Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 779 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
So, how hard was it to actually do the work this time and post support for your claims?

About 2 minutes. But I have been in that industry for decades. I literally lived and worked through all of what I posted and zero people in the industry would ask me for “links”.

Since it took for so little time, anyone seriously researching my post would have had zero issue finding it, but what I posted is so well known that anyone following the space would know.

I think the Democrats talk a good game, especially for solar, but actually have impeded it and made it more expensive and have made it worse for the industry overall.

State by state, California and Texas are real leaders in renewable energy and they have opposite politics so maybe it is not just the politics?

the first few versions of the IRA was so loaded with pork and outlier agenda items that it was impassable in the evenly divided Senate. The final version was stripped down to what the industry actually had been asking for.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
About 2 minutes. But I have been in that industry for decades. I literally lived and worked through all of what I posted and zero people in the industry would ask me for “links”.

see! not hard at all!

Since it took for so little time, anyone seriously researching my post would have had zero issue finding it, but what I posted is so well known that anyone following the space would know.

I think the Democrats talk a good game, especially for solar, but actually have impeded it and made it more expensive and have made it worse for the industry overall.

State by state, California and Texas are real leaders in renewable energy and they have opposite politics so maybe it is not just the politics?

the first few versions of the IRA was so loaded with pork and outlier agenda items that it was impassable in the evenly divided Senate. The final version was stripped down to what the industry actually had been asking for.

whether or not I or anyone here agrees with you, I think it's important to understand that this helps more people to see where you're coming from. You have floated between "maybe knows some things about stuff and is being overly-pessimistic if not necessarily so...." to "oh, could be a hidden orc. Who knows? He never supports anything that he claims."

There is this arrogance that pushes people off immediately, when anyone makes claims that are generally agreed to be quite counter to the common understanding of the issue, and then explicitly refuses to support those claims if only because of some claimed "expertise on the topic, so just trust me, because I have no time to deal with you people."

Does that make sense? The above paragraph is pretty much what people have been seeing in your posts...not that in reality it has to be a fair assessment of you, just that it's all that we can see from the posts that you put here in these online forums. That is our perspective, which is entirely limited by how you present yourself. You have to understand that's how this works.

Your length of membership is irrelevant, especially because your account has been, pretty much vacant for a very long time. At least in these forums. Other people who have been here for much less time have a well-established ideology or personality or whatever, so we already know where many of us are coming from. We already have an idea of the intent behind individual posters and their comments because we "know them" already (in the sense that you can from these online interactions).

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
see! not hard at all!

whether or not I or anyone here agrees with you, I think it's important to understand that this helps more people to see where you're coming from. You have floated between "maybe knows some things about stuff and is being overly-pessimistic if not necessarily so...." to "oh, could be a hidden orc. Who knows? He never supports anything that he claims."

There is this arrogance that pushes people off immediately, when anyone makes claims that are generally agreed to be quite counter to the common understanding of the issue, and then explicitly refuses to support those claims if only because of some claimed "expertise on the topic, so just trust me, because I have no time to deal with you people."

Does that make sense? The above paragraph is pretty much what people have been seeing in your posts...not that in reality it has to be a fair assessment of you, just that it's all that we can see from the posts that you put here in these online forums. That is our perspective, which is entirely limited by how you present yourself. You have to understand that's how this works.

Your length of membership is irrelevant, especially because your account has been, pretty much vacant for a very long time. At least in these forums. Other people who have been here for much less time have a well-established ideology or personality or whatever, so we already know where many of us are coming from. We already have an idea of the intent behind individual posters and their comments because we "know them" already (in the sense that you can from these online interactions).

I have said this before, feel freee to ignore my posts. When I post opinion, then I am posting opinion. I am not seeking to debate, I am just posting my opinion.

Sometimes I post on my main rig, sometimes I post on my phone, often between things or when waiting for a meeting to start. I may or may not be easily able to post links.

I have a few areas of deep if narrow knowedge. Renewable energy, and in particular solar is one of them. Accounting/finance is another.

If I am talking about the different T variations of Russian tanks, then I have zero experience.

The only arrogance that people may experience is my lack of desire to degenerate into link soup. Opinion pieces in newspapers do not generally have tons of detailed back-up. Treat my posts as an angry neighbour in you local town paper writing a letter complaining about a lack of parking and you will feel better about them.

When I want to share an article I read, then I post a link. When I want to share my views after reading many articles, then I post my views.

I don't need to be taught how to post on the internet, I have benn posting on BBS and Usenet and the internet since the days of 300 baud modems. Although I only owned 1200 and up, the 300 one I used I borrowed.

Reactions: Zor Prime

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Boom. Help Ukraine degrade the global bully, expose Russia as the enemy of peace and stability and the dividend is functioning diplomacy and peace. Giving into blackmail and threats only invites more war. Putin and the thugs that run the place need to be shown the 20th century is over - their choices are get with the times, retreat and stay isolated and subservient to China, or be sunflower food. Moscow gets it, just look at Peskov bringing up negotiations now. Looks like those new drones aren't making a big enough difference people.

z5yZ1cf.png

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The president of Tajikistan chewed Putin out for a good 10 minutes the other day and he had to sit there and take it.

That Russia is losing power to influence and control its sphere is increasingly undeniable.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I have said this before, feel freee to ignore my posts. When I post opinion, then I am posting opinion. I am not seeking to debate, I am just posting my opinion.

Sometimes I post on my main rig, sometimes I post on my phone, often between things or when waiting for a meeting to start. I may or may not be easily able to post links.

I have a few areas of deep if narrow knowedge. Renewable energy, and in particular solar is one of them. Accounting/finance is another.

If I am talking about the different T variations of Russian tanks, then I have zero experience.

The only arrogance that people may experience is my lack of desire to degenerate into link soup. Opinion pieces in newspapers do not generally have tons of detailed back-up. Treat my posts as an angry neighbour in you local town paper writing a letter complaining about a lack of parking and you will feel better about them.

When I want to share an article I read, then I post a link. When I want to share my views after reading many articles, then I post my views.

I don't need to be taught how to post on the internet, I have benn posting on BBS and Usenet and the internet since the days of 300 baud modems. Although I only owned 1200 and up, the 300 one I used I borrowed.

Ignore your posts? And deny ourselves your constant victim routine with inane technology related age references?

Seriously though, opinions are fine but if you cite events, people, etc related to this conflict with a quick supportive link that helps your position, in addition to satisfying the desire we have here to vet info. This would seem to be a trivial point for someone aware of so much propaganda and misinformation out there. You don't seem to care if you're part of the problem, perhaps that explains why you get called out so much? But let's not get carried away and equate this standard of citation with a "descent in link soup." You are an adult and can choose what, when and where you post. I don't know why you consider substantiated info such a burden, or why you feel it threatens your sense of agency.

This is a forum of debate though, sorry. If that's not comfortable maybe it's you who should relocate to a setting more befitting your sensitivities, or utilize the Ignore function.

But, just a reminder, not a single person here gives even a fraction of a fuck how old you are or what hardware you used in the 90s. OK? It's all about the posts. Can't comply with mod requests for the thread? Wait till you're in front of a computer. I do it all the time. Just want to shout out opinions with your fingers in your ears? Idk, maybe try twitter?

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Some smart Russians in Kherson

Not trained, under supplied, cold, miserable, being attacked with superior weaponry... Imagine how awesome that first hot shower will feel.

Reactions: Number1 and Leeea

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Ignore your posts? And deny ourselves your constant victim routine with inane technology related age references?

Seriously though, opinions are fine but if you cite events, people, etc related to this conflict with a quick supportive link that helps your position, in addition to satisfying the desire we have here to vet info. This would seem to be a trivial point for someone aware of so much propaganda and misinformation out there. You don't seem to care if you're part of the problem, perhaps that explains why you get called out so much? But let's not get carried away and equate this standard of citation with a "descent in link soup." You are an adult and can choose what, when and where you post. I don't know why you consider substantiated info such a burden, or why you feel it threatens your sense of agency.

This is a forum of debate though, sorry. If that's not comfortable maybe it's you who should relocate to a setting more befitting your sensitivities, or utilize the Ignore function.

But, just a reminder, not a single person here gives even a fraction of a fuck how old you are or what hardware you used in the 90s. OK? It's all about the posts. Can't comply with mod requests for the thread? Wait till you'll in front of computer. I do it all the time. Just want to shout out opinions with your fingers in your ears? Idk, maybe try twitter?

yawn.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
To shorten the silly and off topic posts.

Ignore my posts if you want.

If a moderator or admin asks me to stop posting I will but this is not the more special debate forum, this is P&N. Personal attacks are strongly discouraged even here and calling me an “orc” is a personal attack.

Otherwise I shall continue to see what I can learn about the fight in Ukraine.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

dude. just trying to be helpful and nothing more. The rest of your post here is more of the nonsense arrogance that everyone sees, where you seem to require unearned respect for your claims, based on a claimed level of experience that we can only take your word for.

You seem to feel that you are being treated unequally because of the difference in "support requirements" for your claims between different members here. My only point is that, and this should be obvious to you or anyone, many of us have been here regularly over several years so we already know what to expect from certain people and whether or not their claims and comments about certain subjects can be taken with an established level of expertise, or whether or not they bare more scrutiny on a case by case basis. Simply because you have no actual history posting here, we don't have that background established for you yet, so there will be default skepticism, especially during times that you make claims counter towards generally-established evidence-based arguments. None of us are posting in a vacuum and expect to have everything we say to be immediately believed. That trust takes time.

For me, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise, or of course make an account and immediately start posting the same copy-pasted troll nonsense that is typical of fake internet accounts (That isn't you, by the way).

No one is trying to teach you anything....other than you actually seem to need that sort of education because you can't understand why you are being challenged in the same way that EVERYONE here has been and is challenged, because you are incapable of considering perspectives outside of your own? ...I don't know man.

I absolutely get that you have real world things going on and of course no one expects constant support for every single post because time is a real thing. Simply understand that you don't need to present yourself as the constant victim of distrustful internet people that have only ever really asked you why you are one of very few people consistently posting narratives that run counter to the common message. That isn't inherently a bad thing--just helps to establish a framework from where you are coming from.

FWIW, I read your posts and give a lot of credit to the things you say even if there appear to be some holes there. This is a very heated topic, of course, so the "temperature" in this room is going to run a bit hotter than others. You don't read at all like a troll to me and I think you are very much posting your honest perspective from what I can only imagine is the type of life experience and expertise in the subjects that you claim; just...I think it's easier to be skeptical and guarded in this topic because it often attracts crazy propagandist assholes with an already-established history in these forums (@Young Grasshopper), or absolute legit Russian trollfarm propagandists assigned to this place for their mission (@whyitso).

And those aren't the only examples. We have a lot of well-established sociopaths that post here regularly, so members here tend to be on guard for signs of this stuff. I actually don't think anyone here "believes" you are either of those types or really near their level of influenced propaganda, despite our immediate reactions to some of your posts, but the subject here is simply going to inspire more reactions that are a bit, uh, quick-tempered.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This is kind of surprising really. Given the amount of saber rattling from Putin I'd have thought they'd cancel this but yeah, I guess Stoltenberg's comments are commendable.

Steadfast Noon still a Go

Russia and NATO will go ahead with large-scale nuclear exercises in the coming weeks despite concern over Russian President Vladimir Putin’s hints that the Ukraine war might prompt him to turn to his nuclear arsenal. “NATO’s firm, predictable behavior, our military strength, is the best way to prevent escalation.”

Provided Putin doesn't screw around I guess.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Still providing some supporting links or information about your background goes a long way to establishing your experience and trustworthiness with people who don’t know you.

Even if we know you have a deep but narrow knowledge on a topic that narrowness can mean your opinion is either spot on or off the mark.

I too have very deep narrow knowledge of solar power but I couldn’t tell you anything about US solar tax incentives, anymore than you could tell me how to keep a solar / battery power system from violating thermal constraints when it’s been in direct sun for 3 days continuously.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
This is kind of surprising really. Given the amount of saber rattling from Putin I'd have thought they'd cancel this but yeah, I guess Stoltenberg's comments are commendable.

Steadfast Noon still a Go

Russia and NATO will go ahead with large-scale nuclear exercises in the coming weeks despite concern over Russian President Vladimir Putin’s hints that the Ukraine war might prompt him to turn to his nuclear arsenal. “NATO’s firm, predictable behavior, our military strength, is the best way to prevent escalation.”

Provided Putin doesn't screw around I guess.

These are conducted in a way so as to obviously not be threatening, Putin can't credibly claim it's an incoming attack.

Reactions: Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

what a fucking crybaby bitch, lol. There was probably a time, about 4 or 5 months ago, when Elon may have happily "given away" Starlink for Ukraine's war efforts without question, but it seems to me that the turd river he stepped into with the completely self-imposed disastrous deal he made to pick up Twitter has inspired to find all sorts of ways to soak taxpayer cash (US subsidies for his "generous donation to UKR") to offset and negate his billions dollars loss.

which gets me to thinking....

US cost to UKR war effort to date: $17 billion
Elon Musk purchase of Twitter: $44 billion

You know, he could have made a much better life decision if he honestly wants people to like him. (hint--he doesn't. Elon doesn't care what other humans think)

(I know that's an absurd comparison, there; but in general just consider the cost of actual real issues in the world: Malaria, clean water access, food and shelter, invading orc armies, etc, and compare that to the money that billionaire assholes, pretty much gifted the vast majority of their wealth through government programs and paid-for infrastructure, spend on self-serving vanity projects that contributes absolutely nothing to the rest of the world; and certainly doesn't restore any amount of the cost and resources that they have grifted from humanity to pay for the "shamecost" of tiny penis syndrome.) This is a very real thing and for anyone that is perplexed as to why most people have no real love for mass wealth accumulation, then you aren't paying attention.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
These are conducted in a way so as to obviously not be threatening, Putin can't credibly claim it's an incoming attack.

It's been planned for awhile on both sides, trying to use it to substantiate an attack on Russia would indeed probably be a hard sell.

Something else though, an "accident" that causes the loss of NATO (or Russian) lives or assets as some kind of FU for all the weapons support, or to justify some other course of action. That's a different animal.

Reactions: Leeea