Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 912 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Man, what do you do that you know all this stuff to this level of detail?

Guessing there is a reason you are in San Diego (iirc)

Respect tho, learned more in this thread than anywhere else.
^^^ My sentiments exactly!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
i can see a middle ground , 1000 bradleys , 100k tows, tanks not needed

I'd rather they have that supposed initial load of GLSDBs, stat. That's ~3ft accuracy with 99lbs of fun at 40k a pop. 93 miles of reach. All aspect, hard to hide from. Will produce a whole lot of dead Russians without Ukrainian crews being exposed to fire. Uses HIMARS and M270 launchers or whatever they have handy, they could make their own GLSDB technicals if they wanted to.

Did Pentagon waive cost discovery yet? Anyone know? I can see this munition, with deep mags, breaking the Russians. Well, providing GLSDBs are as hard to intercept as GMLRS. Hopefully we find out soon.

Still a fan of Bradley joining in, not sure we have that many old models though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Pretty healthy arms package. GLSDB is not specifically listed but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Tank showdown yet to come in Germany.

Healthy indeed. Bradleys, more ammo for NASAMS and HIMARS, more night vision, oh la la do I see 600 Excalibur rounds there? Russians really hate Excalibur so sounds marvelous. New S round being used I hope, sounds damn cool. So proud of my taxes, all grown up and seeing the world like that. Heartwarming stuff.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
A great, if long, read for answering policy questions.
It artfully dismantles Russian propaganda of a hostile invading NATO, some of which we face here. Covering facts of how we disarmed following 1991.
Then it covers nuclear proliferation and how a Russian victory would cost us dearly in the future. It would be a blueprint for invading your neighbors and a dire call for nuclear armament and eventual use.

THE GREATEST NUCLEAR THREAT WE FACE IS A RUSSIAN VICTORY

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
And Sweden with a large package. The 40mm gun on the CV90 is nice and ammunition essentially unlimited.

Lithuania will provide 2 helicopters and a lot of 40mm AAA guns.

The Swedish CV90s use the same L70 40mm guns so I really hope these come with programmable 3P ammo. They're very good at clearing trenches and shooting down drones.

Here’s a better demonstration of how this kind of auto cannon ammo works on trenches. Watch from 1:11

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

A likely related article openly speaking of the Russian military buildup, once again in 3 directions surrounding Ukraine.
Russia's 2023 invasion may be larger than the 2022 invasion.
Everything east of the Dnippro is threatened with extermination and ethnic cleansing into Russian hands.

We must have warned the Ukrainians that the war is about to escalate wildly.

Putin’s "Secret" Attack Plan Would Be Ukrainian Nightmare

@kage69 How many dead Ukrainians does it take before you would agree with me, that we have not done enough?
It is not warmongering to want Ukraine to win at its own defense. For Ukraine to survive this invasion and keep its people safe. Or for us to do EVERYTHING possible to ensure that outcome. For us to preserve life to the fullest extent.

Thus far WE HAVE FAILED to do that, and we should be deeply ashamed for our failure to stand for life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
In the event such a large scale attack appeared imminent the US and western allies could supply Kyiv with substantial amounts of previously withheld items like M26 rockets and 155mm DPICM.

An M864 shell spit out of a 52 caliber gun would likely have a range around 40km and would be extraordinarily bad news for an attacking force.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
A likely related article openly speaking of the Russian military buildup, once again in 3 directions surrounding Ukraine.
Russia's 2023 invasion may be larger than the 2022 invasion.
Everything east of the Dnippro is threatened with extermination and ethnic cleansing into Russian hands.

We must have warned the Ukrainians that the war is about to escalate wildly.

Putin’s "Secret" Attack Plan Would Be Ukrainian Nightmare

@kage69 How many dead Ukrainians does it take before you would agree with me, that we have not done enough?
It is not warmongering to want Ukraine to win at its own defense. For Ukraine to survive this invasion and keep its people safe. Or for us to do EVERYTHING possible to ensure that outcome. For us to preserve life to the fullest extent.

Thus far WE HAVE FAILED to do that, and we should be deeply ashamed for our failure to stand for life.

Honest question (not making any rhetorical point) but what do the Russians have left with which to attack? I thought they were already reduced to digging out T62s from storage?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Honest question (not making any rhetorical point) but what do the Russians have left with which to attack? I thought they were already reduced to digging out T62s from storage?

Just whatever Belarus was holding in reserve would be my guess. Whether that's a substantial amount or not, who knows.

Also not sure what the fallout (no pun intended) from the obvious escalation of openly including a 3rd nation in the conflict would be.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, it is hard for me to understand how an offensive last year that involved Russia's best trained and equipped troops failed but now a new attack from conscripted troops with way, way worse equipment (if any) would succeed.

Everything else aside how would they hope to supply this? They couldn't supply their original force.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, it is hard for me to understand how an offensive last year that involved Russia's best trained and equipped troops failed but now a new attack from conscripted troops with way, way worse equipment (if any) would succeed.

Everything else aside how would they hope to supply this? They couldn't supply their original force.

The only thing I can think of is they'll try to overwhelm with expendable manpower to grab whatever territory they can.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like Germany has punted on the tank question yet again.

We'll see if Poland and others get fed up enough to break their re-export agreements.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Some signs of what most people think will be another painful but inevitable cave from a moronic position.

Bloomberg: Germany... will allow other countries to train Ukrainian soldiers on the [Leopard]"
Umm, I'm pretty sure Germany doesn't have any (legal) basis at all to stop other countries from training whoever they want on the Leopard - the restrictions are against re-export of the tanks.