Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 856 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

Ukraine gets enough support to prevent Russia winning but not enough for Ukraine to win either. Unless this changes I don't see this war ending anytime soon.
if true, it's disappointing to hear, but locking out longer range functionality is technically understandable assuming it was done when they first provided himars. preventing escalation would have been top priority. in the following months the UAF has demonstrated disciplined use of the system and according to a commenter on the uk?/ger? news have even offered to let US advisors pick which targets the himar extended range rockets would be tasked to.

hopefully the US will change this policy in time for the spring/summer offensive.

Reactions: Leeea

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Ukraine gets enough support to prevent Russia winning but not enough for Ukraine to win either. Unless this changes I don't see this war ending anytime soon.

The M270s they received are probably ATACMS capable since they didn't come from us. They'd have to find a willing supplier though who wasn't the US and who would risk other US made weapons procurements to supply them to Ukraine without our consent.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
The M270s they received are probably ATACMS capable since they didn't come from us. They'd have to find a willing supplier though who wasn't the US and who would risk other US made weapons procurements to supply them to Ukraine without our consent.
Turkey? They seem to wants to be friends and enemies with everyone at the same time :p

Reactions: Bitek and Drach

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Famous Russian air defense net all but impenetrable except to refitted Soviet recon drones and German teenagers in rented Cessna Skyhawks.
As far as I can tell most of their good soldiers are in Ukraine (some alive, some dead, haha). Then they backfilled the good soldiers with the kind of crappy soldiers. Then they backfilled those with drunken 55 year olds. Who is left?

So while of course I have no idea as to the particulars here the fact that Russian air defense within their own country is not good is not terribly surprising.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Turkey? They seem to wants to be friends and enemies with everyone at the same time :p

I'm not saying the J-600T from Roketsan would fit in a purpose built pod for the M270 but I'm not saying it wouldn't...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As far as I can tell most of their good soldiers are in Ukraine (some alive, some dead, haha). Then they backfilled the good soldiers with the kind of crappy soldiers. Then they backfilled those with drunken 55 year olds. Who is left?

So while of course I have no idea as to the particulars here the fact that Russian air defense within their own country is not good is not terribly surprising.

Yes, a lot of the equipment and personnel has been sent to Ukraine. So much that Russian assets in the rear are clearly pretty vulnerable if you are not even really guarding the very few strategic air bases you've got. Russia has always been very proud of their surface to air capabilities but as usual they've been trading on old reputations.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Poland has begun to receive K2 tanks and K9 howitzers from South Korea.

Production of later tranches of the huge Polish order (some 1000 K2PL tanks and almost 700 K9PL howitzers) will occur domestically in Poland.

The Poles it seems, really want to make sure they can stand on their own against Russia and it’s the right thing imo because as I see it Germany and France still aren’t thaking the threat seriously.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Poles it seems, really want to make sure they can stand on their own against Russia and it’s the right thing imo because as I see it Germany and France still aren’t thaking the threat seriously.

Russia is less popular in Poland than many diseases and there are good reasons for that, resulting in their desire to be armed to the teeth in the face of their once again aggressive neighbor.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Russia is less popular in Poland than many diseases and there are good reasons for that, resulting in their desire to be armed to the teeth in the face of their once again aggressive neighbor.
People often remember how world war 2 started with the Nazis invading Poland but conveniently forget it also started with the Russians invading Poland.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, it's why I've always worried how a stray incident into Poland from this conflict would be received. They wouldn't need much to feel provoked.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Kinda have to agree with this..

Not sure what the NYT editors were thinking..

A thug comes at you with a knife, you take the knife away. Is that escalation or de-escalation?!

"if something is launched into other countries’ airspace, sooner or later unknown flying objects will return to departure point."
- Aide to President Volodymyr Zelensk