Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 918 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seem to be getting asymptotically closer to the delivery of Leopards. Poland has formally asked Germany to allow it, and the German Greens are in favour, it's only the SPD itself that is still hesitating.

(How did it come about, that the SPD has ended up so emeshed with Putin's Russia?)

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I can't imagine anything other than those or a-10's, we don't really have a lot else they could support at this point right?

A-10 has never been exported. I know it's a different situation now, but would seem to be easier to do F-16 given there might be other sources of support for them that are also closer geographically.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not sure how useful A-10's would be in contested airspace like this.

Their Su-25s are still in the fight running low altitude air support. Also if you wanted to haul a whole lot of say JDAM-ER or standoff range munitions to altitude but need US rails to do it the A-10 likely makes an excellent truck for that.

Reactions: Racan and Leeea

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Not sure how useful A-10's would be in contested airspace like this.
Yeah I'm not convinced either, I just wasn't aware if there was anything other than those two that could reasonably work over there. Like Ukraine isn't going to be flying F22's or 35's for instance, and we don't exactly have a bunch of MIGs laying around.

Reactions: Leeea and fskimospy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Their Su-25s are still in the fight running low altitude air support. Also if you wanted to haul a whole lot of say JDAM-ER or standoff range munitions to altitude but need US rails to do it the A-10 likely makes an excellent truck for that.
I'm sure they would be of SOME use but if memory serves the SU-25 has suffered pretty appalling losses in this war. I know it's not as capable as the A-10 but it's a similar type of aircraft.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm sure they would be of SOME use but if memory serves the SU-25 has suffered pretty appalling losses in this war. I know it's not as capable as the A-10 but it's a similar type of aircraft.

I'd say the role is similar but not the aircraft or munitions that the US has access too. I think bomb truck is going to be a more likely use than CAS though. One A-10 can haul sixteen SDBs to optimal release altitude for maximum range (aprox 80km).

Reactions: Racan and fskimospy

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I'd say the role is similar but not the aircraft or munitions that the US has access too. I think bomb truck is going to be a more likely use than CAS though. One A-10 can haul sixteen SDBs to optimal release altitude for maximum range (aprox 80km).
I would be worried getting that high over Ukraine is a good way to have a S400 sent its way.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
They're great for spotting AA emplacements.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I feel like we should send M1s to Ukraine just to force Germany's hand. Like, they can sit in a warehouse in Lviv or whatever if Ukraine can't use them. We have plenty.

Just drive them around a bit for the cameras to make the Germans feel better.

Though I do suspect Ukraine's tank repair aptitude is a lot higher than most countries we export M1s to. With Poland in the midst of adopting them it shouldn't be too terribly hard to stand up the required infrastructure for heavier repairs.

Reactions: Leeea

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Just drive them around a bit for the cameras to make the Germans feel better.

Though I do suspect Ukraine's tank repair aptitude is a lot higher than most countries we export M1s to. With Poland in the midst of adopting them it shouldn't be too terribly hard to stand up the required infrastructure for heavier repairs.
Have them build up the maintenance yards and infrastructure, then send them on a fiew "field tests"