Russia , should we be concerned ?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I have been hearing more and more that is going on in Russia that I think is cause for concern.

The first was last year when the reports about the Nashi, youth movement came out.

For those not familiar with the organization:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashi_(Ours)

This group of young adults seem to be very similar to the hitler youths.
They are used to breakup unpopular speeches or meetings and many there have said that if your not part of the group that it can make things hard for you as a young person wanting to advance your status.

The second thing of concern is how Russia is embracing the muslim population,
from countries that generally don't like the USA.
I do not have a problem with Islam in general.
I do have concern that Russia may be increasing its population of people that do not like the USA.

But Russia's Muslims population is growing at a much faster rate. Tatars living in Moscow, average six children per woman, while the Chechen and Ingush communities are averaging 10 children per woman. And hundreds of thousands of Muslims from Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan have been flocking to Russia in search of work. Since 1989, Russia's Muslim population has increased by 40 percent to about 25 million and by 2020 will make up a fifth of the population.

The winds of change have started to blow even in Moscow. In the windswept field, next to the Sobornoya Mosque, is to be the location of the city's largest Muslim temple, with a capacity for 5,000 worshipers.

The new mosque is set to open in September 2008 and will be the second largest in Russia (after a mosque in Makhachkala, Daghistan), and Islam's headquarters in one of the largest countries in the world.

Third, the way Russia is making friends with countries that are not friendly to the USA.

Russian president Vladimir Putin and Syrian president Bashar Assad signed a military cooperation agreement that enables Russia to upgrade Syria's military and sell Damascus advanced arms.

Earlier this month, Russia reportedly installed a mobile radar system to protect the Bushehr nuclear reactor, and similar systems allegedly are in the works for other Iranian nuclear facilities, with a site in central Iran being fitted for the system. The portable units are designed to detect low, medium and high altitude incoming missiles, and would complicate any attack on Iran's nuclear facilities.

Do you think we have turned a blind eye to Russia, thinking that since the USSR fell that they are a poor, downtrodden country, with no eyes on prior goals ?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Topic Title: Russia , should we be concerned ?

I have been hearing more and more that is going on in Russia that I think is cause for concern.

The first was last year when the reports about the Nashi, youth movement came out.

Do you think we have turned a blind eye to Russia, thinking that since the USSR fell that they are a poor, downtrodden country, with no eyes on prior goals ?
[/quote]

I would be more worried about the corporate take over of America.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Yes, we need to be afraid of Russia, Syria, Iran, and almost every other country, because we have failed them.

The USA used to be a beacon of hope and faith, that power could be embedded with people. That government be accountable to us, rather than us accountable to government. Not only is this being lost for us, but the example, that hope and that faith, have become lost for people everywhere. We are headed toward a world where the political equivalent of God no longer exists, and hope and faith are being tossed overboard. If we can save ourselves again, we will inevitably save the world with us. And if we destroy ourselves, we will also destroy the world as well.

Should we fear Russia? Not as much as we should fear ourselves. Our fear is not that we are powerless, but our fear is that we are powerful. The responsibility is ours'. Once there is peace in our home, there will be peace everywhere.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Modelworks

I think we should be worried about any country where an ethnic group AVERAGES 10 children per woman. Spiraling poverty, discrimination, and religion are not a happy mixture.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: bamacre
Yes, we need to be afraid of Russia, Syria, Iran, and almost every other country, because we have failed them.

The USA used to be a beacon of hope and faith, that power could be embedded with people. That government be accountable to us, rather than us accountable to government. Not only is this being lost for us, but the example, that hope and that faith, have become lost for people everywhere. We are headed toward a world where the political equivalent of God no longer exists, and hope and faith are being tossed overboard. If we can save ourselves again, we will inevitably save the world with us. And if we destroy ourselves, we will also destroy the world as well.

Should we fear Russia? Not as much as we should fear ourselves. Our fear is not that we are powerless, but our fear is that we are powerful. The responsibility is ours'. Once there is peace in our home, there will be peace everywhere.

Um, when exactly did this utopia of democracy and government accountability exist?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Um, when exactly did this utopia of democracy and government accountability exist?

Help me please find the word "utopia" in my post.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I think that you're falling for a lot of the European propaganda regarding Russia. Sure, it's not a great situation, but Europe's energy concerns make it beneficial to them to demonize Russia and get people on their side.

All of the points you claim as a source of your concern are much more pronounced in Western European countries such as France or Germany.

This group of young adults seem to be very similar to the hitler youths.
They are used to breakup unpopular speeches or meetings and many there have said that if your not part of the group that it can make things hard for you as a young person wanting to advance your status.

Groups similar to Hitler Youths? Ultra far-right supremacist groups are extremely popular all over Europe nowadays, either in politics or other areas such as sports.

It is extremely hard as well to advance your status in Europe if you are not a member of a group, too, with that group being the majority race. Minorities have it extremely tough in Europe.

I do have concern that Russia may be increasing its population of people that do not like the USA.

Population shifts? The same thing is said of several European countries, especially France.

Third, the way Russia is making friends with countries that are not friendly to the USA.

Several European countries are not only friends with countries unfriendly to the USA, but also bankroll them, including Syria, Iran, and others. France campaigned hard to lift the EU arms embargo on China (even though many European companies get by it), some sell to Venezuela, etc.

Open your eyes.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
for some reason i thought Russians were very anti-foreigners. That they had violent gangs beating up foreigners. I would think the first thing takes on the second thing in the OP's post.

The third thing, Russia has always tried to maintain its arms sales. They maintain strong contacts with countries that are not friendly to the US because they are usually big customers. anti-US countries usually cannot buy arms from US or its European allies so they buy it from Russia which has a pretty good military industry. The Russians aren't selling the arms with the intention of having them take on the US. They are selling arms to them to make a living.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Help me please find the word "utopia" in my post.

I used the word utopia because the bolded part of your post references the ideals set out for the government of this country. However this has never been really true - a fundamental understanding of government and distribution of power would tell you that the government has never really been accountable to the people (unless you count elections, which is a dubious exception for several reasons). I do however like the part about how hope and faith is being lost - as economic disparity widens and a permanent economic underclass grows, we'll find that we're no longer all sharing the same hope or vision about what is possible in this country - the American Dream will be no more. To me that is scary. Not so much because the 'dream' itself will be gone, but because people's perception of it will be. Crime, fundamentalism, and unrest will result.

I can't really disagree with your last statement about how if there is peace at home, there will be peace elsewhere. To me there's no direct correlation, but rather that human nature will have changed to reach the former, and the latter should therefore follow. I know I'm too cynical and leftist and all that, but that's all why I was skeptical of your characterization.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Nuke 'em and let God sort 'em out.