Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 841 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Lol, like you’ve ever indicated that you give a single fuck about the homeless.

It’s still somewhat inexplicable to me that so many Americans and a sizeable group of Canadians have grown to hate western liberal democracy so much that they prefer to cheerlead for a literal neo-fascist dictator. And at that, one that’s trying to spread discord and harm us in the west.
It is kind of nuts to see people take a legitimate critique (the west is not as nice as it claims) and somehow spin themselves into ‘the US is responsible for Russia’s unprovoked invasion of its neighbors’.

Russia did not have to invade Ukraine, they chose to. Russia is responsible for its own choices.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
They can defend themselves all they want, as long as they pay for it. Why should our tax dollars be sent to them? With the amount of money we have sent them, we could have ended homelessness in every part of this country.

Besides, they got themselves into this mess by deciding to be puppets for the west. Let them deal with it.

To add to what others have said, there have been some pretty clear reasons in recent years why funding Ukraine's self-defense is beneficial for other countries... beyond expressing basic human compassion, that is.

If you want to be cynical, Ukraine is a major agricultural and mineral exporter in the region. If Russia succeeded in annexing Ukraine, it would cause trouble for not just neighboring countries, but those further abroad — it's safe to presume Russia wouldn't export to democratic countries to the degree that a free Ukraine does.

And remember, Putin's goal is imperialist expansion. He insists on uniting countries he sees as 'belonging' to Russian culture, and that means invading them and spreading Russian dictatorship. He's never satisfied with just one territory or one country; he saw the lack of major pushbacks on Crimea and parts of Georgia as evidence he could steal the rest of Ukraine without much of a fight. If we let Putin take Ukraine, he'll just move on to the next country he feels he should own.

For that matter, supporting Ukraine also makes Russia less of a threat in general. It's proving that Russia's military isn't nearly as strong as Putin claims, and it's grinding away that strength on a daily basis. This is also destabilizing Russia itself; more of the population realizes that Putin is lying, and that he's willing to throw people into a meat grinder to satisfy his ambitions. Many Russians have tolerated Putin's autocracy as long as it meant living in comfort; they're less accepting when it means they or a loved one gets drafted into a war they're unlikely to win, and when economic isolation hits home.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
They can defend themselves all they want, as long as they pay for it. Why should our tax dollars be sent to them? With the amount of money we have sent them, we could have ended homelessness in every part of this country.

Besides, they got themselves into this mess by deciding to be puppets for the west. Let them deal with it.

"Puppets for the west." So, removing a Putin Puppet who was attempting to do a Belarus to the country, having FREE ELECTIONS with 74% voting AGAINST another Putin Puppet is being a "puppet for the west?"

So refusing to be a Russian puppet state is being a puppet for the west?

Are you fucking serious right now?

#EveryConseravtiveAccusationIsAConfession

Pathetic.

Just drink the fucking Kool-Aid already for fucks sake.

As for paying for it... THEY ARE and WILL BE. Or hopefully the aggressor state, Russia will with reparations.

Ever hear of Lend/Lease?

It is simply amazing how well right-wing propaganda works. A country that has free elections is a "puppet state" of the west and "bad" and a country that has rigged or suspends elections, suppresses the press and individual freedom and is under the thumb of of a totalitarian dictator is "good."

There is NOTHING good left in the conservative echo-chambers today. You have been groomed for authoritarian rule because your groomers believe that is the only way they can pass their oppressive agenda against against people and freedoms they don't like. That's the whole fucking purpose of the election denial conspiracy gripping the right today. To install a right-wing dictator and do away with elections entirely.

71mCVy29DVS.jpg

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"Puppets for the west." So, removing a Putin Puppet who was attempting to do a Belarus to the country, having FREE ELECTIONS with 74% voting AGAINST another Putin Puppet is being a "puppet for the west?"

So refusing to be a Russian puppet state is being a puppet for the west?

Are you fucking serious right now?

Of course their serious. We mind controlled the people of Ukraine into not licking the boot that stomps them. And now, for Ukraine's audacity to live independent, Russia vows to slaughter them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Of course their serious. We mind controlled the people of Ukraine into not licking the boot that stomps them. And now, for Ukraine's audacity to live independent, Russia vows to slaughter them.
Look, if Ukraine didn’t want Russia to invade them they should stop attempting to enter defensive alliances designed to keep Russia from invading them.

This is another part of this discussion that I find so stupid. When people talk about ‘NATO expansion’ did they ever think to ask those new NATO countries why they wanted to join? It was because Russia spent the last couple centuries invading them!

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
NATO Aggression: Russian missile drops on Poland and NATO be like, nah bruh, we good. Carry on. Perfect pretext for getting boots on the ground and NATO be just like, naaaaah.
Yes. VERY aggressive *defensive* alliance. *VERY*.
Fuck Putin in the eyesocket. These bitches need killing.

Reactions: Leeea

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You sure you're an American there bud?

You sure seem to be talking like a Russkie

Anways I can't stop laughing

Just seen the vid of a Wagner commander trying to kill himself after a drone blew his legs up,

Then it drops the second one to make sure he's dead.

Some of the russians dead in the snow is mad they have fuck all equipment.

Excuse me..

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

A Pooh bear says "Wha?"

Young Grasshopper

Nov 9, 2007
Uh oh:

Nine months after invading Ukraine, Vladimir Putin is beginning to fracture the West.
Top European officials are furious with Joe Biden’s administration and now accuse the Americans of making a fortune from the war, while EU countries suffer.
“The fact is, if you look at it soberly, the country that is most profiting from this war is the U.S. because they are selling more gas and at higher prices, and because they are selling more weapons,” one senior official told POLITICO.
The explosive comments — backed in public and private by officials, diplomats and ministers elsewhere — follow mounting anger in Europe over American subsidies that threaten to wreck European industry. The Kremlin is likely to welcome the poisoning of the atmosphere among Western allies.

• Haha
Reactions: Leeea and zinfamous

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

You sure you're an American there bud?

You sure seem to be talking like a Russkie

Anways I can't stop laughing

Just seen the vid of a Wagner commander trying to kill himself after a drone blew his legs up,

Then it drops the second one to make sure he's dead.

Some of the russians dead in the snow is mad they have fuck all equipment.

Excuse me..

I just can't take pleasure in videos like that. Don't get me wrong, the Russians and their mercenaries are doing horrible things in Ukraine. But I can't delight in watching someone spend their last moments in agony, no matter what they've done; not even Putin, if it ever gets to that point.

For that matter... while I will fling an enthusiastic middle finger to Russian soldiers who are eager to attack Ukraine, I can't help but sympathize a bit with the reluctant ones dragged into the invasion through the draft. Imagine you're just trying to make ends meet, and suddenly you're shipped hundreds of miles away to fight a losing war you didn't really want with terrible training and sub-par (or even missing) equipment. You'd probably be frightened senseless, especially since there's a real chance you'll never see your family again.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In context, the videos of war and the suffering of the Russians on the battlefield.
One must remember what the Russians already have done to the Ukrainian people. What they intend to do UNLESS they are stopped.
Well, this is what stopping them looks like. This is what it looks like to defend the Ukrainians from horrific torture, rape, slavery, and death. Russians would harm us in this way if they could.

It is our duty to get it done. To defend from invaders. It is okay if you cannot stomach watching it, we all have our limits.
But monsters moving in to slaughter people will get no mercy in my mind. In fact, I only wish we would do more to ensure they all meet a swift end and are driven back to their own borders.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I just can't take pleasure in videos like that. Don't get me wrong, the Russians and their mercenaries are doing horrible things in Ukraine. But I can't delight in watching someone spend their last moments in agony, no matter what they've done; not even Putin, if it ever gets to that point.

For that matter... while I will fling an enthusiastic middle finger to Russian soldiers who are eager to attack Ukraine, I can't help but sympathize a bit with the reluctant ones dragged into the invasion through the draft. Imagine you're just trying to make ends meet, and suddenly you're shipped hundreds of miles away to fight a losing war you didn't really want with terrible training and sub-par (or even missing) equipment. You'd probably be frightened senseless, especially since there's a real chance you'll never see your family again.

These are the very same Russkies who are raping young girls in Ukraine and then executing them and their families for sport.

This isn't the Russians and Ukrainians dueling pistols at dawn.. this is war.

So why should we not celebrate at the suffering of those who go out of their way to make others suffer for no reason at all except for sport?

Reactions: Leeea and Bitek

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
These are the very same Russkies who are raping young girls in Ukraine and then executing them and their families for sport.

This isn't the Russians and Ukrainians dueling pistols at dawn.. this is war.

So why should we not celebrate at the suffering of those who go out of their way to make others suffer for no reason at all except for sport?

Because we're supposed to be better than them. I want to show the basic empathy Putin and many Russian soldiers refuse to provide.

And again, this doesn't excuse any Russian who does terrible things and is otherwise enthusiastic about the invasion; I might not enjoy watching them suffer, but I won't feel sorry if they meet a painful end. I'm just thinking of the ones who are genuinely reluctant pawns in Putin's game.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Imagine you're just trying to make ends meet, and suddenly you're shipped hundreds of miles away to fight a losing war you didn't really want with terrible training and sub-par (or even missing) equipment. You'd probably be frightened senseless, especially since there's a real chance you'll never see your family again.
Always the option of some good old fashioned fragging followed by a surrender to your nearest Ukrainian unit. Just walk west, you'll find one quickly.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Because we're supposed to be better than them. I want to show the basic empathy Putin and many Russian soldiers refuse to provide.

And again, this doesn't excuse any Russian who does terrible things and is otherwise enthusiastic about the invasion; I might not enjoy watching them suffer, but I won't feel sorry if they meet a painful end. I'm just thinking of the ones who are genuinely reluctant pawns in Putin's game.

Speaking of Russian public sentiment....
The media portrayal is something else...

We must do more. The Russians want far more blood than they have already given and taken.

Putin’s supporters call for the liquidation of Ukraine as ‘genocidal rhetoric’ swells