Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 934 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
they probably do, but as brovane said it isnt publicly available yet.

i posted yt vid a while back where a wartechtuber paid for the at the time current sat photos of all the rus storage yards and hand counted all the remaining vehicles vs sat images from a year or two earlier. the raw count was roughly 40% of the afv were gone from the yards. if you assume that those were the ones able to be mobilized and that a good percentage were in disrepair the remaining usable vehicles is probably half. so 10k (before the war) - 4k sent to UKR = 6k -(however many have been raided for parts or rusted out ~50%) = 3k. [we have very little idea of how many are modernish t72 t80 t90 vs cold war era t62 t64 or ww2 era antiques]

someone posted images of rus tanks being prepped for the war showing t72's and t80's refitted with older gen1 thermal sights, suggesting that rus doesnt have enough of the modern gen 2 sights. if we see t62 with thermal sights upgrades then it is pretty safe to say rus is unlikely to be able to rebuild their forces to modern standards for 2023.
if sanctions are maintained and continue to hit hard it is unlikely there will be enough blackmarket backdoors/strawman purchases for rus manufacturers to get the high tech parts needed to build modern thermal sighted fire control systems that give the gunner and tank commander separate sights. miltary grade thermal sight parts cant have a huge market and any foreign customer ordering the numbers that rus would need is going to attract attention. the export controls arent as lax as the lawnmower engines in the iranian kamikaze drones.
New Gen2 sights were converted to rubles and paid for some General's Dacha. Also from sat photos, Russian tank refurbishment yards/factories have shown a dramatic decrease in activity over the past year. There is a reason Putin loyalists are clamoring for the repatriation of the Russian oligarchs wealth (well, except theirs).

Reactions: Leeea

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
German government has approved export of Leopard 1 from industry stocks to Ukraine. Generally people think there are about 200 of these in a near-ish to ready state (able to be provided over a few months) between Rheinmetall and KMW.

Total size of the mothballed Leo 1 stock is unknown but thought to be well into the hundreds of tanks but those would need longer to be serviceable.

Ukraine certainly would like another 15 Gepards too.

Leo1's?
what happened to Leo2's?

now we're adding another MBT in ukr's inventory.
and this one has even bigger supply chain problems since it's obsolete.
is brazil the only country that still makes ammo for it?

Reactions: RnR_au and Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Leo1's?
what happened to Leo2's?

They're still getting 2A6s from German army stock. Somebody, probably either Ukraine itself or a donor country, is buying these.

now we're adding another MBT in ukr's inventory.
and this one has even bigger supply chain problems since it's obsolete.

Yes, but in this case if they can obtain hundreds of units its worth it. The global spares inventory for Leopard 1s is untouched while replacement parts (and 125mm ammo) for T series tanks are getting harder to come by.

is brazil the only country that still makes ammo for it?

Not even close. Countries like Brazil, Greece, Turkey, etc who still keep active Leopard 1s just have the largest 105mm stockpiles. The L7 gun and its derivatives are still very widely used globally. 105mm tank rounds can be found in the current catalogs of many major munitions manufactures including General Dynamics (US), Nexter (France), POF (Pakistan), Poongsan (SK), etc.

Reactions: RnR_au and Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
A detailed video to explain the current situation in Bakhmut, and Ukrainian plans to step back as needed.
The battle inside the city's eastern edge is ongoing, as are Russian attempts to encircle the city.
Ukraine believes the heavily fortified city is a good way to bleed the Russians out, and HIMAR support is crucial in preventing the Russians from heavy bombardment of every square meter. Ukraine keeps hitting Russian ammo supplies creating logistical problems on the front line.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Someone I work with, and also a few people on XBox that I started playing BF 2042 with in the last two months, all males in their twenties and early thirties, two are Canadian, the other three American, all spout some right wing stuff (biden caused gas prices to rise, inflation, etc...) but also think supplying Ukraine with arms is a dastardly thing to do and a terrible move, they refuse to acknowledge Putin is a threat to anything. The person I work with I've known professionally for 6 years, the other guys I've been playing regularly with for two months. I had to try to convince them that there is nothing good about Putin, both world wars started in Europe with unchecked aggression by megalomaniac dictators like Putin, and while the US has gotten its hands dirty overseas many times, actually defending a Western democracy from a guy like Putin was 100% the good and right thing to do. All because Trump had a hardon for Putin.

The right wing has melted the minds of so many it's disturbing.

Randomly, I also played BF with this other group of guys just for one night, they were all so right wing too - nothing they said made sense or was based in reality. One guy kept saying he wanted to just drop a Trump bomb of 'I don't give a fuck about anything' on people that were killing him in game.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Someone I work with, and also a few people on XBox that I started playing BF 2042 with in the last two months, all males in their twenties and early thirties, two are Canadian, the other three American, all spout some right wing stuff (biden caused gas prices to rise, inflation, etc...) but also think supplying Ukraine with arms is a dastardly thing to do and a terrible move, they refuse to acknowledge Putin is a threat to anything. The person I work with I've known professionally for 6 years, the other guys I've been playing regularly with for two months. I had to try to convince them that there is nothing good about Putin, both world wars started in Europe with unchecked aggression by megalomaniac dictators like Putin, and while the US has gotten its hands dirty overseas many times, actually defending a Western democracy from a guy like Putin was 100% the good and right thing to do. All because Trump had a hardon for Putin.

Randomly, I also played BF with this other group of guys just for one night, they were all so right wing too - nothing they said made sense or was based in reality. One guy kept saying he wanted to just drop a Trump bomb of 'I don't give a fuck about anything' on people that were killing him in game.

I mean a lot of gamer culture, especially in that genre, is kind of a notorious cesspool of little shitbags.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007

Trolling BF chat with trump humping bullshit is still a great past time 🤣

Reactions: KMFJD and zinfamous

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Besides GLSDB the article mentions equipment for connecting all the air defense systems Ukraine has received. I assume this means making link 16 usable in their C2 framework and likely some bespoke interfaces for integrating the non-compatible and potentially legacy stuff. The more they can use everything together the more effective their response can be.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Not even the Turks want MiGs now

Partially why:

Jul 27, 2020
One guy kept saying he wanted to just drop a Trump bomb of 'I don't give a fuck about anything' on people that were killing him in game.
I think it's pretty safe to say that people are who they follow. So you've been playing with a bunch of mentally challenged dudes who have rape fantasies (or probably even involved in some), ejaculate prematurely and need to kill in order to compensate for their tiny dicks :D

You have TONS of patience for fools. I know that now. Me, I need to exit immediately to avoid the hypertension damaging my capillaries in the company of such people.

Reactions: Leeea

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Interesting..

View attachment 75845

Not sure if this will work but yep, that's one way to do it.

I personally think Turkey will just buy MiGs
Yea i was wondering why it took them so long to consider this.... and with the performance of russian's military equipment in Ukraine who would want them....

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Partially why:

greece ordering france's rafale fighters too?

i guess they dont want all their eggs in one basket (ie: just usa fighters) at the cost of adding complexity to their supply chain.

why does turkey care what fighters greece orders?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

My takeaway here is that you and I live extremely different lives. ;) :D

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11 and Bitek

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Gesturing towards a T-72B3, covered in dry leaves, and bearing evidence of battle in the form of warped and battered armour, Anatoly proudly boasts that it is the most recent upgrade of the old Soviet T-72 tank.

It was brought into the facility, which lies just a few miles from the frontlines, by the 54th brigade from the eastern Donetsk region, four weeks ago. “It took a direct hit on its turret,” says Anatoly. “The firing system was damaged too.”

They plan to get it back on its tracks in swift time, with added armour. There is little time for sentiment. Did Russian soldiers die in it? “I don’t know, I suppose so. There were arms and legs in it. Lots of blood.”

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Key take away: Russia has 320k troops in Ukraine with another 150-200k in Reserve. Russia clearly willing to take massive casualties to take 10m. NATO needs to supply Ukraine with sufficient drones and artillery to counter this or things will get very rough.

I am sick to death of NATO giving Ukraine just enough equipment not to lose. It needs to provide enough equipment for Ukraine drive Russia out of Ukraine.

And if you thought of young russkies fleeing their homeland was a good thing.. you were WRONG!! They are all for the war, they are just saving their own skin.

Have a trip to Egypt or Bali or Thailand to see how they behave. They are now spreading their hate and vitriol to a wider audience.

None should be given asylum in the US!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
A modest supply of M864 DPICM shells preferably with the M1156 PGK fired out of 52 caliber guns would probably take care of it.
This shows just how important PGMs are. With the M1156 PGK screwed into the nose of DPICM rounds - the CEP (circular error probable) goes from 256 meters (at max range) down to 6 meters!!!
Or, from sending hundreds of rounds to destroy a target to one or two.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This shows just how important PGMs are. With the M1156 PGK screwed into the nose of DPICM rounds - the CEP (circular error probable) goes from 256 meters (at max range) down to 6 meters!!!
Or, from sending hundreds of rounds to destroy the target to one or two.

Yeah, it would save a ton of wear and tear on Ukraine's artillery pieces.

Reactions: KMFJD

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
So Germany is going to send a lot of Leopard 1s. Out of idle curiosity, does anyone know if those things are still viable? Aren't they decidedly out-dated by now? If they end up going up against T62s I suppose it might be an even match.