Russia to block youtube

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Should be blocked everywhere.

If you can't find worthwhile content on YouTube its basically on you at this point.

As soon as i somehow land on a link like that i have to go into my history and delete it, the 'not interested'/'do not recommend' option doesn't seem to work well enough on it's own. If you can keep your history 'clean' then the results are usually quite good. I've found many great new music artists this way.

"Don't recommend channel" has worked well for me. Once I do that I don't see their stuff any more at all. And yeah, sometimes if you click a random video of something you don't normally watch you'll probably have to remove it from your history and hit "Not interested" and "Tell us why" then "I don't like the video" it'll adjust. Which I tend to open videos that I wouldn't normally watch in a private browser window/tab just to help with that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think people underestimate how smart Russians are. They will figure out a way around this, I promise.

Reactions: KMFJD

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
You know, there used to be a time in which one learned a ton about working on (fill in the blank) by reading a book about repairing said (fill in the blank). You know, like Haynes/Chilton/factory service manuals for vehicles…like where all those utubers learned their info…reading and experience.

Granted, it’s easier to watch a utube vid, but how many crappy ones do you have to watch to ensure vital steps on this or that repair aren’t left out? Sorta why I still reach for a repair manual when I can. Seen too much bs on utube to keep wading thru that shit just to discover the appropriate info was right there on a shelf.
All true, I buy a Hayne's for every vehicle I've ever driven and yea, there certianly are some horrid hack-jobs uploaded but if you stick to a quality real shop owner, (such as South Main Auto) you can see repairs done properly.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Americans are trained from birth to believe uncritically because if people could think the economy would collapse. Just look at all the things you want to have because you don’t have a real self.

Please don’t be mad. I don’t have a real self either. I just taught myself how to think long ago but I never do. I learned how not to take myself too seriously thinking or stupid since control over it wasn’t an option.

When the ego doesn’t like itself it, it demands that you change. So to try to is just more ego trap. Think carefully about this and you will come to the end of thinking. Thinking is fear, ego fear.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Americans are trained from birth to believe uncritically because if people could think the economy would collapse. Just look at all the things you want to have because you don’t have a real self.

Please don’t be mad. I don’t have a real self either. I just taught myself how to think long ago but I never do. I learned how not to take myself too seriously thinking or stupid since control over it wasn’t an option.

When the ego doesn’t like itself it, it demands that you change. So to try to is just more ego trap. Think carefully about this and you will come to the end of thinking. Thinking is fear, ego fear.
I'll have to chew on that. But Einstein said something concerning learning being about learning how to think, not master the herding and maintenance of factual information. There are different kinds of thinking. It's here:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'll have to chew on that. But Einstein said something concerning learning being about learning how to think, not master the herding and maintenance of factual information. There are different kinds of thinking. It's here:

I would say that the kind of thinking Einstein was engaged in was problem focused. The kink of thinking I was referring to might be similar but existential focused. What is the meaning of life. Is there a mental state that puts to bed doubt fear and insecurity. Can one be happy without belief in lies. Is there truth that is absolute, perhaps something called enlightenment.

These are things that are the result of questioning what we have been taught, not unlike noticing there is something amiss in the Newtonian analysis of the orbit of Mercury, or what makes people despair.

Commonalities I see are a curiosity or dissatisfaction with all the know answers, that they can’t actually end the need to quest. Once one abandons the known as satisfactory, a new potential opens up. One begins a journey of discovery with a fresh outlook. This is difficult when what one was taught to believe is sacred and must never be questioned.

This is where all one tells oneself to stay in that box consists of thought generated by fear.

At this point all of the factual knowledge one has acquired and will learn driven by the need to know may form the foundation of inspiration, a sudden realization, a connection of things that one never imagined, an intuitive leap produced, I suspect, in a non linguistic part of the brain that leaks through to the conscious mind in revert or even in sleep, or at times of tremendous shifts in mental concentration. Those Eureka type moments.

A few years ago I was working on fixing up my house and would focus on some sort of problem, like how I was going to hang heavy cabinets by myself on the wall. I would focus on the problem and go to sleep and wake the next day with the answer. Naturally, for me it helps keeping my problems simple. :).

So I would say that learning to think involves unlearning what we think thinking is. Real thinking leads one into the wilderness, the unknown, the collapse of unconscious assumptions. I think it is as much feeling as thought, allowing something within us to happen we were warned was dangerous to express. Perhaps that is where dissatisfaction or deep curiosity come into play, some inner drive that burns.

One problem I believe is assuming we know the truth or that we can know it by ordinary means. I think this is what is meant in Zen by “Before mountains were mountains but with exposure to Zen mountains weren’t mountains any more, but with enlightenment mountains are just mountains again.” That’s just my words for it, not a quote from whoever it was that spoke of mountains.

Edit: not too far off:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Uh, so can we block youtube channels that originate in Russia? That might help a bit...
Can we keep the Russian traffic cams. They are crazy entertaining.

Seriously, I hope Twitter follows suit so Putin tries to ban them as well

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Can we keep the Russian traffic cams. They are crazy entertaining.

Seriously, I hope Twitter follows suit so Putin tries to ban them as well
For every turn the west takes to mitigate his psyops efforts Putin takes the whole of Russia one step closer to mirroring NK.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I wish Zuckerberg had the balls to call Russia's bluff, but he doesn’t. Wouldn’t surprise me if he, or someone else from the C-suite its bound for Moscow on a corporate jet already.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You know, there used to be a time in which one learned a ton about working on (fill in the blank) by reading a book about repairing said (fill in the blank). You know, like Haynes/Chilton/factory service manuals for vehicles…like where all those utubers learned their info…reading and experience.

Granted, it’s easier to watch a utube vid, but how many crappy ones do you have to watch to ensure vital steps on this or that repair aren’t left out? Sorta why I still reach for a repair manual when I can. Seen too much bs on utube to keep wading thru that shit just to discover the appropriate info was right there on a shelf.
I like both. I never work on something without the manual, if there is one, but a lot of times actually seeing something helps a lot. I usually watch at an increased speed.

But i also bought the factory manual for my Waverunner and it's shit. I had to lube a bearing, I looked for it for over an hour, read every section of the manual about it, still couldn't find it. Finally watched a YT video about found out it's installed under the main electrical/ECM box, the video also showed that you could move the box without disconnecting anything to get to the fitting. Without the video i would've never been willing to move that box.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I wish Zuckerberg had the balls to call Russia's bluff, but he doesn’t. Wouldn’t surprise me if he, or someone else from the C-suite its bound for Moscow on a corporate jet already.
Capitalism’s achilles heel : capitalism

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Youtube is super useful to me, for work (programming) but even more so for my hobbies (mainly music production). I find a lot of entertaining stuff on there as well.

Unfortunately it's also a breeding ground for misinformation, whether by trolls or grifters, just like Facebook. Anyone with a decent microphone and camera and basic video editing skills can make videos professional enough to fool grandma. "Well, that one video I saw from a doctor said that the Covid vaccines can cause you to grow an extra arm." And who knows, that dude might well have been a real doctor. You can always find one to endorse any type of horseshit, from essential oils to colon cleansing.

Pretty ironic for Russia to block youtube, when they are probably behind some of the misinformation on youtube.

Reactions: Muse

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
We're heading in this direction. "Unwanted" info is already being deleted in most social platforms here in the USA.

First they deleted info because it was deemed fake. I cheered because I also thought it was fake.
Then they deleted more info because more people deemed it as fake, but I cheered because I also though it was fake.
Then they deleted my info because they thought it was fake, but no one cheered for me.

Just sayin'

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
We're heading in this direction. "Unwanted" info is already being deleted in most social platforms here in the USA.

First they deleted info because it was deemed fake. I cheered because I also thought it was fake.
Then they deleted more info because more people deemed it as fake, but I cheered because I also though it was fake.
Then they deleted my info because they thought it was fake, but no one cheered for me.

Just sayin'

Well, there's always a line. Yelling fire in the middle of Central Park and people will furrow their eyebrows and realize you are a loon. Yell fire in the proverbial crowded theater, and people will bolt and then treat you rather unkindly if you are dumb enough to stick around.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Just sayin'
Perhaps if you and others made more of an effort to speak out against the stuff we all know is fake we wouldn't be here

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I gotta think you have things backwards there. Thinking, effective thinking, is the product of real intelligence. And the ability to change is a hallmark of real intelligence. You might mistrust your thinking but that's because you aren't thinking effectively. No reason to beat yourself up.

A few worthy cliches:

If at first you don't succeed try try again.
Go back Jack, do it again.
You fail until you succeed.

There's probably a dozen more...

I figure humans have been wrestling with this since the first one decided to not bother to climb back into his tree. :p

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I gotta think you have things backwards there. Thinking, effective thinking, is the product of real intelligence. And the ability to change is a hallmark of real intelligence. You might mistrust your thinking but that's because you aren't thinking effectively. No reason to beat yourself up.

A few worthy cliches:

If at first you don't succeed try try again.
Go back Jack, do it again.
You fail until you succeed.

There's probably a dozen more...

I figure humans have been wrestling with this since the first one decided to not bother to climb back into his tree. :p

Thought is division, the naming of things to which emotional feelings arise by associations with good and bad experiences. Thought is of the past. Thought is fear. Thought is a product of language. There was a time when humans didn’t speak and a time when nobody did. Do you remember. You can’t remember in words but some say they have experienced a state of oceanic being.

Without thought the notion that something is missing can’t arise. Without thought there is nowhere to go, nothing to become, no illusions of goals. Can thought come to an end. Wouldn’t that be be ego dying. Now there’s a frightening thought.

Last edited: