been agreed with Iran.

"Definitely, that is our demand. Otherwise we won't supply it," Antipov told Reuters in an interview during a visit to Germany. "The only question that's being discussed in this connection is the question of price."

He said the Iranians argued Moscow should sell the fuel more cheaply in the first place if it was going to take it back at the end of the reactor cycle. "It's a commercial issue, not a defense or technical question."

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
It's times like this when we need the US to have its credibility back. The problem with falsely claiming Iraq was a global threat and brimming with WMDs is that now we have no credibility. There are real threats out there. It is possible to be against the war and yet be still against nuclear proliferation. Who is going to take the US seriously now? Who is the United States to tell Russia not to share technology? The US has lost credibility and respect around the world.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Infohawk
It's times like this when we need the US to have its credibility back. The problem with falsely claiming Iraq was a global threat and brimming with WMDs is that now we have no credibility. There are real threats out there. It is possible to be against the war and yet be still against nuclear proliferation. Who is going to take the US seriously now? Who is the United States to tell Russia not to share technology? The US has lost credibility and respect around the world.
:roll:

Your naive opinion is noted, but I was really hoping for some UN credibility debate here.

;)

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
In related news North Korea Vows Never to Accept US Demands. Yup Iraq was the threat. What a waste of opportunity, goodwill and money not to menion LIVES this farce has been.

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040514125809.99iurser.html

I did find it a little funny that in the days immediately preceding OIF, North Korea was openly developing nuclear weapons and threatening to use them, yet President Bush said it was a "diplomatic matter," unlike Iraq, which we were led to believe posed a clear and present danger. It's hard, perhaps impossible, to argue with a straight face that Iraq posed a greater danger to the US and its allies than, off the top of my head, NK, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Syria, all of whom either have WMDs and hostile intent, and/or are active sponsors of terrorism.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Are they naming it "Osirak II"? There is a good chance it will have the same fate.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Originally posted by: Zebo
In related news North Korea Vows Never to Accept US Demands. Yup Iraq was the threat. What a waste of opportunity, goodwill and money not to menion LIVES this farce has been.

http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040514125809.99iurser.html

I did find it a little funny that in the days immediately preceding OIF, North Korea was opening developing nuclear weapons and threatening to use them, yet President Bush said it was a "diplomatic matter," unlike Iraq, which we were led to believe posed a clear and present danger. It's hard, perhaps impossible, to argue with a straight face that Iraq posed a greater danger to the US and its allies than, off the top of my head, NK, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Jordan or Syria, all of whom either have WMDs and hostile intent, and/or are active sponsors of terrorism.

Most of the supporters of OIF will fall back on their moral argument. That Saddam Hussein was an evil man and that he needed to be gotten rid of. Of course this fails too since there are worse despots in the world. And as you noted North Korea admitted that it was developing WMDs and it threatened USA, but it was not good enough for pre-emptive strike, so the threat angle vaporizes as well.

I always fall back on the "freedom" to mean the freedom of those PNAC racketeers and Big Business carpetbaggers to profit from the criminal deception of the American people and the ruthlessly spent blood of American troops and that of countless Iraqis in order to pursue their highly lucrative world domination schemes. :D

AnImuS

Sep 28, 2001
now once this reactor is nearly built/completed will the US or israel destroy it? either country is easily able to blow it up.

Furthermore, Nk is a higher priority then iraq ever was. dealing with Nk would've been a great example for other countries looking to create nukes.

the US is a disaster.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Iran is paying $800 million for the reactor.

Also, this isn't the reactor we really have to worry about. It's the 50mw heavy water reactor Iran wants to build that's the big problem.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: AnImuS
now once this reactor is nearly built/completed will the US or israel destroy it? either country is easily able to blow it up.

Furthermore, Nk is a higher priority then iraq ever was. dealing with Nk would've been a great example for other countries looking to create nukes.

the US is a disaster.

No one would attack Iran. It would be one huge disaster.

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
Ummm, why would Russia care about US objections when the US does whatever it wants despite the WORLDS objections?

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: klah
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Are they naming it "Osirak II"? There is a good chance it will have the same fate.
delivered by??
The Likud again.

What better way to focus the worlds attention on the evil jewish state, than to build a nuclear powerplant in that neighborhood.

I believe the fate you speak of is a given...

I wonder how Kerry would deal with this sort of scenario?

syf3r

Oct 15, 1999
delivered by??
The Likud again.

What better way to focus the worlds attention on the evil jewish state, than to build a nuclear powerplant in that neighborhood.

So you're saying that the only reason they're building the reactor is because they know israel won't like it, and because they know israel will want to do something about it and, in doing something about it, will look bad? I figured that maybe they were building it because they wanted to be able to step out of the 19th century and be able to generate power. How dare they try to be anything but 3rd world, eh? ;)

/syf3r

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: syf3r

So you're saying that the only reason they're building the reactor is because they know israel won't like it, and because they know israel will want to do something about it and, in doing something about it, will look bad? I figured that maybe they were building it because they wanted to be able to step out of the 19th century and be able to generate power. How dare they try to be anything but 3rd world, eh? ;)

/syf3r

*gasp* next thing you know they'll all want to drive SUVs

syf3r

Oct 15, 1999
yeah, but you know, the straw that breaks the camel's back is going to when they try to get indoor plumbing and forsake their outhouses... I have a feeling that's going to spark the mother of all wars. Indoor plumbing? Electricity? How dare they?

/syf3r

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Judging by how the UN ran the oil for food program and apparently had several people on Saddams payroll. I dont feel so warm and comfortable about the UN making sure no fuel is used to make weapons.