Russia threatens military response to US missile defence deal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
lol, ohhh noes! The russians might come after us with a regiment of decrepit fighters, a division of rusted tanks, a grip of obsolete submarines, and their ridiculous aircraft carrier.

Well, I don't think this country needs any more enemies right now. Second, Russia might have an aging military, but do we need another war? Another confrontation? Over what? This whole situation is stupid chest thumping.

You're right... we should just let Iran and Pakistan continue to develop the missiles, the sick payloads, AND stop pursuing our own defensive measures... that's the ticket!

:roll:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
Well, I don't think this country needs any more enemies right now. Second, Russia might have an aging military, but do we need another war? Another confrontation? Over what? This whole situation is stupid chest thumping.

You're right... we should just let Iran and Pakistan continue to develop the missiles, the sick payloads, AND stop pursuing our own defensive measures... that's the ticket!

Look at a map before you talk to us about our own defensive measures.
Czech Republic != United States.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Someone go dig up Reagan and send him to Russia to bitchslap Putin and his lapdog(s)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Brovane
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Brovane
Why are the Russians all fired up? According to the Democrats missile Defense systems are useless and do not work. So why do the Russians care if we waste money on a useless defense system? How can a missile defense system that doesn't work undermine European security?

Hey look, it's the resident missile expert again.

Your name calling just further invalidates your arguments.

Why do the Russians care about the US deploying a missile defense system that doesn't work? Hmmm maybe they have better information than you and know that it works.

Well considering your massive and exposed ignorance invalidates yours, I'll take it.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

lol.. you've become just another paulbot who wrongly believes that our key interests and resources end at our own shores.

sad that.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: smack Down
lol, ohhh noes! The russians might come after us with a regiment of decrepit fighters, a division of rusted tanks, a grip of obsolete submarines, and their ridiculous aircraft carrier.

Watch out Russia submarines sunken more vessels in the last decade then the US has in the last 3.
It doesn't count when its their vessels that are sinking though :)

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

lol.. you've become just another paulbot who wrongly believes that our key interests and resources end at our own shores.

sad that.

And you're just another neo-conservative who thinks we can do what we want around the world without creating a lot of hatred, resentment, and desire for vengeance toward the US. It's not only a dangerous, expensive, and failed foreign policy, it makes us less safe at home. And the government quickly tramples on our rights trying to prevent attacks from enemies we create overseas.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

sad that.

Our key interests are not in creating a Cuban missile crisis in Russia's backyard. You would act to make them our enemy over something completely trivial to our interests. I would rather feed you to them than have our coin/blood spilled over this.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

Watch out Russia submarines sunken more vessels in the last decade then the US has in the last 3.

That's because they whored them out. They're still piles of shit that can be found and sunk easily. How many subs have the Sovs lost in total? How many in the last 20 years? How many have we lost?

Remember the Kursk?

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
I really dont know WHY is somebody against such defensive system - it cant hurt anyone.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Rebel44
I really dont know WHY is somebody against such defensive system - it cant hurt anyone.

It changes the balance of power. Nukes depend on mutual destruction. If that symmetry is destroyed, then the party which has the better defensive system can be more offensive. They can do so because they know they won't be hurt as badly.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006

It changes the balance of power. Nukes depend on mutual destruction. If that symmetry is destroyed, then the party which has the better defensive system can be more offensive. They can do so because they know they won't be hurt as badly.

And how can 10 or 20 antimissiles destroy MAD ??? They are usefull only against few ICBMs.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

And how can 10 or 20 antimissiles destroy MAD ??? They are usefull only against few ICBMs.

It's all an arms race. Now it's 10-20. In 20 years?

The Russians have a pathalogical fear of being out-manuevered and left undefended. It happened to them twice (not counting Napoleon) and it cost than 20MM lives each time.

not to mention we are f'ing with their home turf.

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006

The Russians have a pathalogical fear of being out-manuevered and left undefended. It happened to them twice (not counting Napoleon) and it cost than 20MM lives each time.

Czech Republic is NOT their home turf - they occupied this country for more then 20 years...

btw. I live in Czech Republic.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Czech Republic is NOT their home turf - they occupied this country for more then 20 years...

In their eyes it's as much as their home turf as Cuba was ours. It's all about the sphere of influence and the "buffer" states.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
In geopolitical terms, LK is right, it's their "home turf" sphere of influence. I don't understand the need for this push at this time when we really don't need additional problems and/or another obstacle to pushing things through the UN. Maybe there's more to this than what is publically available.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Well, then ... Welcome my friend to The United Hegemonic States of America!

Would you like a little Jesus with that?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

In their eyes it's as much as their home turf as Cuba was ours. It's all about the sphere of influence and the "buffer" states.

Well the Soviets did lose the cold war and the Russians have to be nuts to think the eastern European nations they occupied and oppressed for the better part of half a century would willingly stay in the fold so to speak. That's why every country over there is clamoring for EU and NATO membership.

Unless the Russian military has fallen into such a terrible state of repair that a limited ABM system capable of realistically taking out a few (less than 10) missiles would nullify their nuclear deterrent they have a lot bigger problem on their hands. IMO this is entirely about the erosion of their sphere of influence and their reduced ability to threaten their neighbors into line.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
In geopolitical terms, LK is right, it's their "home turf" sphere of influence. I don't understand the need for this push at this time when we really don't need additional problems and/or another obstacle to pushing things through the UN. Maybe there's more to this than what is publically available.

The Carlyle Group

Rebel44

Jun 19, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Well, then ... Welcome my friend to The United Hegemonic States of America!

Would you like a little Jesus with that?

hahahahahaha

so when USA build their radar in CR we will become 51st state? LOL

I agree with everything K1052 said.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052

Well the Soviets did lose the cold war and the Russians have to be nuts to think the eastern European nations they occupied and oppressed for the better part of half a century would willingly stay in the fold so to speak. That's why every country over there is clamoring for EU and NATO membership.

Unless the Russian military has fallen into such a terrible state of repair that a limited ABM system capable of realistically taking out a few (less than 10) missiles would nullify their nuclear deterrent they have a lot bigger problem on their hands. IMO this is entirely about the erosion of their sphere of influence and their reduced ability to threaten their neighbors into line.

What you aren't getting is that the whole Russian nuclear doctrine was focused around forcing us to concede through using land-based first strikes to take out our land-based missiles, submarine bases, and naval bases, limiting civilian casualties. Our being able to prevent this doctrine forces them to reevaluate their stance.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: K1052

What you aren't getting is that the whole Russian nuclear doctrine was focused around forcing us to concede through using land-based first strikes to take out our land-based missiles, submarine bases, and naval bases, limiting civilian casualties. Our being able to prevent this doctrine forces them to reevaluate their stance.

The Russians still field something like 500 ICBMs with MIRVs and I think about 15% of that is mobile. There is no way the ABM system that is proposed could even come close to countering that so this isn't a major strategy changer and they'll still be free to threaten their close neighbor nations with tactical nuke strikes.

The US/NATO also has far fewer strategic military sites to target due to base realignment and closures since the end of the cold war. Most of the missiles bound for the CONUS would probably go over the pole and be out of reach of the European system anyway.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

10 years ago the system did not function. 10 years from now it'll be expanded and capable of a lot more than "a few" missiles. That is unless the Democrats successfully kill the program, which they have been trying to do since its conception.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
I think what concerns Russia is not the possibility that the missile defense will be able to deter their modern nuclear arsenal (it won't, ever heard of Topol-M? best in its class). They're probably concerned about the fact that those radars in the missile defense will easily cover the whole western airspace of Russia for intelligence information (much more effectively than current NATO radars and/or satellites). This is something they have the right to be concerned about. If US/NATO can cooperate with Russia and ensure them that the missle defense system won't be used to spy on them, while Russia will let them use its Gabala radar right in front of Iran, then the missile defense might work quite well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

10 years ago the system did not function. 10 years from now it'll be expanded and capable of a lot more than "a few" missiles. That is unless the Democrats successfully kill the program, which they have been trying to do since its conception.

No. Not only is that hideously unlikely from a technological standpoint, but it is not even a goal of the system. (do you realize how much money it would cost to protect the US from a large scale missile strike? trillions upon trillions)