Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 855 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
if you read my post, it wasnt about taking UKR oil but about preventing UKR from selling their oil to europe.
I did read your post and directly responded to it. I thought the idea that Ukraine might try to do something with those resources was obvious.

Again, any articles to this effect, especially ones with any empirical evaluation of the effect of Ukraine oil exportation on oil prices? My bet is the economic argument makes basically zero sense.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
I did read your post and directly responded to it. I thought the idea that Ukraine might try to do something with those resources was obvious.

Again, any articles to this effect, especially ones with any empirical evaluation of the effect of Ukraine oil exportation on oil prices? My bet is the economic argument makes basically zero sense.
literally the first result of search

the crimea annexation was about getting a win to show the russian public, the oil/gas outcomes was just a bonus cherry. this was relevant in 2014, but oil/gas has nothing to do with the 2022 invasion.

edit: one other thing was back in 2014 i think there was the issue of one of the pipelines from ru to EU ran through UKR. although the sevastopol navy base lease was also part of it.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
literally the first result of search

the crimea annexation was about getting a win to show the russian public, the oil/gas outcomes was just a bonus cherry. this was relevant in 2014, but oil/gas has nothing to do with the 2022 invasion.

edit: one other thing was back in 2014 i think there was the issue of one of the pipelines from ru to EU ran through UKR. although the sevastopol navy base lease was also part of it.
Yes, I am also of the opinion that capturing Ukraine's natural gas resources had nothing to do with the 2022 invasion.

Also, if you're saying that articles say X it is perfectly reasonable for someone to ask you what articles you are referencing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Am I the only person who thinks that Ukraine should use the drones and attack Russian energy infrastructure? Time for an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth and I'd love to see Moscow go dark this winter.

Ukraine has been attacking power stations and electrical substations in Belgorod oblast in retaliation. Military targets deeper in Russia are juicer targets since they've shifted too much AD gear to the war zone and they also tend to explode when struck.

Reactions: Racan

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Russia is really playing with fire with the drone crap since (i suspect) they have little defense against them and a whole lot more to lose.... Their only wild card is the 'nuclear' threat in response to such action. I'd like to see Ukraine destroy a few hundred Russian long range bombers - wouldn't you...

Reactions: Zorba
Nov 17, 2019
They claim the drones were intercepted and shot down, the falling debris doing the damage.

"Hours earlier, explosions rocked two air bases deep inside Russia, and the Defense Ministry in Moscow said it had shot down two Ukrainian drones attacking the sites, and that three Russian servicemen were killed by falling debris and four others were wounded."

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
report/interview about gepard operations vs drones. one crewman indicates that they only need 3 rounds to take out a shahed drone, that is from both barrels, total 6 rounds which is still more expensive that the shahed but not by that much. certainly less than the millions of dollars for iads sams. but they definitely need a new source of 35mm ammo.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You don't have to like it, but this is how diplomacy, high level diplomacy, works. If you want a bloody, aggressive monster to stop being a monster, you don't call them a monster, you offer them "security guarantees" (within their pre-war borders only, of course) to give them an out to stop being a monster. They then can say to their populace that this is all they wanted in the first place, no matter how much of a bloody fucking lie it is. This is not playground fairness, this is realpolitik.

And, please, I'm not saying this will work, not at all.. I'm saying that this is how the diplomatic process begins. It's an excruciatingly convoluted and internecine process full of cynicism and lies, and it IS how opposing nations deal with each other.

And I am NOT saying Ukraine should cede one inch of territory to Russia in the end. Just remember two things about war. 1. War is hell and 2. War is diplomacy by other means. War cannot go on forever if one side cannot completely vanquish the other. Diplomacy is the end game between nations, ever and always.

But but but..

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007

Ill counter with this:

Petro Poroshenko said the Minsk agreements “meant nothing” and claimed credit for giving Kiev enough time to militarize

Petro Poroshenko has admitted that the 2015 ceasefire in Donbass, which he negotiated with Russia, France and Germany as president of Ukraine, was merely a distraction intended to buy time for Kiev to rebuild its military.

He made the comments in interviews with several news outlets this week, including Germany’s Deutsche Welle television and the Ukrainian branch of the US state-run Radio Free Europe. Poroshenko also defended his record as president between 2014 and 2019.

“We had achieved everything we wanted,” he said of the peace deal. “Our goal was to, first, stop the threat, or at least to delay the war – to secure eight years to restore economic growth and create powerful armed forces.”

So in other words, they had signed a peace agreement with Putin regarding the Donbass, promising to stop shelling eastern Ukraine. They had zero intention of actually bringing peace and instead bomb the fuck out of it and at the same time used the time to rebuild their forces.

It's funny because whenever a potential peace deal is brought up, the warmongers say all it will do is allow Putin to rebuild his forces for another invasion. And yet here was have evidence that it was actually Ukraine who used the agreement to buy time to build up it's forces.

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
And yet here was have evidence that it was actually Ukraine who used the agreement to buy time to build up it's forces.
Sounds like it was smart of Ukraine. It was a cease fire agreement. Not a disarmament agreement. Nor a peace treaty recognising any boundaries of the DPR and LPR. And its not like Russia did all its parts of the Minsk agreement anyways.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', while you are reaching for a rock."

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Sounds like it was smart of Ukraine. It was a cease fire agreement. Not a disarmament agreement.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie', while you are reaching for a rock."
And even now, Ukraine has not invaded nor claimed one inch of Russian territory, and Ukraine continues to limit its targeting to military targets, unlike Russia which hasn't found a Ukrainian civilian yet they didn't want to steal from, rape, and murder (in any order).

Also of note, is who didn't bother to comply with any terms of either of the Minsk agreement requirements - that would be Russia, ever. Return control of the international Ukraine border to Ukraine, with monitoring from OSCE? Never happened. Ceasefire? Never happened, with vast majority of violations initiated by Russian side. Ukraine passed legislation approving the terms, but Russia blocked implementation by maintaining its military control of Ukrainian land contrary to the agreements, and rejecting all options including UN peacekeepers to give up Putin's military control of the Donbas.

While there was shelling from both sides, independent observers noted some 80% of ceasefire violations came from the Russian side.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Ill counter with this:

So in other words, they had signed a peace agreement with Putin regarding the Donbass, promising to stop shelling eastern Ukraine. They had zero intention of actually bringing peace and instead bomb the fuck out of it and at the same time used the time to rebuild their forces.

It's funny because whenever a potential peace deal is brought up, the warmongers say all it will do is allow Putin to rebuild his forces for another invasion. And yet here was have evidence that it was actually Ukraine who used the agreement to buy time to build up it's forces.

You’re a fucking idiot.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
report/interview about gepard operations vs drones. one crewman indicates that they only need 3 rounds to take out a shahed drone, that is from both barrels, total 6 rounds which is still more expensive that the shahed but not by that much. certainly less than the millions of dollars for iads sams. but they definitely need a new source of 35mm ammo.

You only get a quick look at it but the ammo seems to be 35mm HEI made by NAMMO. FAPDS, which I assume the Swiss ammo is, would be better.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Here it is in action, impressive if authentic.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
You only get a quick look at it but the ammo seems to be 35mm HEI made by NAMMO. FAPDS, which I assume the Swiss ammo is, would be better.
i went around the search mystery boxes, the seemingly new fancy toy is the ATOM 35 round. the rods are made up of 152 tungsten pellets that spread into a cone pattern after a small charge goes off. if the AFU are happy with the HEI then it is probably good enough.
Z4vc16bhIK0hes3J60XSAf4SLeaNp2gV4eOhMSURWlU.jpg

TLaO1mc.jpg

Drach

Apr 24, 2022

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
i went around the search mystery boxes, the seemingly new fancy toy is the ATOM 35 round. the rods are made up of 152 tungsten pellets that spread into a cone pattern after a small charge goes off. if the AFU are happy with the HEI then it is probably good enough.
Z4vc16bhIK0hes3J60XSAf4SLeaNp2gV4eOhMSURWlU.jpg

TLaO1mc.jpg

Yeah programmable ammunition is the new hotness. Ukraine would like to have the Swiss made FAPDS rounds in German stocks as it would extend the effective range of the guns by about a kilometer, also NAMMO is probably somewhat limited in what they're able to supply from their line. NAMMO could probably make 35mm FAPDS ammunition but would need the specs from Rheinmetall who may not be eager to share that info.

Reactions: Racan