Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 1006 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Coz those survivors didn't fight. They ran.

actually, if you read the wiki, they weren't even there.

Looks like all the best sources and reporting (including the Russians on the ground and not the propaganda wing) show that Wagner stayed back at base and never participated directly in the fighting. Apparently ~15 of them were actually killed due to artillery strikes on the base.

lol

what a fucking medal those assclowns got.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
actually, if you read the wiki, they weren't even there.

Looks like all the best sources and reporting (including the Russians on the ground and not the propaganda wing) show that Wagner stayed back at base and never participated directly in the fighting. Apparently ~15 of them were actually killed due to artillery strikes on the base.

lol

what a fucking medal those assclowns got.
Vaguely I remember an interview with some member of wagner who was there and he explained what happened - something about 'testing' the american and something about not shooting in hope the americans would cease firing. In any event they something along the lines it was a mistake ;)

From the interview i got the impression it was more than 15 wagner but no clue how many; in any event it is scary how much more potent american arms than Russian - i think the problem with most modern war is finding the enemy (ala afghanistan); which makes the entire Ukraine war very unique than many conflicts the last 60 or so years. Not sure if this is a Terrain thing or whatever. Certain Vietnam and Afghanistan were more ambush and merge with general population type of conflicts - of course in Ukraine russia has no problem butchering the general population.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Certain Vietnam and Afghanistan were more ambush and merge with general population type of conflicts - of course in Ukraine russia has no problem butchering the general population.
Russia doesn't have limits via public opinions. Free media is a powerful constraint on the ruling class.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Vaguely I remember an interview with some member of wagner who was there and he explained what happened - something about 'testing' the american and something about not shooting in hope the americans would cease firing. In any event they something along the lines it was a mistake ;)

From the interview i got the impression it was more than 15 wagner but no clue how many; in any event it is scary how much more potent american arms than Russian - i think the problem with most modern war is finding the enemy (ala afghanistan); which makes the entire Ukraine war very unique than many conflicts the last 60 or so years. Not sure if this is a Terrain thing or whatever. Certain Vietnam and Afghanistan were more ambush and merge with general population type of conflicts - of course in Ukraine russia has no problem butchering the general population.

About 300 got pulped, and they tested us by trying to position vehicles and weapons within range on the sly. Never got to do much, but their advance was done full well with the knowledge they were advancing on American positions. Our guys monitored them talking about it for sometime; no surprise assault there, more like Taco Tuesday, birria. Get some.
It's not just better weapon systems, it's combined arms warfare, coordination. Those drunk goatfucks were getting pounded by mortars, drones, gunships, artillery, I think a Spectre was there? More or less all at once. IIRC their immediate escape via foot bridge was removed just after the assault started, trapping them in a kill box we had pre targeted weeks prior. Some swimming involved I bet.

And my friend here mourned their plight...

ohtehnoes.PNG

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
They will not. More likely they would try to seize control in Russia.
They already took some land in Russia.
LeadPhoto.jpg

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
At this point it'd be easier to shoot down his personal plane while it's in the air. No one but Belarus would give a shit and they're nobodies. Xi would be happy but quickly realize the entire world would do the same to him. Threaten nukes as much as you want but no one has the balls to do engage them.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Russian MoD says they’ve intercepted a GLSDB for the first time.

Could be true but I doubt we'll know for sure. They're slower than standard HIMARS loads so it's not a crazy notion. Not like they have much in the way of credibility though right?

What I want to know is what expensive missile(s) did they use to supposedly take out that $40k gift to Ukraine? Show us some of this Russian math, MoD.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Ukraine is going to create maximum misdirection over the next couple months about when and where their next moves are. It is also his responsibility to ask for more military aid.

This is my thought. The misdirection last year worked so well, they're definitely going to do it again. And you'll never hear Zelensky say they have enough military aid until the invaders scurry back to where they came from. And he's right.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This is my thought. The misdirection last year worked so well, they're definitely going to do it again. And you'll never hear Zelensky say they have enough military aid until the invaders scurry back to where they came from. And he's right.
Attacking deeply entrenched positions can favor the defenders. Just ask the Russians! Despite their heroics (I do not say this lightly) the Ukrainians cannot afford to lose overwhelming numbers of troops.

Last year, they advanced where the Russkies were laughably weak. It was brilliant! But . . . it may be harder to duplicate last year's relatively easy successes.

Reactions: Jaskalas

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Attacking deeply entrenched positions can favor the defenders. Just ask the Russians! Despite their heroics (I do not say this lightly) the Ukrainians cannot afford to lose overwhelming numbers of troops.

Last year, they advanced where the Russkies were laughably weak. It was brilliant! But . . . it may be harder to duplicate last year's relatively easy successes.

Ukraine watched the Russians driving armor into fields full of mines and sending waves of poorly equipped troops to assault strongpoints. I'm guessing they will not make the same mistakes.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Ukraine watched the Russians driving armor into fields full of mines and sending waves of poorly equipped troops to assault strongpoints. I'm guessing they will not make the same mistakes.
I'm guessing that, besides the superior tactics and the indispensable motivation of folks fighting for the life of their nation, our "eyes in the sky" and comm intercepts intelligence are helping them greatly. Slava Ukraini!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm guessing that, besides the superior tactics and the indispensable motivation of folks fighting for the life of their nation, our "eyes in the sky" and comm intercepts intelligence are helping them greatly. Slava Ukraini!

The AFU has an enormous amount of drones (of all kinds/sizes) at their disposal now, both native made and purchased from abroad. Not only that but they are taken very seriously as a part of their tactical operations. Intercepts of Russian communications show they are openly envious both of the material and angry their own command does not act similarly.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
ssWBJ0F.jpeg

It's amazing how much that place sucks. Damn I feel bad for that guy. I'm all for charging parents when their kids shoot people, but a kid's drawing?

Broken bones usually follow super thin skin. The end is near Putler. I feel like a couple more defeats at the hands of the AFU and you just might have an unfortunate medicine mix up or procedure snafu. I hope it doesn't take 2 years and that this poor dad gets his daughter back asap.