Russia Tests New "Stealth" Nuclear Missile

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
With the price of crude skyrocketing, and Russia being the world's second biggest oil exporting country (behind the Saudis), they've been able to pad their defense budget as of late.

We already know McCain's a hawk when it comes to Russia. If he croaks, what's President Palin going to do about this arms race...more tough talk?

Text

Tensions heighten as Russia flexes newfound military muscle.

Upping the ante in the recent geopolitical brinksmanship over Georgia, Poland, and Ukraine, Russia responded by test-firing its new RS-12M nuclear missile.

The test, launched from a point near Moscow, struck a target in Kamchatka nearly 4,000 miles away. Russia and independent observers deemed the test a success.

The RS-12M is an advanced version of the land-based Topol-M. It is a three-stage ICBM with a range of 12,000 km, carries a 550-KT nuclear warhead, and has an unknown number of advanced "stealth" features designed to prevent interception by ABM (anti ballistic missile) defenses. NATO refers to it as the SS-25 Sickle.

It is road-mobile and launchable with little notice from any point during transit, making it essentially immune to first-strike or counter-strike capabilities. In the 1970s, the US attempted to adopt similar technology with the Midgetman program, but Congress ultimately canceled the initiative.

Russia says the RS-12 was designed to evade the new US "Star Wars" defense shield. Such claims have not been independently verified, and few DoD analysts have expressed firm opinions one way or another.

Rising oil prices have allowed Russia to modernize and re-equip its aging military, with its defense budget rising by 30% annually.

The test follows on the heels of a statement by British Foreign Secretary David Milliband that Russia's invasion of Georgia has meant "the end of peace in Europe". Britain canceled a scheduled set of military exercises with Georgia after Russia stated their participation would be declared an "declaration of war".

Russia has also responded to recent events in Poland and Ukraine by noting that both nations may be the target of a future nuclear attack.

Several EU nations, including France and England, are considering sanctions for the acts.

Russia has also been developing new conventional payloads in recent months.
Bonus story: Russia is considering arming Iran with their newest anti-aircraft missile system in response to the US push for Georgian NATO membership.

Text

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Maybe seek the advice of the new VP if McCain would ever croak. What the fuck would Obama do? Sit down and give him a BJ?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Maybe seek the advice of the new VP if McCain would ever croak.
Is that before or after she picks her cabinet members from America's Top Model?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Because its not like cabinet members wouldn't already be in place......

Besides, its Obama who wants to dismantle our weapons defense system.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: winnar111

Well at least you openly subscribe to McBush's policy of escalation.

For every [American] action, there is an equal and opposite [Russian] reaction.

We install "missile defense" sites in Poland, Russia builds new stealth ICBMs.

We threaten to bomb Iran's nuclear sites, Russia threatens to supply them with advanced anti-aircraft missile batteries.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Yes just like the cold war. And just like the cold war it will bankrupt Russia, not the United States.

Good day.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Yes just like the cold war. And just like the cold war it will bankrupt Russia, not the United States.
Good day.
Minor difference; these days, the United States is deeply in debt and Russia is awash in oil money.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

We threaten to bomb Iran's nuclear sites, Russia threatens to supply them with advanced anti-aircraft missile batteries.

Then we build a better missile defense site. Do you think Russia is better than we are?

Edit: Of course you do. You hate our military.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There's no way we'll ever be able to build a missile defense system that can realistically stop a significant number of missiles, especially if Russia builds new countermeasures to the shield. It's a waste of time. Somehow tying this failure to Palin is just plain stupid. You think Obama knows anything more about Russian missiles than Palin? Of course not, they would both rely on advisers to guide them and then make a decision.

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: Genx87
Good day.
Minor difference; these days, the United States is deeply in debt and Russia is awash in oil money.

America has to be careful what it's doing.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
There's no way we'll ever be able to build a missile defense system that can realistically stop a significant number of missiles, especially if Russia builds new countermeasures to the shield. It's a waste of time. Somehow tying this failure to Palin is just plain stupid. You think Obama knows anything more about Russian missiles than Palin? Of course not, they would both rely on advisers to guide them and then make a decision.

Obama's undergrad degree is in foreign relations. I'd say he knows more than a small town Alaska mayor about dealing with Russia.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Of course not, they would both rely on advisers to guide them and then make a decision.
What decision will the lobbyists-turned-advisers in the McSoccermom administration guide them towards?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
...Besides, its Obama who wants to dismantle our weapons defense system.
Then we build a better missile defense site. Do you think an impenetrable missile shield is impractical and unaffordable?
Of course you do. You have a brain.

Fixed it for you.

Irontoes

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: ThrockmortonObama's undergrad degree is in foreign relations. I'd say he knows more than a small town Alaska mayor about dealing with Russia.

Actually she was the governer of a state that "bordered" Russia and was commander-in-chief of the Alaskan National Guard. I would say she might have more experience dealing with Russians.

Liberals fear another cold war because there is a good chance it would put America back on the right track :)

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Irontoes
Originally posted by: ThrockmortonObama's undergrad degree is in foreign relations. I'd say he knows more than a small town Alaska mayor about dealing with Russia.

Actually she was the governer of a state that "bordered" Russia and was commander-in-chief of the Alaskan National Guard. I would say she might have more experience dealing with Russians.

Liberals fear another cold war because there is a good chance it would put America back on the right track :)

Please tell me you aren't serious. There's no one that could be that delusional.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
The technology to attack will always be one step ahead of the technology to defend. Therefore, nothing U.S. and Russia can do to defend from each other's missles.

Irontoes

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
I can be, depends on the discussion going on.

Someone said Obama would give a BJ to the Russians, and another person said Palin would put America's top model in her cabinet. I guess my joke came off too serious. Thought the smiley at the end would be a tip off though.

So, say we do have another Cold War, who do you think would benefit more? Speaking as a politcal party, not the good of the world or anything that big.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Balt
Actually she was the governor of a state that "bordered" Russia and was commander-in-chief of the Alaskan National Guard. I would say she might have more experience dealing with Russians.
Please tell me you aren't serious. There's no one that could be that delusional.
Cindy McCain was trying to sell that line on This Week with George Stephanopoulos this morning. "Governor of the only state that borders Russia..."

edit: stupid typo

Irontoes

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2001
I also constantly see liberals trying to sell the "small town mayor" line. So I guess they are even :)

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I also constantly see liberals trying to sell the "small town mayor" line. So I guess they are even :)
She is governor of a state with about the same population as Memphis, so I guess you'd have to say "medium city mayor" instead.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I can be, depends on the discussion going on.

Someone said Obama would give a BJ to the Russians, and another person said Palin would put America's top model in her cabinet. I guess my joke came off too serious. Thought the smiley at the end would be a tip off though.

So, say we do have another Cold War, who do you think would benefit more? Speaking as a politcal party, not the good of the world or anything that big.

Here's the problem, you think the good of a political party is more important than the good of the country. Pouring trillions of dollars into a new Cold War would be bad for the United States and for Russia. Meanwhile the EU and China will continue to become growing economic powers while we tank our economy further and run up even larger deficits than we already have.

The United States is no longer the hegemonic power on this planet, and our economic competitors will benefit greatly from us wasting time and money on a pissing contest with Russia.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
What is with the sexist comment??

Wonder how people would respond is someone suggested that Obama was going to pick his cabinet from Soul Train.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Then we build a better missile defense site. Do you think an impenetrable missile shield is impractical and unaffordable?

Fixed it for you.

The same was said about putting a man on the moon.

What happened to 'yes, we can!'

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007

Fixed it for you.

We didn't really put a man on the moon...duh!

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Fixed it for you.
The moon didn't change its orbit to evade the lander or deploy decoy moons to try to get us to land on the wrong one.