Russia on brink of ... NOPE! Russia INVADES Ukraine!

Page 743 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Every time I have to machine HY-80 into whatever spec. being called for, I feel a need to call in sick and have one of the FNG's take a whack at it. Nasty stuff where speeds, feeds and depths of cut get slowed down to a crawl. Worse than some of the exotics.
they probably got some of the 'special' steel the one lady felt was good enough.
this was on the news a while ago, they summarized it as "the woman saw spec requirements for the metal and thought the navy was being overkill. so she faked the test data so the samples would pass because the navy was being silly" about the metal used in subs.

she got found out and lied during the investigation.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain “wartime scenarios,” the Justice Department said.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

gonna be hard to run now that the makeshift bridge is gone as well

not confirmed yet

better check the caterpillar drive and shoot the cooks just to be safe.

are they going to air drop supplies or just hope that all the orcs there slow down the AFU as they clear out the starving frozen conscripts holed up in buildings?

RnR_au

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2021
Do Russian nukes even work? Nobody even tests them.

I have a feeling that Putin's next escalation point would be an atmospheric test. Highly visible with excellent propaganda reach into the Western world.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Unlike Russia there were massive protests in Belarus when their current dictator won another sham election.

I believe it went on for several weeks with tens of thousands arrested, unfortunately the official opposition leader had to flea the country.

If they mobilize again they will have the same scenario again and I don't think Lukashenko survives with what's happening in Ukraine.

Belarus is most likely to see a popular uprising out of all the Russian puppet states.

some of the people who had to flee belarus because of the crackdowns are preparing for the coming fight. their husbands joined the AFU.

they seem to be hoping that if rus/putin are beaten and their forces depleted it will create an opportunity where lukashenko wont have any backup in a coup/revolt.

Reactions: zinfamous and Leeea

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
some of the people who had to flee belarus because of the crackdowns are preparing for the coming fight. their husbands joined the AFU.

they seem to be hoping that if rus/putin are beaten and their forces depleted it will create an opportunity where lukashenko wont have any backup in a coup/revolt.

Crimea and Belarus are fine compensations for this war.
It would secure Ukraine both north and south.
Even if no violence occurs in Belarus, we should make a serious peace and incentive offer.

Reactions: Leeea

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I worry about a possible 240,000 strong invasion force from Belarus.
They might be fresh enough and equipped enough to do something note worthy. Especially given the scale.
I do not expect much more from Russia's initial invasion force from Feb 2022. Given the casualty numbers, I imagine they are mostly spent.

Luko announced yesterday that he is contributing to the effort for Russia by defending Belarussia from the aggressors in Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland. LoL--he said that he's keeping Ukrainian's trapped and Russian advances protected by keeping the buffer with his aggressive anti-Rus neighbors.

He actually said that. (yes, to keep his military happy). I'll dig it up in a bit.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It was Britain that created Iran and it was the Shah who turned Iran into a totalitarian nation. I am certain Jimmy Carter was not expecting the U.S. Embassy in Tehran to be overrun after he allowed the ailing Shah into the U.S. for cancer treatment.

So, fast forward. What are you blaming Iran for now? Resisting U.S. hegemony? Refusing to bow to Israel? Or because Iran's morality police arrest women who don't wear head scarfs correctly?

Well, in the U.S., we expel Black teenagers from schools for wearing their hair in braids or dreads. We threaten their parents, caregivers and supporters. What the frig is the difference? Iran always had a different culture - but you think White Westerners have a right to change that.

Do you know what Middle East nation had a culture that, in some places, was akin to the U.S.? Iraq!

The country's teenagers wore blue jeans, listened to Walkmans and before its invasion of Kuwait, Iraq boasted the world's seventh best health system, according to long-established medical journal Lancet.

We have forgotten what a frigging mess we left Iraq after the 2003 invasion. After the U.S. arranged the hanging of Saddam Hussein and several in his government.

Rather than being a viable Democracy, (which was the lie of Dubya and his cronies), Iraq is now a maelstrom of violence. This is what happens when addle-brained Westerners think they know best. BTW, just where are those dastardly WMD's? Where is the nuke Saddam was supposedly building?

But here you are, Bitek, casually discussing the decapitation of the leaderships of countries you know little about, but don't like.

Independent nations have a right to choose their own self-determination. And the U.S. has no right to tell other countries what type of governments they should have. Or what religions their populace should practice.

Wow, you took a thread and really ran with it.

You understand the statement was metaphorical?

Religious self determination, blah blah blah, nowhere mentioned.

I don't care what temple anyone goes to, but that doesn't give anyone the right to start tossing nukes.

Are you suggesting countries should be tolerated launching nukes? What is the point of that WoT you wrote?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lezunto

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Crimea and Belarus are fine compensations for this war.
It would secure Ukraine both north and south.
Even if no violence occurs in Belarus, we should make a serious peace and incentive offer.

Transnistria gets cleared by UA about 16 hours after treating signing.

woops! ....let's call it, eh, "The Battle of New Orleans, Ukraine style!" yeah, that'll work. Heroes all around.

2 years later. Transnistria gets "donated" back to Moldova, all free and stuff.

Meanwhile, stuff happens in Abkezia. Little green men go byebye and no come back. Military zones disappear.

--stans gonna gone. All of them. These are all the things that pretty much have to happen within 10 years of the defeat of the Russian military and the end of Putin, for any way for Russia to become relevant again.

It has to hurt. Mafioso pieces of horseshit don't get to do this to their countries, their people, and all of their neighbors. They have to fucking pay.

Reactions: Muse and Leeea

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Bitek,

One thing about folks who type wild things: You regret typing them when someone who understands history weighs in.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Luko announced yesterday that he is contributing to the effort for Russia by defending Belarussia from the aggressors in Lithuania, Latvia, and Poland. LoL--he said that he's keeping Ukrainian's trapped and Russian advances protected by keeping the buffer with his aggressive anti-Rus neighbors.

He actually said that. (yes, to keep his military happy). I'll dig it up in a bit.

well, I can't seem to post it because forwarding to myself the whatsapp link to this twitter account that I received doesn't work, because Twitter more and more wants me to create a fucking twitter account to do or even see anything. I assume it is only going to get worse. All of Twitter will soon be a giant blank wall for the majority of us, I guess!

It was updated/summarized on this twitter feed:
liveuamap

Reactions: Leeea