Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 907 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
How do you know he was telling the truth and being asked to change his tune? Oh, that's right... you don't.

I really don't get why you're so eager to tear apart Ukraine. No, we shouldn't give its government a free pass, but it's pretty clear Ukraine is the much better side in this conflict. Unless you really like dictatorships and unprovoked invasions, that is.

Why is he resigning then if it was a simple 'mistake'? Maybe he was asked to lie about it instead and he refused?

Do your research on NATO policy before you call it 'unprovoked'. The same NATO that launched nearly 10,000 raids on Libya and turned it from the most prosperous nation in Africa to an actual slave state.

NATO has been pumping weapons onto Russia's borders for 8 years now and you don't expect its neighbors to react? Let's see how you would react if Russia was pumping weapons onto the US/Mexico border.

The last time this happened to us, this is how we reacted:

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why is he resigning then if it was a simple 'mistake'?
People who make mistakes often resign. Like…duh?

Do your research on NATO policy before you call it 'unprovoked'. The same NATO policy that launched nearly 10,000 raids on Libya and turned it from the prosperous nation in Africa to an actual slave state.
Well it was definitely unprovoked. Really it was also a violation of the UN Charter and Russia’s explicit guarantee of Ukraine’s territorial integrity.

This is another reason why the threat of Russia needs to be stopped here. We know nothing they say or sign can be trusted so any peace deal needs to result in a situation where Russia cannot commit further aggression against its neighbors.

We hoped in the past Russia would desire peace and prosperity more than their former imperial glory but apparently not. Looks like they need to learn the hard way.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
People who make mistakes often resign. Like…duh?

And people often don't, apologize and set the record straight and continue on. So why did he resign?

Well it was definitely unprovoked. Really it was also a violation of the UN Charter and Russia’s explicit guarantee of Ukraine’s territorial integrity.

This is another reason why the threat of Russia needs to be stopped here. We know nothing they say or sign can be trusted so any peace deal needs to result in a situation where Russia cannot commit further aggression against its neighbors.

We hoped in the past Russia would desire peace and prosperity more than their former imperial glory but apparently not. Looks like they need to learn the hard way.

Kind of hard to desire peace when the people you sign peace treaties with have no intention of peace to begin with right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And people often don't, apologize and set the record straight and continue on. So why did he resign?
I like how your argument is ‘sure people who make mistakes resign but sometimes they don’t so I’ll assume that here based on nothing’. Lol.

Kind of hard to desire peace when the people you sign peace treaties with have no intention of peace to begin with right?

I think the easiest way to determine who is most committed to peace in these situations is to check if one of the signatories is currently engaged in an unprovoked and illegal invasion of the other.

Which country was that again? Ah yeah, just checked my notes and it’s Russia.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
I like how your argument is ‘sure people who make mistakes resign but sometimes they don’t so I’ll assume that here based on nothing’. Lol.

I think the easiest way to determine who is most committed to peace in these situations is to check if one of the signatories is currently engaged in an unprovoked and illegal invasion of the other.

Which country was that again? Ah yeah, just checked my notes and it’s Russia.

The easiest way is to see who abides by peace agreements and who doesn't. That's the easiest way to be honest. And when you don't abide by peace agreements, invasions like this tend to happen.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The easiest way is to see who abides by peace agreements and who doesn't. That's the easiest way to be honest. And you don't abide by peace agreements, invasions like this tend to happen.
Lol.
1) Russia had ALREADY INVADED by the time the Minsk accords were signed.
2) Russia made zero effort to abide by them.

So yes, Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, signed accords they didn’t even attempt to abide by, then further invaded in 2022. I would say eight years of straight invasion is not the mark of a peace loving country. Agree?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Why is he resigning then if it was a simple 'mistake'? Maybe he was asked to lie about it instead and he refused?

Do your research on NATO policy before you call it 'unprovoked'. The same NATO that launched nearly 10,000 raids on Libya and turned it from the most prosperous nation in Africa to an actual slave state.

He offered to resign, and it's because it wasn't a simple mistake. He suggested Ukraine may have inadvertently caused civilian deaths, causing outrage in his country and giving the Russians propaganda fodder. He may not have meant any harm by it, but it's not a mistake a political leader can really afford to make — they want to be damn sure that a serious claim like this holds up under scrutiny.

Also, how does NATO policy in any way justify what Russia is doing? The fact remains that Ukraine wasn't threatening Russia, and that Russia invaded based on obviously false pretenses (that Ukraine belongs to Russian culture, that they needed to "de-Nazify" a country run by a Jew, and so on). NATO could cease to exist and that wouldn't change that Russia is clearly in the wrong here.

Reactions: thilanliyan

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Lol.
1) Russia had ALREADY INVADED by the time the Minsk accords were signed.
2) Russia made zero effort to abide by them.

So yes, Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014, signed accords they didn’t even attempt to abide by, then further invaded in 2022. I would say eight years of straight invasion is not the mark of a peace loving country. Agree?

1-The Crimea annexion and the Minks accords are two separate things. You do realize that right? Russia did not invade any further after taking Crimea.

2-Yes they did:

Frustrated by the continuing refusal of the U.S. and NATO to provide Russia the security guarantees it requested in December and by the refusal of Ukraine to fully implement the measures agreed by the Russian, Ukrainian, French and German leaders at Minsk in February 2015 to end the conflict between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine that began in the spring of 2014, Russian President Vladimir Putin went on television at 6 a.m. this morning, local time, and announced a “special military operation” in that region.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
He offered to resign, and it's because it wasn't a simple mistake. He suggested Ukraine may have inadvertently caused civilian deaths, causing outrage in his country and giving the Russians propaganda fodder. He may not have meant any harm by it, but it's not a mistake a political leader can really afford to make — they want to be damn sure that a serious claim like this holds up under scrutiny.

Also, how does NATO policy in any way justify what Russia is doing? The fact remains that Ukraine wasn't threatening Russia, and that Russia invaded based on obviously false pretenses (that Ukraine belongs to Russian culture, that they needed to "de-Nazify" a country run by a Jew, and so on). NATO could cease to exist and that wouldn't change that Russia is clearly in the wrong here.

It is threatening Russia when it's main adversary(NATO) puts weapons on it's borders for 8 straight years. You know, kind of like how we invaded Iraq over the 'threat' of nuclear weapons. The difference is Iraq has zero nukes, and NATO weapons pumping is a real thing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
1-The Crimea annexion and the Minks accords are two separate things. You do realize that right? Russia did not invade any further after taking Crimea.
Great, so you agree at the time of signing Russia had already invaded Ukraine.

Invading your neighbors is not the mark of a peaceful country, agree?

2-Yes they did:
Nothing in that article says Russia intended to follow the Minsk Accords and regardless the proof is in the pudding - they never did.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It is threatening Russia when it's main adversary(NATO) puts weapons on it's borders for 8 straight years. You know, kind of like how we invaded Iraq over the 'threat' of nuclear weapons. The difference is Iraq has zero nukes, and NATO weapons pumping is a real thing.

NATO weapons have been on USSR/Russian borders for like 75 years. Also, last time I checked, weapons systems don't need to be parked right next door anymore. Those arguments are complete BS.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
JFK would disagree with you.

We're not talking about 60 years ago. We're talking about current events. If you can't keep up, maybe you should find a better use of your time.

The point still stands. It's an illogical argument based all current factors. There's nothing that refutes that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So we'll just ignore Russia's 2015 invasion of eastern Ukraine. LOL
Also it’s pretty funny that his reasoning was ‘well if you don’t count the first invasion…’

I don’t know, he writes like someone originally fluent in English so if he’s not he at least was trained well. I think the more likely response is he’s some idiot tankie whose habits of hating the west are so ingrained he can’t admit that Russia turned out to be exactly what people warned about.

Reactions: Leeea

Drach

Apr 24, 2022
NATO has been pumping weapons onto Russia's borders for 8 years now and you don't expect its neighbors to react? Let's see how you would react if Russia was pumping weapons onto the US/Mexico border.
I would have zero issues with Mexico having any Russian weapons. The 2 countries are mutually beneficial.

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
We're not talking about 60 years ago. We're talking about current events. If you can't keep up, maybe you should find a better use of your time.

The point still stands. It's an illogical argument based all current factors. There's nothing that refutes that.

Fine. 2003 invasion of Iraq. And we weren’t worried about weapons on our borders, but in a country thousands of miles away. You do realize countries invade other countries due to potential hostile threats right? We’re experts at it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk